Whatever Happened To: Captain Noah

Full story: NBC 10 Philadelphia

For 27 years, Captain Noah and his Magical Ark captivated the hearts and minds of children and adults.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of55
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Lynn

Norristown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

I used to watch his show every Saturday. Really miss seeing it. Does anyone know when he will be at a public appearance in the near future? Thanks, Lynn
Will

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

He was a consultant for Disney on the Pirates of the Carribean movies.
Juror On The Case

Lenexa, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

Lynn wrote:
I used to watch his show every Saturday. Really miss seeing it. Does anyone know when he will be at a public appearance in the near future? Thanks, Lynn
I know....Him and Kaptain Kangaroo... oh yeah & Sally Star...
Does she still live at Arbor Meadows in Sicklerville, NJ?
Douglas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

Judged:

Was he arrested for sexual molestation of a child in the 80s?

Or was that the Gene guy?
chris

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

captain noah rocked!!!!!! totally blew away all the others at that time, except for sally starr...and shes still going strong.......love luck and lollipops..... remember that?
jml

Fort Washington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Wow, I feel so old. I remember Captain Noah, Kangaroo, Sally Star and Gene London. They all beat most of the shows they have on for kids today.
NancyFranco DVDs Please

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

Judged:

Part One of Two Parts
For 27yrs, Captain Noah & his Magical Ark. 1967-1994 Producer Phila Council of Churches, WPVI TV Studios Ch 6 City Line Ave Phila PA Born July 1926, Noah’s real name is W. Carter Merbreier. Prospect Park HS. Penn & Temple Masters-theology. Minister Pastor - Messiah Lutheran Church in Ardmore, PA. Chaplain Phila Police. Wife, Pat - pro singer. What started as a Sun show with Bible stories, evolved to daily show with songs, puppets & a moral message. Based on Noah’s ark, premier WFIL-TV 1967 supervisor - Lew Klein until 1995. "Thank goodness for the cartoons we ran" says the Cpt’N. "When the female snake handler was bitten & bleeding, we went to cartoon. When the metal sculptor’s tank nozzles caught fire & we were about to be blown onto City Line Ave, we went to cartoon." His book, Television Whats Behind What You See. The show's set is at "Please Touch Museum" Phila. Carter narrated a record 13 childrens concerts with Phila Orchestra & the Pitts Symphony. His Hit TV Series for teenagers, This Is It. He appeared on TV in 50s. For ex, Tues, 8.21.56, on "Thought for Today." WRCV-TV, Ch 3 640-645am. "Its such a privilege to be able to touch childrens lives positively,” Carter told NBC interview 2006. Cpt’N Noah host, Mrs. Noah puppeteer & singer. Larry Ferrari, musician. Ferrari's last broadcast aired 10 days after he passed away Sun 11.30.97 630am. Larry died 11.20.97 - leukemia. 65yo Cinnaminson, NJ resident. Gene Fegely, e-mailed, Carter was his boyhood scout leader. Theme songs - I Can Sing a Rainbow sung - Andy Williams. www.youtube.com/watch... Send Your Pictures to Dear Old Cpt’n Noah www.youtube.com/watch... Famous guests, Elvis Presley & Charles Barkley, puppets Maurice & Wally, cartoons & songs. Phila Phillies mascot, the Phillie Phanatic, debuted 1978. Carter served on Board of Dir WCAU-TV. Cpt’N & Mrs. Noah, honored by Broadcast Pioneers of Phila on 11.14.2001 PERSONS OF THE YEAR. Both Merbreiers are inductees into our Hall of Fame. Official archives of the Broadcast Pioneers of Phila. pioneers@broadcastpioneers.com
NancyFranco DVDs Please

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

Judged:

Popular program appearing daily on daytime tv. Cpt’N Noah & His Magical Ark became a daily children's program in 1970. The show began 1970 aired 7-9am wkys & 30min Sun morning leading out of ABC Sun morning cartoons & into the Al Alberts show. Feature 4 toon shorts daily during wk. Gumby, Popeye (made for TV toons 60's only), Porky Pig (pre 40’s & post 47), & Bugs Bunny (post 1948). 1975 ABC began Good Morning America, WPVI-TV opted to preempt that in favor of Cpt’N Noah & His Magical Ark. Sept 76 WPVI ran 7am hour of Good Morning America, scaled Cpt’N Noah back to 8-9am slot. Format unchanged. 1978, Popeye cartoons moved to WTAF-29 (now WTXF, Fox29) WB cartoons moved to Ch 17 WPHL (later to 48 WKBS & back to WPHL), WPVI dropped wkday ed Cpt’N Noah & began running Good Morning America in entirety. Cpt’N Noah con’t as wknd program. It ran 1 hr Sat morns & often contained 8am cartoon, 1/2hr show offered by ABC within the show. Sun morn 30min before Kids Are People Too. 15min ed inserted into Kids Are People Too. 1981 Cpt’N Noah scaled back to 30min Sat morns & until 94 with no cartoons. NBC So, whatever happened to Cpt’N Noah? 7.10.06 Update 7.11.06 Dozens of viewers sent e-mails to NBC asking, Ruggles NBC went on a search for the cpt’n. He & Pat married 50+ years. Most of that time, millions of people knew them as Cpt’N Noah & his first mate.
The sea cpt’n & his 1st mate wife learned as they went along. Pat was not only the singer, she was seamstress & head puppeteer. "You just had to be imaginative," Pat said. "Do what comes naturally." Over the years, there were big-name guests such as Elvis & Charles Barkley, core of the daily 90min program The things kids loved -- drawings, puppets & songs. "Good memories, childhood memories, simpler times," said a fan. "Feels great. They know what we're like and they like us," Pat said.
Like so many other children's shows done in Phila, Cpt’N Noah replaced by syndicated programming. Cpt’N Noah's ship is at Please Touch Museum. You can find Cpt’N Noah & his 1st mate in their garden in suburban Phila with their flowers & beautiful memories that grew out of 27yrs on children's television. R_McCaffery Bryn Mawr, PA 5.20.08 Today in Ardmore PA, I noticed a large white car trying to park in front of us. What caught my attention was the license plate "TV Noah". The only thing I could think of was Capt. Noah. While waiting for my husband, I watched as the door opened on the passenger side & a little lady popped out. I looked at her face & immediately thought, "It's got to be Pat & Capt Noah himself in the driver's seat!!! Actually, I thought Capt Noah has passed away, so I was happy to see the two of them out & about! Yes, they are still around. They had a great show for kids & I miss it.

Thank You Carter & Pat for giving us the strength hope and foresight to endure the rest of our days.
Beetle Becca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Now they air reruns on WPVI's digital channel(#245 on Comcast Cable in Philly), at Saturday 8am and Sunday 1pm. The reruns are from the later years of the show, around 1993 or 1994.
Gimme Shelter

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Where is Mr. Moose ? I need some ping-pong balls..LOL
Bonnie

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Gene London. I remember he was my fave but I don't remember why lol ! Wasn't he the one with the 3 Stooges ? And I once won a Suzie Homemaker oven from Sally Star. You know the ones that baked the little cakes with the light bulb hehehhehe.
Bonnie

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Gene Londons Cartoon Cornors theme song. I do not remember this at all !

Come right into the General Store
We have licorice, gumdrops and sourballs;
Anything you're hankering for,
You'll find in Cartoon Corners General Store.

There's lots of stories and songs that you know,
Toys to build and a big pot belly stove;
Cartoon fun with your favorites so,
Let's ring up the curtain on this show!

There's something else I've forgotten, let's see,
Of course, Gene London, that's me!
Gimme Shelter

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Bonnie wrote:
Gene London. I remember he was my fave but I don't remember why lol ! Wasn't he the one with the 3 Stooges ? And I once won a Suzie Homemaker oven from Sally Star. You know the ones that baked the little cakes with the light bulb hehehhehe.
No, he wasn't one of the stooges. Don't you remember Quigley Mansion ? How about Pixann ? Nothing hotter than a woman in a pixie outfit, well, maybe a french maid.

Since: Mar 08

Brookhaven PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

mister moose and the ping pong balls.....that sold me on captain kangaroo as a little kid. i cant recall another thing about the show.
Joey

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

My God, Pixanne was my first boyhood "fantasy"
Yeah I said you people

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Bonnie wrote:
Gene Londons Cartoon Cornors theme song. I do not remember this at all !
Come right into the General Store
We have licorice, gumdrops and sourballs;
Anything you're hankering for,
You'll find in Cartoon Corners General Store.
There's lots of stories and songs that you know,
Toys to build and a big pot belly stove;
Cartoon fun with your favorites so,
Let's ring up the curtain on this show!
There's something else I've forgotten, let's see,
Of course, Gene London, that's me!
I know Ms Elaine works at PSPCA on Erie ave

Since: Mar 08

Brookhaven PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

does anyone remember when mister moose was teaching him spanish and he said muéstreme cien?
(show me 100)
Bonnie

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Waaaaaaaa I don't remember Pixanne. Help me out here. Damn I'm getting old !!!
Joey

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Gimme Shelter wrote:
<quoted text>No, he wasn't one of the stooges. Don't you remember Quigley Mansion ? How about Pixann ? Nothing hotter than a woman in a pixie outfit, well, maybe a french maid.
we think alike LOL
Bonnie

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

OMG didn't he have the Indian ? Hoogie yoogie yanna hay yanna hay yanna hay... cool it daddio ?? OMG LMBO !! He came to our school was I was in Kindergarten !! Chief Halftown !!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of55
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Philadelphia Forum right now

Search the Philadelphia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 4 hr Capt Lou 51,114
Philly Fun 5 hr Youre a loser 4
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 5 hr Youre a loser 383
Illegals? What about our kids? 6 hr Jack1 1
Israel Supporters Rally In Philadelphia As Gaza... 20 hr muslim louse 4
Phila. man, 57, convicted in home-invasion robbery Fri D brown 1
Questions, passions remain over deadly Southwes... Jul 10 D brown 1
•••
•••

Philadelphia News Video

•••
•••

Philadelphia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000