A tale of a lost Philippine Airlines ...

A tale of a lost Philippine Airlines luggage

There are 2 comments on the Asian Correspondent story from Jan 29, 2012, titled A tale of a lost Philippine Airlines luggage. In it, Asian Correspondent reports that:

On an unplanned trip back to my hometown just before the hectic Chinese New Year holidays, I was happy to find a reasonably priced Philippine Airlines flight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asian Correspondent.

Luis Calvo

Capri, Philippines

#1 Jan 29, 2012
It is a good thing that you wrote your unfortunate experience here to make know to many who had the same tale to tell. I for one had it on my way from Manila to San Francisco a year ago. While waiting for the luggages to come out of the baggage chute upon arrival, I waited for my bag to appear among all the others and was dismayed when after sometime, mine did not seem to be among them. I thought perhaps I just missed seeing it . I went around the chute , waited again until nothing came out anymore. I was determined to find it and asked a porter where it could possibly have gone, and he told me to check behind the machine and was lucky enough to see it being loaded to a cart about to leave the place for outside. I can not say for sure why that happens, but I suspect there is a syndicate who does the stealing as the bags go by unnoticed by the owners. So, keep a close watch and do not ever stop watching it while on the machine going around.
EGA

Hayward, CA

#2 Apr 10, 2013
My elderly parents flew from Guam-Manila-Loaog in December. On return flight, Philippine Airlines representatives had stolen one luggage and had pilfered another. Needless to say, my parents were devastated and Christmas was ruined because of the theft. It appeared to be an orchestrated incident because:
1) One of the bag claim ticket was barely readable with the luggage tag showing destination of LAX instead of GUM. Different name was also applied. My parents were the first to check in, so this mistake should not have accidently happened. It was clearly a set-up.
2) Philippine Airlines representative on GUM had noted that "it happened again". Which means it appears to be a common occurence.
3) One bag was stolen, while the other locked bag was opened and specific "gifts" were removed.
4) On an previous flight out of Loaog, parents were told that one of the bags was overweight by 2 lbs, and they were gonna have to pay a $100 penalty, which was not true...later realized that the baggage was on exact weight limit of 50 pounds.
Philippine Airlines wanted to compensate us with $300 and they used a "weight formula" to determimne the compensation. They wanted receipts (who gives receipts in the Philippines?). Managed to bump it up to $400 after numerous emails, but my parents had lost a lot more money and time. You can't compensate for priceless items such as pictures, and one of a kind momentos, and to top it all off, all the Christmas presents to Friends and Family were all gone on Christmas Eve. Regardless, Philippine Airlines was not helpful in this regards, and I am upset that my parents had to go through this. It is ironic that Philippine Airlines email address for lost baggage and complaints is [email protected] The truth of the matter is...they don't. They don't even want to admit it is a theft, or if they were gonna do anything about the situation.
So, if you ever happen to book a trip to Loaog, make sure you A- get travel insurance, B- fly a different airline, C- Keep your receipts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Mindanao, Philippines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun '16 tine 673
News Trillanes: No bank secrecy waiver from Duterte May '16 Gun 1
News 'Tanim-bala' threatens PH tourism (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fred 1
News Binay: Batang palengke ako (Aug '15) Sep '15 Ekang 2
News Pastor' faces estafa, illegal recruitment... (May '13) Aug '15 anonie 55
News Filipino clergy hopeful for disaster risk reduc... (Apr '15) Jul '15 ELIAS IBARRA 28
News 231 renewable energy projects still pending (Mar '15) Mar '15 Solarman 1
More from around the web