Black Community In Phoenix Loses City...

Black Community In Phoenix Loses City Council Seat It Controlled for Nearly 50 Years

There are 2 comments on the Phoenix New Times story from Nov 6, 2013, titled Black Community In Phoenix Loses City Council Seat It Controlled for Nearly 50 Years. In it, Phoenix New Times reports that:

Kate Widland Gallego handily beat her opponent, Pastor Warren Stewart, with nearly 63 percent of the vote to represent District 8, a predominately Latino district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Phoenix New Times.

Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#1 Nov 6, 2013
Right, much is due to the influx of Mexicans. That entire area in Phoenix, similar to L.A., is experiencing a dramatic demographic change. Impressive was the disparity in votes, those favoring the newly elected official.
Another aspect of the campaign was the reliance the Black candidate put on the past. He continuously invoked the tradition of MLK and other nationally known Black leaders; and, he ignored to a large extent the needs of his community. While I would not voted against him, I would have serious concerns about voting for him.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#4 Nov 7, 2013
Stag_R_Lee wrote:
Right, much is due to the influx of Mexicans. That entire area in Phoenix, similar to L.A., is experiencing a dramatic demographic change. Impressive was the disparity in votes, those favoring the newly elected official.
Another aspect of the campaign was the reliance the Black candidate put on the past. He continuously invoked the tradition of MLK and other nationally known Black leaders; and, he ignored to a large extent the needs of his community. While I would not voted against him, I would have serious concerns about voting for him.
It's not a Black district anymore it's latino.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phoenix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frito lay makes rainbow chips in support of gay... 10 hr guest 5
News Johanna Botta of Real World Austin at the 2008 ... (Feb '08) 18 hr Luis Echecopar Rey 219
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) Thu chuckles 921
Goodwill of Central Arizona Ceo makes $432,684 ... (Mar '15) Thu Nancy 11
Frito lay tostitos fiesta bowl fails Jul 26 guest 6
Frito lay lies to customers and employees (Dec '15) Jul 26 guest 76
Arizona Hot Sauce expo Jul 25 Burnsandmccoy 1

Phoenix Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Phoenix Mortgages