Jodi Arias claims self-defense as mur...

Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins

There are 7233 comments on the KTVK Phoenix story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins. In it, KTVK Phoenix reports that:

A defense attorney says an Arizona woman charged with stabbing and shooting her boyfriend to death in 2008 acted in self-defense because he was violent and abusive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVK Phoenix.

Kaligirlsam

United States

#427 Feb 25, 2013
I wonder if anyone took a count of how many lies she admitted to today.
Slayer

Auburn, AL

#428 Feb 25, 2013
[QUOTE who="LA Guy
They know this case is Overcharged, but won't touch it.
Don't laugh, but I believe that Jody is sincere, in believing that TA is looking down on all of this. He would not approve of this cruel prosecution and the First Degree charges.
Granted, justice for the family and also punishment for Jody. Will say it again, the lowest degree Homicide in Arizona, ten years Max![/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not religious and I don't believe that anyone looks down from anywhere following death -- that said, I don't believe for a second that Travis would desire that Jodi walk. He should be ashamed of himself for the way he used her, and recognize his own culpability, but whatever he did to set her off, she had the free will to select another path -- leave him and never look back.

Even with his financial problems, Travis enjoyed his dual life too much to risk his freedom by harming Jodi. Even if he was mad at her, he would have caught himself. Jodi probably looked at his phone and saw a message from the other woman planning to meet up to go to the airport for Cancun trip. I still believe this was a trigger.

This tragedy should be a cautionary tale for others: don't allow yourself to be in the presence of someone who has the power to trigger extreme fear or anger in you in the first place.

BTW, I was trying to be funny when I posted that Martinez took my advice. WTF, doesn't anyone have a sense of humor any more?
Kaligirlsam

United States

#429 Feb 25, 2013
Who says a prosecutor has to be nice? He is dealing with someone who is showing him or the court any respect and the Judge should make her answer clearly for the jury.

Since: Feb 09

Cypress, Texas

#430 Feb 25, 2013
Slayer

Don't know when she started slashing tires, or when she stalked him, but I think that's when Travis started getting pissed at her. If he treated her different because he realized she was psycho at some point. JMO
Another Poster

Melrose Park, IL

#431 Feb 25, 2013
Kaligirlsam wrote:
Who says a prosecutor has to be nice? He is dealing with someone who is showing him or the court any respect and the Judge should make her answer clearly for the jury.
Jodi has not violated the courtroom decorum in any way, under the law, she is allowed to answer questions by saying "to the best of my recollection", she has the right to tell the prosecutor to repeat a question if she doesn't understand it. She also has the right to disagree with the prosecutor when he tries to twist her words to suit his own agenda.

Martinez is asking Jodi tricky questions, he is trying to make her admit things that he is implying, she has to be very careful of how she answers his questions because he is trying to trip her.

BTW, the jurors already know that Jodi lied to everyone, Martinez is rehashing the evidence that he already introduced to the jury during his case in chief; the videos of Jodi's interrogations by detective Flores, Ryan Burns' testimony, Leslie Udy's testimony, etc. Martinez doesn't want to prove that Jodi is a liar, he wants Jodi to admit that she lied because it benefited her.
Another Poster

Melrose Park, IL

#432 Feb 25, 2013
Cookietoo wrote:
Slayer
Don't know when she started slashing tires, or when she stalked him, but I think that's when Travis started getting pissed at her. If he treated her different because he realized she was psycho at some point. JMO
The prosecution didn't enter "the tire slashing incidents" into evidence because there isn't official documentation to prove that Jodi was the person who slashed the tires.

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#433 Feb 25, 2013
Cookietoo wrote:
Slayer
Don't know when she started slashing tires, or when she stalked him, but I think that's when Travis started getting pissed at her. If he treated her different because he realized she was psycho at some point. JMO
Don't get me wrong, I think Jodi should be punished for the murder of Travis Alexander, but there is no evidence that she was the one who slashed the tires, or sent that anonymous email to Lisa Andrews. I think the tire slashing happened before Jodi and Travis were "an item." Lisa's ex, Steve Ball,(also a Mormon) had gotten into trouble with the law and he very well could have been the one to slash the tires and send that anonymous email to Lisa Andrews.
LA Guy

United States

#434 Feb 25, 2013
Kaligirlsam wrote:
Who says a prosecutor has to be nice? He is dealing with someone who is showing him or the court any respect and the Judge should make her answer clearly for the jury.
Nice or Not Nice is not the question. Here, we have a sarcastic arguementative mean natured prosecutor, which historicaly does not bode well before a jury. Particularly when the defendant has been debased by an Alpha BF, kinky at that. The public expects a professional demeanor, even from prosecutors in murder trials and particularly in these types of cases.

Back for a few minutes with HLN ... this Jean Casares is about the only regular with any class, although I usually disagree with her take on the daily events. She is a nice package for me, middle aged, lovely and demure, bedroom eyes.

Some of these female journalists and or Attys, no doubt have partaken in these erotic games with the right Alpha guy. They like Travis ... heard his voice telling Jody what he expected and even saw his most private pic (full Johnson) when it was introduced into evidence.
LA Guy

United States

#435 Feb 25, 2013
Remember, that Trials involve high theater...Martinez was poorly cast.

Nurmi is the real pro here. The judge also deserves honorble mention.
LA Guy

United States

#436 Feb 25, 2013
Another Poster
Nice to see you back. Agree with most of your ake on this matter. Other than to evade the consequeces, she has lied to convince herself that murder is not in her core DNA.

All should keep in mind, that Jody was not predisposed to kill nor a sadist.
LA Guy

United States

#437 Feb 25, 2013
Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>

This tragedy should be a cautionary tale for others: don't allow yourself to be in the presence of someone who has the power to trigger extreme fear or anger in you in the first place.
BTW, I was trying to be funny when I posted that Martinez took my advice. WTF, doesn't anyone have a sense of humor any more?
Great insight and advice. Add Alpha Dom who has turned his GF into a compliant sumbmissive and it's a volatile mix. I mentioned previously, that I was in the Scene, as they call it. Yes, I was on Threshold's (google it) invitee list. It was more of an erotic sex game for me, with some of the hottest women on the planet...all of them I knew professed they loved it and wanted more... recognized early on, that there was not only physical danger, but also fraught with legal consequences. It is best reserved for consensual sane couples, who do not become consumed by it.

BTW, Ms. Slayer, I enjoy your sense of humor and for the record, I was not the one who gave you that Clueless mark. Just suggest that you change your handle, but we already know you by it.

Since: Jan 13

Bundoora, Australia

#438 Feb 25, 2013
US Sun wrote:
Any LE out there, who think there is more to the attack than just Jodi?
What about the following scenario?
TA did something violent and sexual just before he got in the shower.... he did and said something vile & extreme. She shot him, he fell ontop of her, and a roommate came in and stabbed him off of her. She told the roommate what Travis had done (whatever it was), and the roommate decided to atone him (old Mormon method)in the shower, so he would be free of his sins.
Then she was told that she was to leave and forget about any of it.
This could also explain why the friends were fairly calm on the 911 call, and why he was left there for 5 days.
no, because we wouldn't see the shower pictures.
I don't think it was premeditated as they claim going back to stealing the gun. If she was going to shoot him, then just shoot him. Don't take the circuitous route using the knife.
Having said that I don't think the dropped camera is the reason for self defence. I think the abuse was more psychological rather than physical. I also don't believe she climbed on a chair to get the gun. Anyway the ME said that he was shot last and his testimony is pretty compelling. Travis was a user. Jodi was silly enough to think he was otherwise. but she did write in her diary that she loved him so completely and love blinded her. The one thing from the photos is we know things changed very quickly. I have questioned Matt McCarthy's role in all this. She stopped in to see him when she started her journey. He must have known she was going to AZ. He is the one who has been all over the net saying he saw the damage Travis did to her.

Since: Jan 13

Bundoora, Australia

#439 Feb 25, 2013
wheezy_1969 wrote:
Is the ultimate goal, for the defense, to save Jodi from the death penalty–nothing more and nothing less?
No, the ultimate goal would be to get a verdict of ‘Not Guilty’ from the jury which is seemingly feasible considering she is charged with premeditated first degree murder and burglary…that’s it! There are no lesser charges for the jury to consider, although they can suggest a lesser charge(s) which will most likely happen if they cannot convict her of first degree murder and burglary.
Defense tried to get the lesser charge of 2nd degree murder, back in 2011, but they denied it.
that is incorrect about with burglary. I was swayed as well. Someone corrected me. The with burglary charge was when she had the Ninja story.
Another Poster

Itasca, IL

#440 Feb 25, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
Another Poster
Nice to see you back. Agree with most of your ake on this matter. Other than to evade the consequeces, she has lied to convince herself that murder is not in her core DNA.
All should keep in mind, that Jody was not predisposed to kill nor a sadist.
Jodi has been demonized by the media, even after having listened to the sex tapes, the talking heads are still accusing Jodi of "luring Travis into sex".

This is a very tragic case, but it would be rather ordinary if it wasn't for the circumstances that led to Travis' death. What makes this case "extraordinary" is the religious taboos, the secrecy and eroticism involved in Jodi and Travis' relationship.

I think this was a very complex and convoluted situation that went beyond the point of no return, it seems that it is very difficult for some people to understand the dynamics, the underlying issues of power and control, and the roller coaster of emotions that Jodi went through.

Jodi is not a bad person, she got caught up in a web of deception. There are no winners here, everyone loses...

It's nice to see you, too.:)
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#441 Feb 25, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant post!
All should understand the attraction of women to Travis. I posted on this previously. Some Jody's of this world have been attracted to me for similar reasons...he had some of my similarites...Once again, I could have handoed Jody and nothing bad would have happen.
**********
Thank you.
As you have said before, this tragedy has been played out before, so many times. Jodi just lacked the insight to see where their interactions would lead to, and of course, the sense of self-protection to run from it.
Jodi wanted the happy ending, but TA wasn't the man to go there with.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#442 Feb 25, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
<quoted text>
Jodi has been demonized by the media, even after having listened to the sex tapes, the talking heads are still accusing Jodi of "luring Travis into sex".
This is a very tragic case, but it would be rather ordinary if it wasn't for the circumstances that led to Travis' death. What makes this case "extraordinary" is the religious taboos, the secrecy and eroticism involved in Jodi and Travis' relationship.
I think this was a very complex and convoluted situation that went beyond the point of no return, it seems that it is very difficult for some people to understand the dynamics, the underlying issues of power and control, and the roller coaster of emotions that Jodi went through.
Jodi is not a bad person, she got caught up in a web of deception. There are no winners here, everyone loses...
It's nice to see you, too.:)
**********
Do these talking heads watch and listen to the trial???
Travis said that she was the best he ever tasted... and there isn't one text from him saying that he went too far for a Mormon virgin, please. They are ignoring facts.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#444 Feb 25, 2013
LA Guy,
I looked up Threshold, and No man could get me near the place....
Gave me the fright just seeing those rooms. Not into pain or scenery that looks like a dungeon.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#445 Feb 25, 2013
The trial video with the day the entire phone call http://jodiariasisinnocent.com/... Travis' family heard the audio before the jury, and they wanted to have it played in court. Maybe the talking heads think Jodi gave him all of his ideas. NG & JVM are unprofessional and definitely not News.
Kaligirlsam

Ocala, FL

#446 Feb 26, 2013
I see LA Guy clearly started this post to defend JA and doesn't want to see any other reasonable views. That makes this whole post lose a lot of validity. It is still good to get our feelings out there and I love other views but dont see the value of a one sided argument. Too bad. These posts can be helpful if they are truly thought out opinions of the facts.
Kaligirlsam

Ocala, FL

#447 Feb 26, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
<quoted text>
Jodi has been demonized by the media, even after having listened to the sex tapes, the talking heads are still accusing Jodi of "luring Travis into sex".
This is a very tragic case, but it would be rather ordinary if it wasn't for the circumstances that led to Travis' death. What makes this case "extraordinary" is the religious taboos, the secrecy and eroticism involved in Jodi and Travis' relationship.
I think this was a very complex and convoluted situation that went beyond the point of no return, it seems that it is very difficult for some people to understand the dynamics, the underlying issues of power and control, and the roller coaster of emotions that Jodi went through.
Jodi is not a bad person, she got caught up in a web of deception. There are no winners here, everyone loses...
It's nice to see you, too.:)
Wake up. She stabbed the guy 27 times. This is a death that didn't have to happen. We know she did it and if they could link the gun to her grandfathers house she will definitly get the death penalty. A twisted relationship can't exist without her being a half of it. She left before. She knew it wasn't going where she wanted it to. Travis isn't on trial for being a scumbag which he probably was. There is no proof that he attacked her other than her say so. She lies guys. There is proof her finger was broken while she was killing him. She can hardly blame that on him. Remember the pic of the perfectly straight finger after the date she says he broke it? That is called proof. She has none.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phoenix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jay’s dispen-sary. A d d y s IRs n XR etc Sun paulo 2
When is McCain going to die ? Sat Bloodonmyhands 4
News Meet an Arizona Summit Law School graduate who ... May 18 walter reed 2
prostitutes on 27th ave (Jan '10) May 18 george orwell 158
Is George Orwell's Dystopian prophecy coming true? (Jun '13) May 18 zio doublespeak 4
News Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law (Apr '10) May 17 Taletha 193,119
News After two days of the #RedForEd teacher walkout... May 16 Solarman 7

Phoenix Jobs

Personal Finance

Phoenix Mortgages