Neighbor Intervenes, Shoots Man Stabb...

Neighbor Intervenes, Shoots Man Stabbing Estranged Wife

There are 212 comments on the NBC 10 Philadelphia story from Apr 20, 2008, titled Neighbor Intervenes, Shoots Man Stabbing Estranged Wife. In it, NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that:

Police said a neighbor shot a man who stabbed and killed his estranged wife outside a Delaware County home on Sunday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 10 Philadelphia.

Michelle

Dunellen, NJ

#124 Apr 21, 2008
Lisa wrote:
It seems to be too much of a rarity that people get involved in helping out a neighbor these days, particularly if the situation is scary in someway. Last year there was an accident that my sister and I came across in which we were basically the only folks that were willing to get involved, and if we aren't willing to help each other then the world is in a really bad place. The entire time we were running toward the accident victim, I was consciously thinking,"I don't want to see this!", but we should all strive to force our way past our immediate fear in order to help each other. I am glad the gentleman proved to be someone who would put himself out for another. In the big picture, that's the point. Bravo!
I agree with that and many kudos to you and your sister, for helping someone in need.
Sparky

Grand Rapids, MI

#125 Apr 22, 2008
Please wrote:
Please stop spreading the rumor that you wont be able to have a gun in philly. They are not trying to take away your guns, they are only trying to make it harder for people to obtain them legally. and limiting the purchase of them (legally) to one a month. This guy purchased and registered his properly, that is why he is not in jail.
The same people crying about nutter's gun laws are the same people demanding he protects them better. he is trying but all the hillbillies in the west pa are the ones allowed to make the decisions. You know those hillbillies, you will find all of their names on the NRA website as active members. Of course the NRA doesn't want to limit guns, how would all those illegal gun purchasers get their guns?
Please, Please STOP. If you honestly think these illegal philly gun laws will stop a criminal. you are clueless.. Do yourself a favor and research a subject before you post..PLEASE
neighbor in bethel

United States

#126 Apr 22, 2008
Thank you Leo!! It is good to know that someone in my neighborhood would step in to such a horrific scene to try to help, putting themselves at risk to do so. There are many other victims of John Balla's senseless rage in addition to his family members. This so called man came into MY neighborhood (he did NOT live here) and destroyed a beautiful, serene, peaceful day. Everyone was outside enjoying the day, neighbors doing yard work and CHILDREN playing. My own children where told NOT to go back outside and to get down on the floor. We did not know what was happening or where the gun fire was coming from, they where huddled on the floor, frightened. The next day I realized how much this affected us too. My 5 year old did not want his dad to go out in the yard because he might get hurt (more victims). Several neighbors who were first on the scene were chased into their houses by a knife wielding John Balla (more victims). Then there were the many neighbors who came out after hearing the gunfire who saw that poor woman lying in the driveway dead ( more victims). Leo Rushton, who just like the rest of us was quietly enjoying a lovely day in his beautiful yard, was forced to shoot another human being (another victim). His family who will always see the spot on THEIR property where Balla came after their husband and father (more victims). A brother who gave his sister a place to stay in a time of need. A brother who now daily will pass the spot where his sister's life was taken (another victim). There is a whole neighborhood of people affected by the actions of John Balla. This was a small,quiet neighborhood in suburbia USA. Things like this never happen here. Well, that was taken from all of us on that beautiful April day. The feeling of safety and freedom will never be the same. John Balla came in and hurt a whole neighborhood with his actions.
elericram

United States

#127 Apr 22, 2008
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with that and many kudos to you and your sister, for helping someone in need.
Michelle u talk to much, people would not have known as much as they do if you did'nt run your mouth, you were the one that mentioned the daughter, i really think u like this attention because the sicko was your step brother, Michelle u need counseling.
Wayman

Elk Mills, MD

#128 Apr 22, 2008
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
umm michelle is trying to help her family out but yous are pretty much blaming her for what her brother did. ok maybe shes on here saying her piece but shes venting she lost her brother and sister in law. dont judge her. shes not a bad person at all shes just trying to get to the bottom of it all. they just released the names of the victims they havent even spoken a word about the daughter. she was on here merely to see what the news was saying about it and read what yall was writing. dont blame her for what her brother did. she knew her brother as a very kind, sweet , gentle person. he wasnt a bad guy and he was dropping their son off to the mother. you need to get your facts straight. and quite gossiping.and like i said b4 shes not the only family on here either... and no im not family but i do know of them their divorce was horrible. and i am so so sorry for dominic and the sister.oh bytheway please keep the daughter in your prayers also. god bless the familys involved
Carol,
I think you may have to study the facts a little too, "just dropping his son off", but was carrying a hunting knife and machetti in the van just he case he might need it??? He had intent!!
Mom In Amazement

Langhorne, PA

#129 Apr 22, 2008
Unbelievable, Some things are truly better, left unsaid. The families have suffered enough. To Michelle, haven't you had enough bashing from people who know nothing of you ? I have read all the comments and did not take anything you said as defending what he did, what you have been defending is possibilties and others not knowing the facts and most people think that there is no excuse to take someone's life there will always be an arguement because no one has the right to do such a thing but, others will argue that someone pushed them to that point. Some are stronger than others. Who are we to judge. What a trajedy for all involved. Now you have come to the point where you are defending yourself at almost every comment. Why do you keep coming back at them? They obviously have their own opinions that you are not going to change no matter what you say. You are setting yourself up for more pain than what you are already feeling. They were not there and had no idea what took place. The facts are two people are dead The kids have lost someone they love. No matter how mean things got children never deserve to feel this and these kids are not babies and I am sure they have read all of this. How hurtful this must be to them and Michelle you are a relative !!! show these kids you love them and STOP RESPONDING !!!
Michelle

Dunellen, NJ

#130 Apr 22, 2008
elericram wrote:
<quoted text>
Michelle u talk to much, people would not have known as much as they do if you did'nt run your mouth, you were the one that mentioned the daughter, i really think u like this attention because the sicko was your step brother, Michelle u need counseling.
I talk too much??? That is funny, because when I first posted on this board it was replying to most of you cheering on another humans death. At least I can say that I didnt cheer on either of their deaths and was merely enlightening other factors that may have triggered his wrongful spontanious actions. I am quite aware that he was wrong, but if you're going to cheer on any human beings death, thats sad. Keep in mind that all of our deaths are Gods will and we do not get to choose how or when it will be carried out.
Michelle

Dunellen, NJ

#131 Apr 22, 2008
thanku so much and I will not anymore, but in response to your question of why is, because I am the type of person that cannot sit here reading such nasty remarks, especially when it comes to my kids and family. I do extend my apologies to those, who were not nasty.
SMR

Allentown, PA

#133 Apr 22, 2008
The mind can be very dangerous place if you hold all of your negative thoughts without releasing them.
Always keep that in mind, people.
Remember the 10 Commandments whether you are religious or not. These rules
are great and everyone should uphold them.
hyzee united states

Elkton, MD

#134 Apr 22, 2008
we have never met and i hope we never do. but let me tell you a few things about that woman. she was a mother a cousin a sister a friend an aunt a human person that did not under any circumstance deserve to die the way she did. she would light up a room when she entered it. i know she is in heaven. do you know how i know? if you look outside today the sun is out.as for your step-brother i would be ashamed to acknowelged that in public. our little boy doesn't deserve this either so who gave you the right to put his name on this sight. let me say one more thing. you don't know the whole story and you probably never will.
Michelle Padilla wrote:
<quoted text>
EXCUSE ME MY STEP-BROTHER WAS NOT A WIFE BEATER AND I DONT APPRECIATE YOUR PRE-JUDGEMENT, BECAUSE SHE PUSHED HIM OVER THE EDGE; HE WAS A DAMN GOOD MAN TO THAT WOMAN, WHO SPITED HIM DURING THEIR DIVORCE ANYWAY THAT SHE COULD. HE WOULD NEVER HURT HIS SON, DOMINIQUE. HE WAS NOT RIGHT FOR WHAT HE DID, BUT KEEP IN MIND THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY, AND WHILE THEY BOTH DIED THIS AFTERNOON I AM NOT THANKING GOD LIKE THE REST OF YOU, BECAUSE SHE IS GONE OR HIM!
hyzee united states

Elkton, MD

#135 Apr 22, 2008
you really don't know what you are talking about do you. you are in your own little world just like your step-brother
Michelle Padilla wrote:
<quoted text>
um you didnt kill him, he turned the knife on himself, after you shot him in the shoulder and i do not condemn you for that, but i will not sit here and watch others cheer on his death. He has another child who is in their 20s and has not been mentioned in all of this, which the wife would not allow to come live with them, because she was from a previous girlfriend. Like i said i am not in anyway saying he was right, for his actions but there is alot more things the wife has done spiteful than anyone knows.
hyzee united states

Elkton, MD

#136 Apr 22, 2008
i think you need to get your story straight too. he was not dropping off his son. he arranged to pick him up for lunch. what a joke. with several knives in the car. what father comes to pick up his son with knives in the car?
carol wrote:
this is a public message board anyone can talk on it. I pray to god that the son and THE DAUGHTER ( BECAUSE HE HAD A DAUGHTER TOO. PEOPLE)RECOVER FROM ALL THIS. why are yous forgetting about the daughter? and he didnt go to her house to kill her he was dropping off their son. and they started an arguement. You people need to get your facts straight. ohh by the way, erica ... shes not the only one on here that is family... and no im not related in any way.
John Lindsay

Hyattsville, MD

#137 Apr 22, 2008
Michelle Padilla wrote:
the assailaint is my step-brother and not that he was right for what he did, but none of you have any idea the spite she inficted upon him during their divorce, with using their child as bait to spite him. I would appreciate if all of you not label my step brother without knowing the full facts of what made him go over the edge; as i said yes he was wrong, but he was not known for violent acts. Thank you
I knew John Balla for the last 6 years. As far as I'm concerned, he's not even a man, never was! I heard the way he'd insult his wife even in the presence of others and I found it disgusting, demeaning and unfounded. Denise may have had her faults as well as anyone else, but in all the time I've known her, I never heard her say a mean word about anyone else, ESPECIALLY her husband. Even at their worst times, she tried real hard to be respectful of him. Lot more than he ever tried to do for her. I pray that their boy doesn't grow up to be like his dad in this case. May God Bless Denise and Dom, and John Balla...may you burn.
Peggy

Phoenixville, PA

#138 Apr 22, 2008
Someone had asked about a fund for my
cousin's son.
Dominic Balla Benefit Fund
Commerce Bank Bank
Boothwyn, Pa. 19061
The Family Thanks Everyone For Their
Support!
Peggy

Phoenixville, PA

#139 Apr 22, 2008
Information regarding a fund for my
cousin's 11 year old son:
Dominic Balla Benefit Fund
c/o Commerce Bank
657 Conchester Highway
Boothwyn, Pa. 19061
Brenda

Philadelphia, PA

#140 Apr 22, 2008
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
i will make his mother aware of his sickness peggy, couldnt have been too sick of he was shelling out 300 bucks a week huh
I didn't know either of them but I know a cousin of the womans' and from what I had been told he was ordered to pay $300.00 a week because he didn't want to take on his responsibility as a father to his son. I think if he would have continued with his counseling then maybe this would not have happened. I heard that she was a wonderful person, always happy and loved everyone. I guess maybe she got tired of the controlling from him and mental abuse that is why she packed up and left. I don't think that there is anything that she did to deserve such a horrible act of violence done to her. My heart goes out to the poor child and her family. I will keep all of them in my prayers.
Peggy

Phoenixville, PA

#141 Apr 22, 2008
Sorry! I didn't think it posted the first one.

Since: Apr 08

Elkton, MD

#143 Apr 22, 2008
Dear Leo,
I am a cousin of Denise"s.. I just wanted to tell you that everyone has an angel. And on that day you were hers. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping and putting your life in jeopardy for my cousin and her son. You deserve the best in life. If she was here she would hug you herself. You are truly a angel from God. May God bless you and your family. Thank you
leo rushton wrote:
thanks for your support ,i did what i had to do ,but it was to late .i take no pride in killing another human,but a man has to do what a man has to do.

Elkton, MD

#144 Apr 22, 2008
You really need to wash your mouth out with soap. Stop and think before you speak
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
ok now i am becoming full of peoples non capabilities of an everyday activity, such as reading....
"I NEVER said that I was defending his actions, so please do not place judgement on me too" I was merely in attempt to make sense out of the sudden... ok why am I even repeating myself, I shouldn't have to do that, because I have said that I was not defending his actions and how he WAS wrong for his actions, so stop treating me like im the one who stabbed someone, because I am related to him. Peopke crack me up on here trying to be so righteous, but you attack me without reading what I have said a million times thus far to explain myself. No wonder why we have random acts of senseless violence all over the world, look at all of the nasty mouths and attitudes!

Elkton, MD

#146 Apr 22, 2008
Are you a twin of John Balla"s?89
crooked wrote:
How about an Islamic fund, we could use the money in a better way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Philadelphia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Philly Harm Reduction 6.5 3 min stampcollector 3,461
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 11 hr Mark wirsner 850
Philly Harm Reduction V (Apr '16) 12 hr Norfcmd21 250
Society Hill ACME lease EXTENDED Sat Roseann Quintin 1
ACME Markets CLOSING 10th & Reed, also Sat Roseann Quintin 3
Chief Judge Simandle is a Fraud Mar 23 Doug 3
ACME Markets in TROUBLE Mar 22 Danielle D Elia 1

Philadelphia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Philadelphia Mortgages