Empty sacred spaces become white elephants

Aug 19, 2012 | Posted by: Joe DeCaro | Full story: www.virtueonline.org

Hunger, health care, and urban violence are the usual subjects of concern when the Religious Leaders Council of Greater Philadelphia gathers for its semiannual meetings.

But at the spring 2011 session, a new topic was cast into the mix: real estate ...

Comments
21 - 40 of 75 Comments Last updated Sep 14, 2012

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
Hey, Einstein! You are the one who said you posted the material to make me look like an idiot ...
Not only did I never say that, it would also be redundant.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only did I never say that, it would also be redundant.
Yeah, you did.

In post #10, above.

"I have two points: that David Virtue didn't write this story, and that you are clueless." - quoteth Joe "Boom Boom" DeCaro, the Roman Catholic pugilist.

A flyweight contender, he's so punch drunk, he can't remember what he wrote 5 posts ago!

Oh, sorry. You wrote "clueless" and I wrote that your one point of two was that I was an "idiot." How very "stupid" of me to so brazenly misrepresent the gist of your characterization. You must have meant that I was a smart idiot.

I know. Its tough to be so regularly and easily misunderstood.
Damned English language. Nobody ever says what they mean, anymore.

Rev. Ken

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you did.
In post #10, above ...
Post #10 (from page 1, not 2):
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I have two points: that David Virtue didn't write this story, and that you are clueless.
What page of sheet music are you on?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Post #10 (from page 1, not 2):
<quoted text>
What page of sheet music are you on?
LMAO!!!....

That's right! Post #10 of this thread. The posts are numbered;

Your post #10, above in the sequence, to which I gave reference.

Go ahead. Act stupid if it blows your skirt up and that's what you like. Don't matter much, anyway.

As for the thread topic and your source, VirtueOnline, real estate issues are ancillary to Church ministry, anyway. VirtueOnline is just making mountains out of molehills like he generally always does. And then, you repeat his drivel here to try to make some useless point, trying to make TEC look bad.

9 of 300 Episcopal Churches recently closed in that Diocese.

So what? So not much.

Rev. Ken

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
Go ahead. Act stupid if it blows your skirt up and that's what you like ...
Not only don't I think like you, Ken, I don't dress like you either.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only don't I think like you, Ken, I don't dress like you either.
Do you wear a ‘teddy’ instead of a dress or do you stick with the more traditional black lace panties, fish net stockings, pointy black bra with black high heels?

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you wear a ‘teddy’ instead of a dress ...
"dress" is also a verb, McClueless.
George

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
....Anyway, most of the members that we have been losing are people who are not comfortable letting go of their [previously] institutionalized hypocritical and bigoted doctrines. If you want these doctrines and views to be labeled "orthodox Anglicanism," go ahead, label them as such. But, that does not change the fact that the doctrine has been realized to be hypocritical and bigoted.
....Too bad. If you don't cotton to the truth.
Rev. Ken
Hypocritical and bigoted - but this is what the BCP says about how Episcopalians are to know truth taught by the Holy Spirit:

"Q. How do we recognize the truths taught by the Holy
Spirit?
A. We recognize truths to be taught by the Holy Spirit
when they are in accord with the Scriptures. "

So how do you reconcile your catechism with your novel ideas of the truths into which TEO is being led?

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

George wrote:
... this is what the BCP says about how Episcopalians are to know truth taught by the Holy Spirit:
Spirit?
The same way the noble Bereans did in Acts 17:11.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

George wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocritical and bigoted - but this is what the BCP says about how Episcopalians are to know truth taught by the Holy Spirit:
Spirit?
So how do you reconcile your catechism with your novel ideas of the truths into which TEO is being led?
George,

I suppose, from your point of view, that this is a really good question.

But, I know you better than that. So, it is more appropriate that I answer your question with a question that you can answer that will answer your question without me having to step into your snare.

Better yet, I'll give you three questions. You choose whether or not to answer with a reply on this thread.

1. What do you suppose that St. Paul meant when he wrote that "We see through a glass, darkly...?"

2. How did the Roman "Magisterium" reconcile their catechism with the novel ideas of Galileo Galilei into which the Church of Rome was being led?

3. What is the simple, classic, scriptural definition of faith?

Rev. Ken
George

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
George,
But, I know you better than that. So, it is more appropriate that I answer your question with a question that you can answer that will answer your question without me having to step into your snare.
Better yet, I'll give you three questions. You choose whether or not to answer with a reply on this thread.
1. What do you suppose that St. Paul meant when he wrote that "We see through a glass, darkly...?"
2. How did the Roman "Magisterium" reconcile their catechism with the novel ideas of Galileo Galilei into which the Church of Rome was being led?
Rev. Ken
I didn't expect an answer. One of the "bishops" from Pennsylvania answered it for you. He said: "the church wrote the Bible -- so the church can change it." I understand how that works - whatever kooky idea of the lunatic fringe can garner support from the guilt ridden 60's hippy generation is what passes for revelation.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
George,
Rev. Ken
They are not here to learn, just to tear down.

What a waste..........

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

George wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't expect an answer. One of the "bishops" from Pennsylvania answered it for you. He said: "the church wrote the Bible -- so the church can change it." I understand how that works - whatever kooky idea of the lunatic fringe can garner support from the guilt ridden 60's hippy generation is what passes for revelation.
What he said was true, as evidenced by early editions.

Facts always bite you in the butt.........
George

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
What he said was true, as evidenced by early editions.
Facts always bite you in the butt.........
So then why does YOUR church teach?
"Q. Why do we call the Holy Scriptures the Word of God?
A. We call them the Word of God because God inspired
their human authors and because God still speaks to us
through the Bible."
So - even though inspired by God, we are free to alter Holy Scripture so long as a majority of the delegates at GC say it is OK? Or is this another of your church's teachings that you simply ignore if you have a personal revelation that is contradictory?

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

George wrote:
<quoted text>
So then why does YOUR church teach?
"Q. Why do we call the Holy Scriptures the Word of God?
A. We call them the Word of God because God inspired
their human authors and because God still speaks to us
through the Bible."
So - even though inspired by God, we are free to alter Holy Scripture so long as a majority of the delegates at GC say it is OK? Or is this another of your church's teachings that you simply ignore if you have a personal revelation that is contradictory?
There's a difference between inspired and written by God....
George

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between inspired and written by God....
I agree but that is no answer to the question.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

George wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the matter, George?

You say you didn't expect an answer. But you got one, anyway, in the form of three ideas that require you to formulate either a reply or an answer within your own understanding. Which did you choose? I'm curious.

Then you said that another Episcopal bishop answered for me. But, his was hardly the answer my questions should have evoked in you.

I made a reference to St. Paul's own characterization of his comprehension of reality and truth in scripture.

I made a reference to the truth that G. Galileo realized and made known to the public, only to be forced into submission and retraction of his thesis by the Roman Church. The Church, as you may know, gave a half-assed apology and an acknowledgment of Galileo's truth only in the last decade, 500 years later.

Third, I asked for your review of the uncomplicated definition of Faith. There is a simple scriptural quote:...substance of things hoped for,... etc. I was hoping that you would acknowledge the implications of this definition as it relates to the immutability of Church doctrine and the stubborn aspects of Tradition that historically persist in spite of finding that scripture was or is inadequate or is flat out wrong about some things.

Maybe I expected too much from you. Though, in my own mind and heart, I believe that you are more than capable of providing a cogent point of view that recognizes that there must be - must be - inadequacies in scripture, even if we do call it the "word or Word of God," "God's word or Word" or "Biblical Truth."

Rev. Ken

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the matter, George?
You say you didn't expect an answer. But you got one, anyway, in the form of three ideas that require you to formulate either a reply or an answer within your own understanding. Which did you choose? I'm curious.
Then you said that another Episcopal bishop answered for me. But, his was hardly the answer my questions should have evoked in you.
I made a reference to St. Paul's own characterization of his comprehension of reality and truth in scripture.
I made a reference to the truth that G. Galileo realized and made known to the public, only to be forced into submission and retraction of his thesis by the Roman Church. The Church, as you may know, gave a half-assed apology and an acknowledgment of Galileo's truth only in the last decade, 500 years later.
Third, I asked for your review of the uncomplicated definition of Faith. There is a simple scriptural quote:...substance of things hoped for,... etc. I was hoping that you would acknowledge the implications of this definition as it relates to the immutability of Church doctrine and the stubborn aspects of Tradition that historically persist in spite of finding that scripture was or is inadequate or is flat out wrong about some things.
Maybe I expected too much from you. Though, in my own mind and heart, I believe that you are more than capable of providing a cogent point of view that recognizes that there must be - must be - inadequacies in scripture, even if we do call it the "word or Word of God," "God's word or Word" or "Biblical Truth."
Rev. Ken
Brilliant and way over the head of Georgiekins...

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

George wrote:
<quoted text>
So is it inspired or did God write it?
George

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
So is it inspired or did God write it?
I believe it to have been inspired by God but whether it was "merely" inspired by God or was even more definitively directed, does that make you and your ilk free to change it to coincide with your freaky predelictions?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Philadelphia Forum right now

Search the Philadelphia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 4 hr derek jeter 396
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 4 hr Big Daddy 3,812
anyone try super beta prostate (Dec '12) 16 hr Really 7
Phila. man accused of Nazi crimes is hospitalized Wed Mustang Mike 1
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Wed More Settled Science 51,184
Jen Freeman Wed bubbles0o0o 3
Holy Family Institute Hosting Child Refugees Fr... Tue Have Fun 23
•••
•••

Philadelphia News Video

•••
•••

Philadelphia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••