Flames Shoot Through Large City Church

Flames Shoot Through Large City Church

There are 34 comments on the NBC 10 Philadelphia story from Apr 30, 2008, titled Flames Shoot Through Large City Church. In it, NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that:

A fire burned out of control inside a Philadelphia church Wednesday morning. Cameras captured images of flames shooting from the windows of the Prince of Peace Baptist Church, located at Berks and 32nd street ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 10 Philadelphia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nia

Glenolden, PA

#1 Apr 30, 2008
I pray that the church will be encouraged during this difficult time. My heart goes out to the wonderful pastor of the church and the congregation. Something is better is to come.
Stan

AOL

#2 Apr 30, 2008
If it is in fact at Berks and 32nd Sts., it originally was the Stokley school grades K thru 6. I attended that school in the
1930's.
molly

United States

#3 Apr 30, 2008
Stan wrote:
If it is in fact at Berks and 32nd Sts., it originally was the Stokley school grades K thru 6. I attended that school in the
1930's.
I too attened Stokley in the 50"s & have many beautiful memories.My heart goes out to the Pastor & parishoners.
Alicia

Long Beach, CA

#4 Apr 30, 2008
This is my church home and I am deeply saddened by this fire. Pastor Shipman is a wonderful and dynamic leader and I am sure God has something magnificent in store for the future of Prince of Peace.
btw, Prince of Peace was the Stokely school before becoming the church.
Alicia

Long Beach, CA

#5 Apr 30, 2008
as an aside, I'm not from Compton. I don't know why that showed up.
Harriet-Blue Bell-PA

United States

#6 Apr 30, 2008
I, too, went to Stokley School from 1950 to 1956. In fact, my entire family went there, parents, aunts, uncles and cousins. It was a big part of our history. I will keep the Pastor and parishioners in my prayers.
molly

United States

#7 Apr 30, 2008
molly wrote:
<quoted text>
I too attended Stokley in the 50"s & have many beautiful memories.My heart goes out to the Pastor & parishoners.
I am not from Brooklyn but do live on beautiful Long Island NY
CHINATOWN9THRACE

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Apr 30, 2008
YES WE SMELLED IT DOWN HERE LIKE IT WAS IN THE BUILDING, SOME RAGING FIRE THAT WAS..........SOMEONE IS SPEAKING!
JEM

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Apr 30, 2008
FYI - this was originally an elementary school named "William Stokely"
JEM

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Apr 30, 2008
My brothers and sister and I all graduated from Stokely School. I was the last to graduate in 1976. We all had the same 3rd grade teacher who read "Charlotte's Web" during the last week of school.
Virginia Schawacker

AOL

#12 Apr 30, 2008
When I was in high school in Wichita, one of my classmates came in and calmly announced that my church was on fire. I never forgot the pain of that moment. Yes, the church is made up of members, but yes, the memories of the events in that building were so important to my earliest days. We were loaned a local movie theater for our services until we could have the sanctuary rebuilt and eventually moved back in but the new sanctuary was never quite the same as that one that caught on fire. That fire was an accident and I hope that the fire at St. Paul's will be determined to be an accident, as well.
I am sure that the church members will be able to band together and find that this tragic event will make them even stronger. Until then, please accept my most sincere words of encourgement and empathy for this painful day.
Tiffany

United States

#14 Apr 30, 2008
Mary Rotten Crotch wrote:
God must not have liked these people. He burned down their church. The people obviously were ungodly and now they are unchurchly.
Mary - Shut up, and read your bible most blessings come after a fire
Edward Rzasa

Milford, MI

#15 Apr 30, 2008
Shame on Sen. Fumo for such stupid remarks about raciosm. Someone should put a collar around his neck!
phillyjim0217

United States

#16 Apr 30, 2008
i feel for the congregation of the church
also see the peckerhead who lives in mommys basementin Minnesota
2386 is still posting his usual racial BS
do us all a favor if ya listen real close ya can hear your mom saying that enough computertime
tim dash

AOL

#17 Apr 30, 2008
was this church at one time a catholic church?
Fish

Wilmington, DE

#18 Apr 30, 2008
Stan wrote:
1930's.
Interesting. You must have a wealth of nice memories. Very sad this happened.
Bob Germer

Willingboro, NJ

#19 Apr 30, 2008
My prayers and those of the members of St. Stephen's Episcopal are with you in this time of trial.
Stan

AOL

#20 Apr 30, 2008
tim dash wrote:
was this church at one time a catholic church?
Nope, it originialy was a neighborhood elementary public school, grades K thru 6. I graduated that school, I think in 1939 or 1940. It became a church probably about 30 or so years ago.
jasper

Union City, CA

#21 Apr 30, 2008
truth or consequences nm exploding minivan

4 corners
Phillysoulman

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Apr 30, 2008
I was devastaed to see my old elementary school,WM.S.Stokely go up in flames.

I grew up at 32nd and Diamond street and my fondest boyhood memories of "the Mansion" will resonate forever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Philadelphia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man gets his dying wish: To be buried with chee... Sun Faith 6
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Sat SlimShady 934
organ harvesting stay alert Nov 18 Wedontlikeyounigs 6
Review: Adviser Valerie Morrison - Psychic Medium (Jun '13) Nov 17 Tara 8
What is WRONG with Pennsylvanians? Nov 17 Cool hand Luke 3
NH Adoptees get their non certified Original B... Nov 8 joan 1
Trader Joe's to open at The Gallery Mall in Phi... (Feb '14) Nov 7 Makerich properties 4

Philadelphia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Philadelphia Mortgages