Boo Hoo

Phoenix, AZ

#891 Oct 17, 2012
Welcome back Ms Kim Ryder. Are the rumors TRUE??????????
Curious 2

Glendale, AZ

#892 Oct 20, 2012
Case Number: 0702CV-0504051 Judge: Sarkis, Steve
File Date: 6/14/2005 Location: Arcadia Biltmore Justice Court
Case Type: Justice Civil Case Status: Adjudicated

Party Information
Party Name Relationship Sex Attorney
Goodwill Industries Defendant Unknown
Greenleaf Compaction Inc Plaintiff Unknown Vernon Nicholas
Case Calendar
There are no calendar events on file
Judgments
Date (F)or /(A)gainst Amount Frequency Type Status
11/7/2006 F: Greenleaf Compaction Inc $100.00 Costs
A: Goodwill Industries
11/7/2006 F: Greenleaf Compaction Inc $1,665.00 Attorney Fee
11/7/2006 F: Greenleaf Compaction Inc $3,500.00 Principal
Just a Goodwill grunt

Phoenix, AZ

#893 Oct 24, 2012
Hey i am wondering if anybody has any stats on

how many people Goodwill put OUT of work last

year?
anybody notice that when you put your number

into the time clock it no longer shows your name?

Wonder why that is? And new badges are

BRIGHT, COLORFUL and look pretty pricey...but

they no longer have the strip on the back so you

can swipe it through the time-clock. hmmm...
Then there's this new attendance policy... Totally

set up in order to move people out the door more

quickly. Doesn't matter the reason for an

absence... you bring a doctors note or one day

off (even if you have sick time) will equal 2

"occurances". I thought paid sick time was

something you EARNED and that it was also to

be used as "personal Time"... for Dr. Appt., going

to your kids school for "Have your parent to lunch

day", for those occasional days when we get up,

stub our toes, then step in the cat barf in the

hallway, find there's only decaf for coffee and

decide we just can't go to work today...(I'm sick of this) and we have

64 hours of sick time accmulated = Personal time.
Been There

Chandler, AZ

#894 Oct 25, 2012
STATEMENT OF NOBUMICHI HARA
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, HUMAN CAPITAL
GOODWILL INDUSTRIES OF CENTRAL ARIZONA

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA) has been a cornerstone of employment and
labor law since 1938. The FLSA establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and
youth employment standards affecting full-time and part-time workers in the private sector and in
federal, state, and local governments. The FLSA was enacted to ensure an adequate standard of
living for all Americans by guaranteeing the payment of a minimum wage.

Mr NOBUMICHI HARA might be correct in the Fair Labor Law, however, he and Goodwill are not following what they preach. I know this for certain as I have seen Tania's check and it was far below the minimum wage standard. Tania worked at the 32nd and Greenway store. Tania is somewhat disabled but not incompetent.
Been There

Chandler, AZ

#895 Oct 25, 2012
A national disability group protests against Goodwill’s practices

The N.F.B. is angry about Goodwill’s use of an exemption in the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act that allows employers to hire individuals with disabilities at wage rates below the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour.

Section 214(c) of the Federal Fair Labor Standard Act includes a provision that allows employers that hire individuals with disabilities to pay them less than the federal minimum wage. The exemption is aimed at creating employment options for those whose disabilities may limit their job opportunities.

“It’s a matter of principle; it’s not what the law lets you get away with. It’s a matter of fairness and dignity and equity,” says Fred Schroeder, President of NFB Virginia.“Nobody can support themselves or a family on a sub-minimum wage.”

Of its 105,000 workers nationwide, Goodwill employs around 30,000 people with disabilities.

Goodwill says its goal for their employees hired under the disabilities exemption is to provide more than just a daily wage.

“Part of their program isn’t just the salary, it’smany other supports: occupational therapy, skills development, job coach training where they have an individual job coach to help them,” says Ellen Thornhill, Communications Manager Goodwill of Central Virginia.

Protests like the one in Carytown were held in more than 80 cities across the country Saturday. The N.F.B. hopes this will help further the conversation with Goodwill about the disabilities exemption.

“Goodwill is one of the largest charities of its type, and we believe it should be a leader in changing this practice,” says Schroeder.

“We’re both passionate about the individuals we serve, and we both want what we believe is in the very best interest of the individuals we serve,” says Thornhill.“So we’re really not that far apart.”

Organizers with N.F.B tell CBS 6 dialogue will continue in the future between themselves, lawmakers, and employers like Goodwill about the disabilities exemption.
Been There

Chandler, AZ

#896 Oct 26, 2012
Group Protests Goodwill For Paying Disabled Workers Under Minimum Wage.

Just 20 cents an hour — that’s how much some employees at Goodwill claim they’re making because they’re disabled.

Dozens of people protested the nonprofit. They’re upset Goodwill pays some of its employees below minimum wage.
cynthia d

Phoenix, AZ

#897 Oct 28, 2012
jenarizonq wrote:
I totally agree with big gun. I plan on boycotting Goodwill stores, because of the terrible customer service. I'm going to do my Christmas shopping elsewhere for my family.
Recommend St. Vincent de Paul and also some animal shelters have great thrift stores. Really don't know the facts about Goodwill but I've been donating to St Vincent and animal shelter thrift stores because I think they get left out a lot due to Goodwill being so big. Give some of these a try!
Been There

Phoenix, AZ

#898 Oct 28, 2012
cynthia d wrote:
<quoted text>
Recommend St. Vincent de Paul and also some animal shelters have great thrift stores. Really don't know the facts about Goodwill but I've been donating to St Vincent and animal shelter thrift stores because I think they get left out a lot due to Goodwill being so big. Give some of these a try!
I agree Goodwill has become a big business and should not be a non- profit I also only donate to St. Vincent and animal shelter thrift stores. I belive that Goodwill is trying to run thrift stores out of business by opening needless stores all over the valley. Goodwill's slogan that they put people to work. What a joke. St. Vincent has 5 kitchens around the valley to feed the poor and homeless. What does Goodwill do that will make us proud of them? SBSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Laughingguy

United States

#899 Oct 29, 2012
You guys are hillarious. Im just being bored google-ing and came across this and had no idea how much heat is in a Goodwill workplace. Thought i was gonna pick up a day or two out of my non busy schedule to help out at my local store as a volunteer or helper probono but i dont need the headache. And now that its brought up. I have noticed major price changes at every store i go to. I dont frequent often but like to donate and maybe pick up a thing or two that catches my eye for some home decor. I do remember being shocked at the grocery bags having the "Goodwill" name on them. That right there should tell anyone the money is being mistreated and not mainly going to the best cause.

Since: Oct 12

Peoria, AZ

#900 Oct 29, 2012
The Goodwill is a rip off!!!!! They want so much money for used clothes , i think that stinks! Far as not shopping there for the hoildays....i'd never by a gift for someone from there. I'd shop there for myself but not for a friend or family!
Just a Goodwill grunt

Phoenix, AZ

#901 Nov 5, 2012
Laughingguy wrote:
You guys are hillarious. Im just being bored google-ing and came across this and had no idea how much heat is in a Goodwill workplace. Thought i was gonna pick up a day or two out of my non busy schedule to help out at my local store as a volunteer or helper probono but i dont need the headache. And now that its brought up. I have noticed major price changes at every store i go to. I dont frequent often but like to donate and maybe pick up a thing or two that catches my eye for some home decor. I do remember being shocked at the grocery bags having the "Goodwill" name on them. That right there should tell anyone the money is being mistreated and not mainly going to the best cause.
You are RIGHT laughing guy... Bags with their name on it? Just the tip of the ice berg, really. Did you also notice the "touch screen" cash registers?
GW is NOT a good place to work... we are always short handed (but they're "putting people to work"), the goals and quotas are unreachable for your average JOE to get on a daily basis, more, more, MORE is all they want, Mo money, Mo money... but NO overtime... ever! My benefits (mainly health insurance) have been cut every year since I started. Raises/reviews are done, most of the time, for most, store level employees, months after they're due and no backpay is paid to you. Its a racquet/a scam. we DON'T FIX STUFF, or even spend a few minutes cleaning your donations, if something is "TOO DIRTY" it goes to the "AS-IS" store in PHX and is sold by the pound. Head honcho's make 5 and 6 figure salaries, and have been seen in Las VEGAS having a great time? With their Corporate charge cards in hand? While I work my ass off for under 9.00 an hour, only to be told its not enough... dig deeper, faster... go through the donations faster and only put out the "good stuff". wrong on so many levels... have you seen the bill boards along the frwy in PHX? You know how much that costs? where does the money comes from, to place them there? YOUR donations sold and the money was used to ask for more donatins? gimme a break. Corporate meeting/lunches are held in large banquet halls with 50.00+ dollars a plate, steak LUNCHES and all the fixings... and who pays for it all? The guy/gal who gave his there unwanted stuff to Goodwill, thinking they were gonna help out the "less fortunate". Yep. The NAME Goodwill brings certain ideas to most peoples minds... the little guy in the wheel chair being helped by the donations. And I'm sure that's how it started 75+ years ago, in Boston Mass. But, that is NOT true anymore... it's disgraceful and wrong that so much stuff is tossed away because Goodwill, will not give their employees enough time to clean and/or do minor repairs on a few donations, to make them sellable, because they've got SO MUCH donations and all they care about in the almighty dollar. More than once I've seen homeless men and women come into our store COLD, even wet from rain and they have 2 or 3 dollars and they want/NEED a jacket or long sleeves at least, maybe a blanket, they have SOME money, they weren't looking for a hand out, just a hand up and were told "NO, we can't help you with that", turned away cold heartedly to fend for themselves... at GOODWILL stores? REALLY?... really??... YES!
Boo Hoo

Tempe, AZ

#903 Nov 6, 2012
I agree with the Goodwill grunt and Goodwill's BILLBOARD SIGNS. Everytme I see one I give them the CALIFORNIA SALUTE!!!!
The Truth

Phoenix, AZ

#904 Nov 13, 2012
Goodwill cannot accept the truth of how Jim Teter the CEO was given that position. People of Central Arizona have the right to know that Goodwill is not an ethical non-profit. They have turned the Goodwill stores into a big business with mostly junk donations and very high prices.

As Jim Teter admitted he had no idea how to run a non-profit which made this perfect for Porky (alias Tim O'Neal). Porky was instumental in having Hanson CEO and Mason fired. Goodle in the front page article of GOODWILL ROMANCE and you will read all about it. Now Porky is having a romance in Corporate with Kim Ryder. He also gave Ryder a VP Real Estate position in Corporate. Ryder also knows nothing about real estate and another person was hired to do her job. Ryder is still in corporate with a great salary.

Goodwill had a nation wide search for a CEO to take Hanson's position and guess what they found Teter right around the corner working for AVNET. AVENT just happens to be one of Goodwill's BOARD MEMBERS. People what does this tell you???????

Is this part of Goodwill's ethic code?????????
The Truth

Phoenix, AZ

#905 Nov 15, 2012
Tacoma Goodwill fined for worker death

By The Associated Press

The state fined Tacoma Goodwill Industries nearly $50,000 for safety violations that contributed to the death of a developmentally disabled worker.

The 27-year-old man, Nick Miller, was crushed April 15 by a machine that lifts trash into a compactor.

The Tacoma News Tribune reports the Department of Labor and Industries found that Goodwill failed to properly train and supervise disabled workers and failed to make sure the trash-tipping machine had emergency stop controls.

Tacoma Goodwill CEO Terry Hayes disputes the findings and says it will appeal. She says Goodwill has worked with the department in the past and inspectors did not find problems with the trash machine or ask for special accident prevention training for disabled workers.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
Ben Upton

Johnson City, TN

#906 Nov 16, 2012
Big red. Are you in Florida? Check out waterfront rescue missions ...lithely do the same thing....they have about 5 huge thrift stires and donors etc....then way off in the woods is where they house their FREE LABOR, they literally pay room and board and $5 cash per week....golf breeze florida is the new hope facility and their actual offices are on Davis highway......they treat employees like freaking slaves....but the republican fat cats in the offices that do nothing whatsoever????$100,000 K per year. And there's about 8 of them...good ole Christian folk.

I will boycott goodwill, thanks for the post

Look folks. I give money to theperrycenter.org

A loving facility for unwed pregnant teens. NEVE!R give to Red Cross or the others....at best, just walk up to a homeless person and hand them a $50. Who gives a shit...if somebody says something? Punch them righ in the freakingnface and holler merry Christmas.
The Truth

Phoenix, AZ

#907 Nov 17, 2012
Goodwill Bullying Corporate pettiness springfield, Illinois

I will keep this brief because all the evidence I have on Goodwill could fill a small novel. First I wanna say I was retaliated against by a member of the corporate staff and it caused my termination from the company. Next I would like to note the Goodwill mentality work individually as a team. What I mean by that is the supervisors expect you to be a team player by doing tadks that involve no teamwork so they can tell uou that you are not a team player. Next, Goodwill does oppress teamwork by chewing out people who want to help their co workers . You will be put on a task that in order to be done properly requires two or more people and the supervisor expects you to do the work of two people at the speed of three people. Next my supervisor and a person from corporate were the best of buds, one just as corrupt as the other. One was a drunk the other a former addict who was fired and then rehired in a corporate position. The one in the corporate position was in charge of safety. Yet even though the person was in charge of safety the work place could not be more unsafe and hostile. I devoloped asthma from working at Goodwill because no masks were provided. Goodwill will say they did but they never really did. I was threatend at work and outside of work,but the corporate big wig did not like conflict so the person doing the threatening got a verbal warning ;the even though this is not the first instance of verbal threats on his record. Ive smelled alcohol on my immediate supervisors breath many times and he would drive the forklift in this condition, and without a drivers license. Goodwill is only concerned with the bottom dollar and how to eliminate as many employees as they can to save Goodwill money but also to make the people who are left work 3 times as hard to accomplish an insermountable task .So if you are ever in lets say near Illinois capital avoid Goodwill, do not support their true goal: Making more money no matter who they need to step on to make themselves feel powerful
Curious 2

Glendale, AZ

#908 Nov 21, 2012
I cannot believe that a so called non-profit is spending so much money on BILLBOARDS and COMMERCIALS on TV when they can use this money for a kitchen to feed the homeless and those who need it the most. Now, I know that Goodwill is a big business selling our donations and charging more than Walmart prices. Porky the least you should and can do is give a party for the homeless children of Phoenix. Stop your stupid slogan (we put people to work) as all businesses do the same and put your donations where they can do our community some good. Christmas is coming and we all know about the lavish parties you have. It has been well documented. PEOPLE PLEASE BOYCOTT GOODWILL DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON
ADVICE

Tempe, AZ

#909 Nov 22, 2012
Goodwill corporate are a bunch of shameless group of people. What are they doing except lining their pockets with our donations. Porky, McDonalds is giving free breakfasts this Thanksgiving. You certainly look well fed Porky eating at the best resturants and getting like a fat pig on our donations. Shame on you. You can use your bill boards and tv commercials but that money could be used for a much better cause. Take a look at St.Vincent dePaul and maybe you can learn a lesson from them. They only have a few stores to your endless amount of stores in our Phoenix area and they have 5 kitchens to feed the poor and homeless. O'Neal you are a scam and will stay a nobody if you do not obey the Goodwill code of ethics. Does your board enforce them? If they did you would be back st your old job at K-Marts as a fat boy box boy and Ms. Kim Ryder your mistress will have her old job back as cashier
ADVICE

Tempe, AZ

#911 Nov 27, 2012
Goodwill's new slogan should not read "we put people to work" but, "WE PUT PEOPLE TO WORK TO MAKE US RICH IN CORPORATE".
Hustler

Scottsdale, AZ

#912 Nov 27, 2012
I want to start a Goodwill franchise, I am part owner of a strip mall. Nothing like getting your palms greased by taxpayer money. Working is for suckers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phoenix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law (Apr '10) Wed superwilly 193,325
Dating in Phoenix Wed Maverick 3
Phoenix sucks (Apr '08) Tue Crunchdog66 192
drugs found but not charged or booked ...90 day... Tue Crunchdog66 3
News Phoenix business owner faces charges for owning... Tue Crunchdog66 1
News Phoenix couple accused of whipping, beating kids Tue Crunchdog66 1
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) Mar 24 GinaLover 771
Phoenix Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Phoenix People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]