Ten Things You Should Know About Pet ...

Ten Things You Should Know About Pet Snakes

There are 8 comments on the PetLvr.com story from Nov 26, 2006, titled Ten Things You Should Know About Pet Snakes. In it, PetLvr.com reports that:

If you are one of the legions of people who have acquired, or are about to obtain a new pet snake, then you are also about to have a rewarding experience.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PetLvr.com.

Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#1 Jan 9, 2007
I'm really terrified of snakes, my cat left me a baby guarder snake as a present one time. If I see a snake I run
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#3 Jan 9, 2007
Oh really? I'm also scared of cockroaches, or bees

“we are the knights who say ni”

Since: Feb 07

galveston, tx

#4 Feb 21, 2007
i love snakes.
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#5 Feb 22, 2007
yikes,I'll run if I see a snake
Toxic

Regina, Canada

#6 Jun 7, 2007
I love snakes im getting a pet guarder snake

Since: Sep 07

Beloit, WI

#7 Sep 13, 2007
I love snakes as well and have 3 corn snakes. They are almost 5.5 years. My son named them Patch, Spot and Snow. He wanted a dog so bad back then. He just started third grade when we got them @ 2.5 months old. If you want a snake start off with a corn snake. They are just so friendly!
NightLad

Toronto, Canada

#9 Dec 9, 2007
I agree, corn snakes are great starter snakes.

I realize that this is an older posting, so Toxic might already have his guarder snake. However, I'd like to mention that the guarder snake, although indigenous to Canada, are usually not the first snake people think of as pets. There are several reasons, but chiefly... they 'musk.' This means they produce a very bad smell, not to mention that their poop stinks to high heaven and is usually very runny.

Better snakes to have for pets are, as mentioned, the Corn Snake (which comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns!), and the Ball Python which only grows to 3-3.5ft for males, and 3.5-4.5 feet for females. They also come in many colors and patterns and have no venom and no teeth.

Research either of these snakes if you are interested in a good, well-established 'domesticated' pet snake.
NightLad

Toronto, Canada

#10 Dec 9, 2007
Sorry, Ball Pythons DO have teeth - I meant to say, no fangs. The are very gentle snakes and usually quite docile. They are so named because their only real natural defense is to curl up into a ball when scared and hide their head in the center.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should you buy your Child a Pet Snake? (Jan '10) Sep 3 Aiden 61
News South Dakota man gets $190 fine for snake witho... Apr '17 andet1987 15
Male and Female Albino Ball Python For Rehoming... (May '07) Feb '17 Matt 26
News Pet snake strangles toddler (Jul '09) Feb '17 Pharts Arise 99
News Snakes Alive! Missing pythons on the loose in n... (Sep '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 14
News Snakes, other reptiles, fill expo in Brentwood (Oct '15) Oct '15 sun sun 1
News John Martinez, Alligator Wrestler on Gator Boys... (Sep '13) Sep '15 Beachlifer 107
More from around the web