Kenja

AOL

#1 Jul 5, 2007
I am realy looking for help so I am placing this in many places.

Am I doing everything well so far? As I mentioned in another thread I had a garter snake, and a corn snake in the past. Now I just got a ball python. She's only 16 inches right now. Before I bought her I followed all of the "tests" to check for health. Now I have her for a pet. If anyone sees any problems in what I'm about to share please speak up.

1- I am keeping her in a 20 gallon tank, long
2- I have a hiding box on each side. Each box has a wide opening, plus a smaller opening that the snake has to brush against as she enters
3- Under one of the boxes I have a heating pad placed on the bottom,(not in the tank but underneth)
4- The light, it's a 45 watt lamp with a clasp, is placed on the other side of the tank. Oppisite the heating pad. It is partialy over the water bowl.
5- I have a bowl of water that is big enough for the snake to fit in entirerly, but not if she is fully stretched out. She has to curl up a bit.
6- I have a branch that lays low on the end with the heating pad, and goes up towards the light on the other end. It only goes up a bit higher than half way so the snake has no dirrect contact with the bulb.
7- I have been using aspen for the bedding.
8- I've been using the ten to twelve hour schudule for the light. During night times I do keep on a black light however.
9- I haven't fed her yet, so I have to ask. When feeding a snake pre killed food, in this case thawed out little pinky mice, do you have to move the mouse, or can you place it in the tank and the snake will eat it?
10- I do handle her for a short time every day.

Well, if I am making any mistakes in taking care of this ball python I'd be thankful for being told, as well as for any more advice as well as an answer to my dead mouse question. thanks
amber

United States

#2 Jul 21, 2007
how do you tell when your snake is ill
Robert

Sunnyvale, CA

#3 Aug 26, 2007
my snake died but i didnt know what was wrong
Till

Houston, TX

#4 Jan 3, 2009
Some form of black light can lead to blindness of reptiles. you need to get a thermometer and a hydrometer (humidity gauge)
check that both temperature and humidity are right and if not adjust accordingly
hope that helps
regards
Till

Houston, TX

#5 Jan 3, 2009
Sorry forgot to answer the mouse question. get a pair of tongs and try moving the mouse around in front of the snake. that should work.
remember to use tongs if you want to keep your hands

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Martinez, Alligator Wrestler on Gator Boys... (Sep '13) Aug '14 Lizzie 102
Should you buy your Child a Pet Snake? (Jan '10) Jul '14 Steve 37
Teen accused of using knife to slash tail of pe... (Aug '13) Nov '13 Justin 6
Fierce Snake/Indian taipan (Oct '13) Oct '13 Biology Student 1
Snake update: 8-foot boa still missing in Noble... (Sep '13) Sep '13 christofer moore 4
Pet Snake Ban Long Overdue (Feb '10) Sep '13 Former Herper 11
normal male ball python for sale w/e everything! (Jul '11) Jul '12 coplover 2
•••

Snakes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••