shay

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

I have had two male adolescent rats, Doyle and Dresden, for about two months. They are all kinds of skittish. If I sit perfectly still they will come climb and explore my legs, but if I move to touch them they freak out. They aren't aggressive, although maybe they will be if I ever actually get my hands on them. On the rare occasions where I have managed to pick them up, they do death dives just to get away from me. When I first got them, I admit I was pretty nervous and skittish around them. Could I have permanently damaged the relationship?? Help please!
beck

Geelong, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

some rats can be a bit nervous all their lives, however given time they should come around.

i've had nervous rats myself and i've just had to be patient with them.
rats are an extremely cautious animal to start off with,'natural wall-huggers'. i have 4 rats and they are all different in their personalities. one is very adventurous, while another hates to leave his cage.

make sure they see you as their friend, offer them little bits of food from your fingers when they are in their cage. also, and this is gonna sound stupid, get one out at a time, sit down, then put the rat under your t-shirt!
a lot of rats really like this. they feel safe coz its dark and they are under cover. also it gets them used to your smell too.
try this website.
http://www.ratclub.org/forum/
Cazzy Mo

Brighton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

I've got the same problem. I started with 2 males and when one died I replaced them with 2 rescue girls (my remaining boy is neutured). Not only do they not want to know me at all and run away from me even if I've got food for them, they bully my remaining boy and try to steal his bedding for their igloo (I've got 2 igloo's on the go and they choose to sleep seperately). Seems I have got myself a couple of pets who are nice to look at but that's it - I've tried SO hard too!!!:-(
Sarah

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

I just got 2girl ratties. Named Radely and Mildred. Mine hate me too. ): I'm so sad, when I go to take them out they run and hide from me under their wheel where i cant reach them. I try to offer them food and they wont take it and when i do finally get them out the freak out and run away from me and slip down between the wall and my bed. I feel your pain. idk what to do about it. ):

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pet Rats Discussions

Search the Pet Rats Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
my rat won't stop biting (Apr '07) Jun 24 pilgram 159
New Rat (Aug '11) Mar '14 Judy 2
curled tail in rats? (Oct '07) Feb '14 Elise Wagster 19
What is it?? Feb '14 Cordelia 1
Is my rat bleeding from the eyes during his bath? (Mar '09) Dec '13 maddy 17
My normally friendly rat has been biting me (Feb '09) Dec '13 Jess 45
Health Questions about pet rats (May '09) Dec '13 Linz 7
•••
•••