Pet rat I've had for about 2 and a ha...

Pet rat I've had for about 2 and a half weeks suddenly trying to bite

Posted in the Pet Rats Forum

Since: Aug 12

Spring, TX

#1 Aug 12, 2012
Okay, so I bought a male fancy rat from Petsmart about 2 1/2 weeks ago since they are usually good with taking care of their animals. The guy that sold him to me said that he would still get a little bigger since they had just gotten him. Everything has been fine and dandy since I've brought him home- he's enjoyed playing and running around, and he's also been very affectionate and loves to groom(licks and sometimes grazes his teeth) anyone who will let him. But a few days ago, it was almost as if he would go crazy when I wasn't around/ was sleeping and he would tear his cage apart by knocking everything in it over. Now he has gotten to where he gets unbelievably hyper when you let him out of the cage(I've got a little play pen that I can sit with him in)and he tries to bite your fingers if you put them up to him or through the cage. It's almost as if he's going through a bratty, hormonal stage. He hasn't bitten down on me yet but he sticks the whole tip of my finger in his mouth and starts to bite down and i pull away. I've never given him treats through the bars of the cage either. I'm also concerned about getting him a bigger cage as his is only 24x13 and I think he's just getting restless when I'm not around. Any other suggestions on what his deal is or what I should do?
Eva

Sedona, AZ

#2 Nov 22, 2012
Maybe he just needs a friend to keep him company when you are not around. This would help with some of the bent up energy...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pet Rats Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Am I freaking my rat out? Oct 18 Rumham 1
Rat help Oct 15 FinleyXX 1
urgent help Aug '17 OnlyNeedHelp 1
My normally friendly rat has been biting me (Feb '09) Jul '17 Anonymous 53
Is my rat sick? Jul '17 carec89 1
Is my female rat pregnant? May '17 Ratslove2014 1
Older rats (Mar '17) Mar '17 Kristy7085 1
More from around the web