PNG school children linked to prostitution

Mar 17, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Australia Network

“In one of our surveys we found that girls who were still at school were doing what they were doing just to find school fees”

School children in Papua New Guinea are reportedly turning to prostitution and illicit drugs to raise funds to pay for school fees. via Australia Network

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
JONAH PILA WANE

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

I think Madang is a beautiful country and it reflects its beauty an pride. I believe the Head Line is just general statement which might not be tru.If it is so, then maybe by one or two school girls. This kind of Head Line should not be on the internet or newspapers or on the other means of Media because those foreigners will take adventage of this and they will force our young girls into Prostitution and on the other end there will bw a flux of illegal foreigners entering our country for the purpose of sex Trade.
I strongly air my views that if such a school girl is involved into prostitution, then I beg there schould introduce a thurfer Law or shoul the Government and other NGO shoul work around the clock to provide necessary information and councelling.
One way to minimise this is to introduce a new cariculum in the school about Sex and the purpose of it. Teach them about HIV/AIDS and much more.
JONAH PILA WANE

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

Hi, this is very dangerous! why can't we just do away with it and probanly introuduce some turf laws like capital punishments and all those laws.
This practise is like a bush fire, why not the Goverment look ito it hurry as soon as possible.
Wally medibur

Locsin, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2008

im so sad to see the news in the Post courier, simply because I for one believe that young girls are targeted for those illegal sexual activities. I kindly appeal to the government and the schools to look into that matter seriosuly. the earlier the intervention will be better to solve such social issues. It is a social issue,please parents, teachers and and government lets work together to help counter these illegal activities beforeits spreads like a bush fire in our society.
Gin

Norton Summit, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Hey,

Can someone give me address of a brothel in Port Moresby (PNG)??????

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Ples Lain

Canberra, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

this happens everywhere...except that in some countries, they have bigger things to report and so this sort of news dont get reported...however, let help our own families and be good fathers and mothers to our children and teach them to live life the right way...it reflects on what and how our parents brought us up to be...well so i think..
Maida NZ

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

Judged:

Oh my gosh! I'm very sad to hear that school girls are taking part in such act to raise money for school fees. I hope this is not true. I come from madang and love my country and it's people.
Thats very sad. I hope the families are going to sort this out.
Arthur Levi

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

Judged:

I believe the main problem lies with the nation heads, Papua New Guinea
is well bless with natural resources, major developments in mines etc...

And why is life so difficult especially the grassroots are fighting a life to
survive ... the same chicken a minister buys from a shop for his meal without a problem in price.. while the grassroots sits in the market whole
day to sell as much to afford that same chicken, and if that does not
adds up, parents have no other alternative to force prostitusion to survive

The question is: who are beneficiaries of the this nation ?
Skady -Oimops Rabaul

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2009

As a Melanesian, I took this on a different view point.I believe the head line is just a general statement which might be not a true picture. I had been living in this country for almost 19 years and did not encounter such thing to my fellow female collegue in the university. The poor guy who had this head line on yhe post must had post this desperately due to frustration of his own suffering,not as a true Melanesian. After all this is just a fake news article published with lack of research done.
Leif

Carleton Place, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

These girls seem to be very dedicated students! What will university be like? LOL...
Adrian A

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

oh my gosh! its so embarrassing. As a PNGian,I believe that the head line dosen't signify our PNG culture.This is a new thing for me to hear. I believe that women around PNG abide by their traditions and cultures. Its so distressing to wrest a western character into PNG. If its true, I urge the government to impose some treats of consequences to this act. A change cannot happen if those in power continue to bend the rules to their whims. Lets not forget our melanesian way.
caliph 6th - Jamaica

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

well thats life.Welcome to the real world PNG.Are you prpared for the worse.So called christain country....sad..
Thats what corrupt government brings...
Trupla marn

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

Firstly what is the true meaning of "wrong" or yeh what is "good"? Even Socrates couldent explain the meaning of this two words.

the guy gets his pleasure and the girl gets her money! Aint that perfact!!!! besides get over it what more can they do? Mama na papa no bin plan gut, na nao ol kamap pinis lo ples graun....

Why not the government esterblish brotels?

Just saying!!!!

If you are against this I know you are a lady, em stret oh!!

in life man search for three things,(SDA- sex, drug, alcohol)

na bai yu stopim?!
concerned citizen-dwu

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Ye watever, who ever that got this headline posted...did you check to makesure you got your facts right?? It's too general...I believe this is not true for every PNG school children. Maski lo painim samting lo toktok lo em! If you're a PNG'n then you should be ashamed of yourself!! What have you got to do about this for the good of your country??
Kurena

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Gin wrote:
Hey,
Can someone give me address of a brothel in Port Moresby (PNG)??????
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Cheers
Sure!! "Stupid Gin in Adelaide"
jux mahn-true Melanesian

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2011

I beleive the headline is untrue ....it's just an idea of a sick person who is trying to spoil the good name of PNG .This can't be happening and it will not happen.....
And for those who are practising this activity, you should be ashamed of yourself and not be part of our Melanesian Culture and Christian Society.

Since: Sep 10

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2011

I totlally see BULLSHIT written all over the head line! I beleive most of the people practising this stuff are just a bunch of lazy and sex addicted human beings. Don't tell me you ran out of ideas and end up with 'money for sex'??? Money is there but you can't see it because your intentions are definatly not that geniun and you are Lazy and thats facts...
Concern Citizen

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2011

Its said to say that, this country blessed abundantly by our good Lord yet we are still living in standards. The top liners are getting richer each day and the poor grassroots fighting for survival each day.

You say we are a christian country...!!

I say we are a corrupt country...!!

HIZU

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2012

Hey! PNG is a unique nation where its citizen are blessed with natural resources. We must pay tribute to our Melanesian life style of a thousand tribe. The hell responsibility lies upon the parents to cater for your offspring's welfare. Who is to be blame for? Papa na mama mas plan na karim long sapotim pikinini. Noken kapsaitim nating nating olsem of pis.
HIZU

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2012

Hey fellow PNGans,we are blessed with surplus natural resources and make use of these stuffs. Lets pay tribute to our Melanesian life style. Its the hell responsibility of the parents to their offsprings to cater for their needs. What are shame to the parents to populate the country with inadequate family planning. Save gut b4 u wokim.
Mum Walii

Papua New Guinea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

Oops! Or perhaps the jurno must have ran out of ideas or news to add on to their daily column and so, just added this BULSHIT news. It's often like that, we sometimes don't trust medias. They are second-hand sources of infos.

Tok aut Tok stret!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Madang, Papua New Guinea Discussions

Search the Madang, Papua New Guinea Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Gang robs, rapes 70-year-old woman (Jan '10) Jul '13 Zulo 17
Anti-China looting continues across PNG (May '09) Apr '13 John 13
Papua New Guinea charges 29 alleged cannibals (Jul '12) Jul '12 Magoo 3
A mature response to the rantings of an Australian (Jul '12) Jul '12 gobbledoc 14
Young girl beheaded 'in land dispute' (Jun '09) Jun '12 Martin - Auckland 10
Bad governance & politics & PNG's lost decade (Apr '12) Apr '12 Loozer 2
One Side of the World (Mar '12) Mar '12 Raymond Gasser 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••