Polish Catholicism Under Siege?

Polish Catholicism Under Siege?

There are 1 comment on the Transitions Online story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Polish Catholicism Under Siege?. In it, Transitions Online reports that:

If I were a Polish Catholic, I might feel as if the world were crumbling around me.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Transitions Online.

Marix

Kraków, Poland

#1 Mar 20, 2012
Some comments:

1)
The support which is given to the State by the Church which is helping the State in its realizing different social, educational, charity and cultural tasks. The help can be estimated for a few milliards zlotys every year.– It is a vast contribution of the Church in helping people who are in need or people are the poorest and which is seen on the example of caritas. We are conducting 9 thousands centres of material, psychological and legal help on then area of the whole country – says Fr. Marian Subocz, director of Caritas Poland.

Some actions of the Church for the sake of the society have also the support from the state budget; last year it was about 493 million zlotys. On the scale of Poland it is not much because only Caritas gives people help worth 500 millions zlotys every year. Moreover, 89 millions zlotys of the amount coming from the budget was the Fund of the Church.– Today there is a need for destroying a myth built around the Fund of the Church set up in 1950, within compensation for the property taken away from the Church. It is not a gift or a grace from the State towards the Church, but an attempt of giving back justice for what was taken away during the times of the Polish People’s Republic. Only one –third part of the property taken form the church has been given back so far. In the meantime, the government announced liquidation of the Fund.

2)
taxpayers would be given the opportunity to direct 0,3 percent of their taxes to a chosen religion NOT 3% as in the article!

3)
I dont understand why the author uses an adjective "ultra-conservative" , for Catholic television station "Trwam"
The same adjective "conservative" for Rzeczpospolita newspaper. To keep the balance we should name Palikot's Movement as Ultra Leftist anticlerical populist party and Tusk's government as Ultra liberal government. It was Tusk who said publicly some time ago that "I won't kneel down to a priest"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bialystok, Poland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teacher: How many migrants to push overboard? Nov '15 PolakPotrafi 1
News Jewish soldiers in Hitler's army inspire one-ma... (Jan '15) Mar '15 cogent 90
News Dark secrets surrounding Poland's post-war miss... (Jan '15) Jan '15 AbeUG 7
News Belarusians on shopping spree in Poland ahead o... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Pro Belarus 1
News Man Has Surgery to Remove Screwdriver from Head (Mar '13) Oct '14 Enzo49 32
News Polish Prosecutor Cleared of Refusing To Try Sw... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Death of White Race 1
News Poland's Lipka Tatars: A Model For Muslims In E... (Jul '13) Aug '14 Nana 52
More from around the web