Promoting the Philippines as a retirement haven

Aug 24, 2008 Full story: Manila Bulletin 131

INTERNATIONAL real estate is set to be the biggest and best investment market of the next several years, especially for retirees.

Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

San Pedro, Philippines

#136 Jan 30, 2010
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> But, what are your best options if you travel out from there?
You'll be seeing more attractions like the waterfalls and breathtaking sceneries and cool climate of Marilog and Bukidnon on the north, the 100+ kms whitesand beaches, bonsai forest of Davao Oriental in the west, Camp Sabros zipline, hot springs of Davao del Sur and north Cotabato etc.

Those you were hearing were puppet media sensationalism that dated long ago back from the early 80's or isolated cases hundreds of kms from the city and those recent incidences like bombings many years ago turned out caused not by locals or even Mindanao Muslims, but terrorists based from Cebu or terrrorist bomber- CIA agent Michael Meiring, they were already exposed as to who they really are with their ulterior motives to sabotage this very promising place.

Otherwise Davao City (and most of its outskirts) will literally be the safest major city you will discover, you can literally use your cellphone anytime without fear (the criminals either fled away for being hunted or went otherworld already) and even use it to dial 911 toll free and assured of systematic response at most 5 minutes. True Dabawenyos are peace loving though uncompromising, and prefer to keep it that way.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#137 Jan 30, 2010
Thanks for your advice...what are your thoughts on General Santos, Zamboanga City, and Cagayon Del Orto? Please excuse my spelling.......

Since: Feb 07

Parañaque, Philippines

#138 Jan 31, 2010
^^ Haven't been recently to most of these cities, except dropping by a week ago in CDO. GenSan is a boomtown city with malls sprouting and known for tuna indutry, it's an orderly planned city with still more available space and nearby Sarangani province offers scenic beaches; Zamboanga has rich history with diverse cultures with their own unique dialect, Chavacano. CDO is another boomtown city as Mindanao's heavy industries are preferably located in northern Mindanao (Davao tends to be lukewarm to these due to environmental reasons); Cagayanons are basically a friendly people altough they tend to be competitive and always wished to fairy godmother they'll overtake Davao, to the amusement of the latter. The city needs some cleaning up though.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#139 Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, i am always amazed that they don't rake all the trash into a pile, and just burn it...lol...
Tsinelas

Wigan, UK

#140 Oct 22, 2010
jhon sarvoy wrote:
the president of the retarees association of the philippines was arrested by bid-immigration department because he tried to defend the interest of other foreign menbers and not to lose their money,the intention of the filipino goverment was to deport him in order to chut his mouth and reap off the retarees foreigners,stealing their deposits.
most filipinos talk about their country as a charming,fantastic and gentle people,but nobody say anything about there is a law for the filipino people and other law for the foreigner.
when a filipino citizen create a false acusation against a foreigner visiting the philippines nobody investigate,because all the partys involve are only after money, money and only money and not justice for the foreigner,what a country beter not to go overthere,yes ,yes.
ANY FOREIGNER INTENTING TO RETIRE AT THE PHILIPPINES SHOULD RESEARCHE BEFORE MAKING SUCH BIG DECISION.DO NOT BELIEVE OTHER FILIPINO PERSON
CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL EMBASSY STAFF(talk to your own people only at your embassy and not filipino staff.do not believe your own filipino wife because her pride or luck of information or because of her family convinience they want you to bring money into their country and after is too late,you will be blackmail and you will regret it.better be sure than regret it later ....
The Philippines isn't for all .But I have seen growing number of foreign retirees with much different mindset that you .
Tsinelas

Wigan, UK

#141 Oct 22, 2010
Elaine in South Africa wrote:
<quoted text>
Please go to www.pra.gov.ph and join the SRRV program (Senior Residents Retiree Visa) This way you will be protected. We joined the program in 2004 but had to return to SA as my mom-in-law was ill. She has sadly passed away and we will be returning to the Philippines in 2011, and we can't wait! We have never had a bad experience in the Philippines and have travelled extensively there. I know that most retireees prefer to live in the more "western' type cities in the Philippines, but our hearts belongs to Dumaguete! Just be aware that there are 'no go' areas in every country, and make it your business to find out where those areas are. Enjoy your retirement!
Really cool ! Great , you like Dumaguete !
I hope the Dumaguete city will stand to your good impression . Me and my spouse will be an added retiree for Dumaguete once my youngest child would leave the nest and hopefully settled by that time .Perhaps living in the Philippines 6 months and back working in the UK for 6 months too until I reach my retirement age .
I hope Dumaguete will stay as pleasant as it is now .
redriverfollow

Philippines

#142 Oct 23, 2010
Comotes Island and Bohol are the new retirement settlement areas for those who want clean air, clean water and reasonably priced land and other items.
Forget Cebu, I live here (not for much longer) and the pollution is so entrenched into this province that I see little hope for regeneration anytime in the near future.
My wife, our 3 year old daughter and I are always beset by flu or cold here and so many of our friends have died of cancer over the past 5 years.
Go online and check out the areas I typed in and I am sure you will find that I am right.
Better yet, fly here, spend a night in Cebu Province, then visit the two places I mentioned above and you will see exactly what I mean.
Monte wrote:
Would Cebu or Davao be the best option to consider for retirement? Also, is Angeles a large enough town to consider for retirement? I would appreciate any information, also security aspect for a white american? Thanks.
redriverfollow

Philippines

#143 Oct 23, 2010
There is an old saying in the U.S.A., "Home is where you hang your hat" also, "You can run away from your problems, but you can't run away from yourself".
If someone is terribly unhappy living here, they were most likely unhappy living where they were raised as well (see above sayings) and will be unhappy no matter where they live.
Tsinelas wrote:
<quoted text>
The Philippines isn't for all .But I have seen growing number of foreign retirees with much different mindset that you .
Dina

Sydney, Australia

#144 Oct 23, 2010
why i shouldn't retire in the Phils

1. when you're old then you need maintenance medications, the cost of medications in the Phils is exorbitant.

2. expensive diagnostic procedures like CT scan, MRI, etc

3. although there are nice hospitals but it comes also with a price government hospitals are no good.

4. peace and order this is something we don't need to elaborate.

5. fruits are expensive also

6. somebody suggested on places like Camotes, Bohol etc but you need to travel very far to get medical attention. that's very exhausting and stressful for an old aged person.

7. poor and corrupt government service that makes you stress as well. i could imagine when i build my house people from the city government will ask bribe to expedite the processing of my building permit.

8. stressful and scary for an old person to drive.

9. not all buildings and public venues have elderly or disabled access let alone parking for these type of people.

10. no discounts on public transport, public functions for old aged pensioners

11. no legislations that protects the rights and well being for the elderly.

12. you will have instant friends and relatives for as long as you have money but nowhere to be found as soon as your money runs dry.
Visaya

San Francisco, CA

#145 Oct 23, 2010
If you're old and living alone as most elderlies here, you end up in Hospices at the mercy of the caretakers. No visitors, no relatives, just yourself looking at the windows waiting to die...

If you're in Pi and have dollar pensions, you can even call Doctors and nurses to visit you at home instead of going to the hospitals...

Why do you have to worry about driving yourself, even young ones with money just hire their own drivers;'

peace and order, that depends if you go to Maguindanao or Sulu. It depends on what city you want to live...

Medicines, of course expensive, but why worry when your dollar is worth 42 times...

In Davao, there are hosopitals walking distance and a hospital for kidney transplant where foreigners are even

Public transport for pensioners is not recommended.
Buy your own car with driver or use the cabs.

If it's time for one to die, it's time to die, no matter where you are....

Not everybody wanting to retire in PI need to be scanned.

Just my opinion too....
Visaya

San Francisco, CA

#146 Oct 23, 2010
upppsss , it should be where foreigners are patronizing the kidney hospital.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dumaguete, Philippines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McDonald's is NOT McDonald's in Dumaguete Nov 23 Notused2badService 1
4 foreign chambers identify 5 cities as retirem... (Jul '08) Nov 18 inquiringmind 13
What a boring hick town Nov 15 commen7tator 1
How f-cked up can a website and c--eres bus com... Oct 30 nota p-igto-pex a... 1
Mission Impossible Oct '14 nottabut-theadmod... 1
Beer in Philippines Oct '14 bittrnewz 1
topix admins move to ban tor servers so u can n... Oct '14 cannothidedatruth 1

Dumaguete, Philippines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:46 am PST