Roach: End of Pacman Era In Boxing Draws Near

Oct 24, 2010 Full story: GantDaily.com 15

Four-time Trainer of the Year Freddie Roach believes the end is drawing near for Manny Pacquiao, asboxing's top pound-for-pound fighter becomes more interested in his new career in politics.

Full Story

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1 Oct 26, 2010
from the article:

"“We are going to lose Manny Pacquiao to politics, for sure,” Roach told BBC News about a looming retirement of his ward."

It's like losing your wife or husband to somebody fatter, uglier, and older than you. Too bad.

but then again, all good things must come to an end.

or maybe, he just isn't interested in this bout with this opponent. Could be he would like the dancing Mayweather, like he wants to relegate Floyd to just dance at "Dancing with the Stars", instead of in the ring where real men shut up and just do what they're supposed to do ?
SoObviousItHurts

Lake Zurich, IL

#2 Oct 26, 2010
Pacquiao will retire without ever having to show courage against Mayweather.
morons united

Seattle, WA

#3 Oct 26, 2010
Arum does'nt care who wins as long as he gets his share of the proceeds. He used them all including Ali and Frazier the cripples.

Location hidden

#4 Oct 26, 2010
SoObviousItHurts wrote:
Pacquiao will retire without ever having to show courage against Mayweather.
it's obvious he's going to retire, and it don't hurt.
but he doesn't have to prove his courage against a loudmouth or anybody else for that matter.
everybody knows he has no lack of it.
I would think he didn't have the guts to face your boy if he, Pacquiao, was the one who started raising doubts about his opponent.
he who cries, it smells, is the one who farted.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#5 Oct 26, 2010
I think, in the end, it is a mark againest Mayweather, that he looked cowardly, in all the excuses he used, to get out of fighting Manny.....
SoObviousItHurts

Lake Zurich, IL

#6 Oct 26, 2010
halohalo2 wrote:
<quoted text>
it's obvious he's going to retire, and it don't hurt.
but he doesn't have to prove his courage against a loudmouth or anybody else for that matter.
everybody knows he has no lack of it.
I would think he didn't have the guts to face your boy if he, Pacquiao, was the one who started raising doubts about his opponent.
he who cries, it smells, is the one who farted.
I could have sworn you stated you were educated. Writing in absolutes is sign that you aren't.

'Everybody' does not include numerous boxing pundits who are in record that Mayweather would beat Pacquiao.'Everybody' does not include those of us who aren't delusional Filipinos.
'Everybody' doesn't include those who fought both Mayweather and Pacquiao either.

When the time came to step up and say, "I'll do what it takes to prove I'm clean and shut his mouth.", Pacquiao whined about a fear of needles. LOL!

All major sports governing bodies do the type of testing that Mayweather demanded. Those athletes set world records and perform without incidence from the testing procedures.

However, the coup de grace here is Pacquaio's duplicity. He demanded that Margarito prove that the fight would be fair. Beyond what the governing body requires, Team Pacquiao said there would be no fight if Margarito didn't submit to a tape and glove inspection pre-fight. Mayweather asked for similar guarantees and was met with the Filipino two step - deny and hide.

The irony is truly astounding.

Location hidden

#8 Oct 26, 2010
SoObviousItHurts wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have sworn you stated you were educated. Writing in absolutes is sign that you aren't.
'Everybody' does not include numerous boxing pundits who are in record that Mayweather would beat Pacquiao.'Everybody' does not include those of us who aren't delusional Filipinos.
'Everybody' doesn't include those who fought both Mayweather and Pacquiao either.
When the time came to step up and say, "I'll do what it takes to prove I'm clean and shut his mouth.", Pacquiao whined about a fear of needles. LOL!
All major sports governing bodies do the type of testing that Mayweather demanded. Those athletes set world records and perform without incidence from the testing procedures.
However, the coup de grace here is Pacquaio's duplicity. He demanded that Margarito prove that the fight would be fair. Beyond what the governing body requires, Team Pacquiao said there would be no fight if Margarito didn't submit to a tape and glove inspection pre-fight. Mayweather asked for similar guarantees and was met with the Filipino two step - deny and hide.
Little boy, you really need to grow up, son.
None of those pundits disputed Pacquiao's courage.
None of those who fought him disputed that, either.
Except you, and I don't even know if you're not going to pee in your pants if somebody your size fought you because the way you've been carrying in on picking on us Filipinos and me in particular
you sound like you were a certified bully.
Your little buddy Mayweather started this whole thing with his uncalled for comments on something which is unproven about Manny Pacquiao who called Margarito on something which is a proven fact: the guy does rig his gloves. so there's no two steps here, except in your scramble egg brains.
SoObviousItHurts

Lake Zurich, IL

#9 Oct 26, 2010
Bwahahahahaha!
This is why I love seeing you post here - I get the chance to show the board just what a dunce you are.
"None of those pundits disputed Pacquiao's courage." WRONG
From RingTalk.com
PACQUIAO REFUSES STRICT STEROID TESTS!
December 22nd, 2009 By Pedro Fernandez
BIGGEST FIGHT EVER NOW IN PERIL
San Francisco, CA- To paraphrase a boxing prophet,“Only Egos Could Derail Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather.” That was a fortnight ago. Now it appears that the alleged Steroid use by Manny Pacquiao might kill the 2010 fight! In case you’ve been under a rock, Manny Pacquiao, the king of all boxing, was accused first by Floyd Mayweather Sr., father Of Mayweather Jr., of using Steroids months ago. Then former welterweight champion Kermit Cintron, appearing on “Ring Talk Worldwide,” the longest (25 years) and most entertaining fight show in history, Cintron said there was “no doubt” in his mind that Pacquiao was “using something.”
G.B.P. CZAR SAYS PAC REFUSES STEROID TESTS
Those backing the Filipino phenom Manny Pacquiao, they have spent thousands of hours on the Internet accosting anybody who broaches the subject of Pacquiao and Steroids. Well, according to Richard Schaeffer, the financial wizard that puts away Oscar De La Hoya’s money at Golden Boy Promotions, and who is handling Floyd’s business here, said Tuesday afternoon that Manny has backed out of the “Olympic style testing for steroids.”
THIS SOUNDS LIKE…WELL…PLAIN OLD BULL S*IT!
Although his defenders will try and spin this in some far reaching if not ridiculous manner, Pacquiao was thought to have agreed to Steroid testing as outlined and mandated by the United States Anti Doping Agency. That appears not to be the case as Pacquiao promoter Todd du beof, Top Rank VP, informed Schaeffer that “Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn’t want to do it so close to the fight. Pacquiao would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight. Schaffer continued with his press release.“Pacquiao would not agree to have his blood taken within 30-days of the bout based on the fighter’s superstition of testing so close to a fight.”
WHICH LAME ASS EXCUSE APPLIES?
First it was superstitions, then an aversion to needles, which excuse applies, if either and or both? This to me sounds as if Pacquiao’s reps are throwing everything they can at the wall of public opinion, this in the hope that something will stick. For Manny or his cronies to use either as an excuse is pure unadulterated bull s*it, especially in light of the Mayweather Sr. and Cintron’s public accusations that they feel Manny has indeed utilized anabolic Steroids/performance enhancing drugs.
~continued
SoObviousItHurts

Lake Zurich, IL

#10 Oct 26, 2010
TESTING TIMES CRITICAL WITH DESIGNER DRUGS
The US Doping Agency would make unannounced visits of both Mayweather and Pacquiao’s training camps and take both blood and urine samples. If you are going to use Steroids, you need to take them and then stop in order to flush your system at a specific date and time in order to pass a post fight drug test. Look, I had some blood drawn a few weeks ago, and I don’t even look when they do it. With the veins that Manny has in his arms, it’s not like they are going to search hard to tap one for crimson.
PAC SHOOTS HIMSELF BY REFUSING STEROID TESTS!
If Manny continues to not want to adhere the strictest of Steroid tests, then all this does is nix the biggest fight in history, and at the same time leave fair-minded folks with the feeling that Manny Pacquiao, the great fighter who has fought from mini flyweight (108 lbs) to welterweight (147), was just what Mayweather and Cintron claimed, a cheat!
The author was one of several I could have quoted here. LOL!

While you hide in the States, I was sent to protect you in Afghanistan and Iraq. Not only did I encounter men that were my size but they were dispatched when the need arose. I fear no one. That is the beauty of being free of organized religion's crutch and superior education and training. I may get beat some day but it will never be by an assclown like you. LOL!
Bully? Awww, do you want me to stop making you look stupid? Okay...don't post idiotic ramble and I won't taunt your blunders.

Mayweather is hardly to blame for Manny being a pussy. Much of the boxing world suspects that Manny was using illicit substances. The above noted writer echoed the sentiment of those who doubt Manny. Pacquiao had the chance to man up - Mayweather agreed to take whatever tests, at the same time, as any given Manny. Manny said he was afraid. Manny showed the world he is afraid.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 27, 2010
What a freaking waste of cut and paste time, runny nose.
all you did was show that Pacquiao refuses to take those tests but none of your so-called sources ever accused him of cowardice, which is lack of courage is.
figures though, for bullies like you, you'd never know courage when you see one.
so, blow your nose, little boy, don't swallow the mucus, now, you hear ?

Location hidden

#12 Oct 27, 2010
and, oh, by the way, you can claim to be anything or anyone on the internet. you can say you're the bravest, fearless sob around, it don't mean nuthin'. you're still hiding behind the anonymity of the web.
did you know that I was there when Samson slew the Philistines ?
Yeah, like somebody said: in the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Dog.
RDT

Nottingham, MD

#13 Oct 27, 2010
SoObviousItHurts wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an ill informed idiot, even when it comes to sports it appears.

The first Mayweather-Pacquaio fight didn't materialize because Jr found a bargaining position to duck the fight. He ducked the fight because he knows the outcome of a fight with Pacman isn't an assured victory. He appears not to be solely concerned about 'getting bank' and more concerned about his reputation. Instead he fought Mosely, whom he has ducked his entire career until Mosely is at the end of his game. Mosely is well past his prime and is collecting bank on his way out, as well as promoting Golden Boys, which he is part owner.

Pacquaio fought Cotto, whom many pundits thought would be too big and too strong for Pacman. These tend to be the same pundits who argue that Jr would beat Pacman. Pacman clearly out dueled Cotto and hammered away at the heavier fighter to victory. Obviously, Cotto is not Jr, but I have a feeling it created a greater sense of concern for Jr in the manner in which Pacman dictated the fight.

After those two fights, now we sense Jr ducking Pacman without a legitimate excuse, after Arum said Pacquaio will accept the stricter blood testing. As the media turned negative on Jr, he restored to some racist rhetoric, which most sports journalists have almost completely ignored, and found himself in trouble with the law for alleged assault of his baby's mother. Maybe you should save your diatribes for Mayweather, Captain Clueless.

Your description of the Margarito taping of the gloves issue seems to completely disregard the fact that his corner got caught putting plaster of Paris in his hand wrappings before his Mosely fight some 18 months ago. Are you not aware he was suspended from boxing in the US for an entire year due to this incident? I don't find it so incredulous that Roach would protect his fighter by demanding a strict inspection of the gloves for the fight. Your comprehension of the facts shows who the true a$$clown is in this discussion, Geraldine.

Further it looks that Arum is trying to down play Pacman's preparation for the Margarito fight due to his new preference to be a Senator rather then a boxer. I think it is a concerted effort to lure Mayweather into a false sense of security to get his butt in the ring sometime next year. That's speculation on my part, but with the cowardice and immaturity Jr has shown this year it might be dead on accurate.
RDT

Nottingham, MD

#14 Oct 27, 2010
Looks like Pacman in San Juan, RP already proved SoObviousItHurts! is an a$$clown on this subject.

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/philippines/...
SoObviousItHurts

Lake Zurich, IL

#15 Oct 27, 2010
That's funny. Read that thread and see that just like here, I showed the duplicity of people like you. You claim that Mayweather ducked the fight, although almost every major boxing journalist stated otherwise at the time. LOL!

The fact that you cannot admit that most of the boxing world suspects Pacquiao is cheating is expected. Dumb Pinoys hold onto any success they can, even if it's tainted.

Pacquiao wants special treatment for the Margarito fight. The fact that he won't simply agree to the governing agency's rules is hypocritical. He maintained that he will only fight Mayweather per the local rules. That is the Filipino two step at its best.

Assclown? Really, have you resorted to stealing a term used by ex-military now? You are truly desperate. LOL!
Sunset

United States

#16 Dec 9, 2012
I am always amused when everyone separates into camps on boxing. You can be a fan of the sport without pledging your exclusive allegiance to a single fighter. We all have favorites but don't go too far overboard. I have enjoyed watching both Floyd and Manny fight and they have both done some amazing things in the ring. If they never meet in the ring agianst one another they are still BOTH hall of fame level fighters with zero doubt.

There comes a time when retiring is simply the best thing to do and I have to say I think Manny is there today. This is not a sport where you can lose a step and gracefully coast into retirement - when you lose a step in boxing you can easily alter the rest of your life with a bad decision. Nobody likes to see a boxer in his later years that can't speak, move or enjoy their lives because they stayed in the game too long. When I look at Manny I see that he has lost a step - granted he is still better than 95% of boxers on the planet but he is not up to HIS full level of performance and that is dangerous for HIM. So far I haven't seen Floyd loose a step - he is still as razor sharp as he ever was. That doesn't mean he is better than Manny - the have each traveled different paths and suffered different damage along the way - Floyd still can get in there safely. I am worried Manny can't. Would he still be entertaining? You bet. Could he still on any given day beat any boxer in his weight class including Floyd? Yep. It only takes one shot - ask him how quickly it can happen. It is time for Manny to follow his other interests and step away before he gets permanently injured. It has been a great career and he is and will always be remembered as one of the best but it is time.

Freddie? I love him to death and he has a huge heart but he has lost many steps in the last few years. Again another hall of famer but it is time for him as well. He is a good man but it has become increasingly obvious aoross many channels that he is simply not helping his fighters at this point. He seems to follow his fighters rather than lead as of late.

These folks have given their all and have offered us all far more than we could have asked for if they had retired years ago. It is time to let them exit gracefully and move on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baguio, Philippines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Philippines' best-planned city? (Mar '14) Oct 7 Iglesia_Ni_Dinuguan 62
P22-M worth of 'ukay' products seized in Baguio Sep '14 theidiotsarealway... 1
June 2007 nursing board passers retake scandal-... (Jun '07) Jul '14 mememe 612
DepEd: Cordillera loses 10,226 students Jul '14 Sam 1
Philippines: A paradise for tourists (Jun '10) Jul '14 The Awakener 330
PH moves to ban trade in dog meat Jul '14 Joe 1
19 arrested in cybersex den raid in Pampanga (May '07) Jun '14 Whats wrong with ... 255

Baguio, Philippines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE