County children get taste of farm life

There are 5 comments on the The Reporter story from Apr 23, 2009, titled County children get taste of farm life. In it, The Reporter reports that:

Kimberly Flores checks out an African Giant Millipede held by Antonio Dominguez.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

Since: Dec 08

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Apr 23, 2009
Were the students taught the value of Farm/Ranch land and that if we build too many buildings and parking lots we won't have enough farm/ranch land? Were they taught about providing bee/butterfly forage and how bugs are useful and for some crops a necessity? Did the subject of food security come up?

Sounds like they had a lot of fun and that this is a worthwhile project.
Phil

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Apr 23, 2009
Trouble with Dixon ag lands is that they are too close to the U.C. Davis genetically engineered experimental croplands for comfort. You should be afraid when the prevailing winds blow pollen in from the Davis area.

Really afraid!

http://tuberose.com/Graphics/GMfoods.jpg

It is economically cheaper to import our food from south of the border then it is to raise it here in the United States. Imported food may not be healthier food but cost effectiveness trumps safety in the private sector at all times.

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 Apr 23, 2009
Phil:
Go ahead and chew on your south of the border vegetables.
Hey if you are really interested in getting your fruit and vegetables for cheep you could dive for the stuff they toss out.
Phil

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Apr 23, 2009
You might be surprised at how much of our food is imported, especially from the Peoples Republic of China, Chile, Mexico, Brazil and Canada.

Now that a "country of origin" labeling law has been passed, you will soon see how much food you eat was raised elsewhere.

Here in the United States, especially the western states, the best crop seems to be housing developments as more and more farmers sell their land to developers. Only a matter of time when these businesses successfully lobby to have any open space or agricultural buffer zones removed and all that cropland and pastures you see in the I-80 corridor will be ripped out and replanted with exurbs and suburbs.

Your sentiments for the American farm is about as worthless as those for the American buggy whip industry.

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Apr 23, 2009
Phil,

I agree that if we do nothing the corridor will be filled with development.

I propose we do something. I suggest that we fight like hell and that we do it now and that we not stop until we have slowed, stopped or limited the growth allowing enough space to raise the food that we consume.

It is important that we have ag exports but not essential. It is essential that we be able to raise enough food for our nation in our nation. This is not to say that we will raise all of our food but we need to have the ability to do so.

Should we ever face another world war or a massive disaster people will then understand the importance of being able to provide for ones own self, family, town and nation.

We have seen time and time again oil being used as a tool against us. What do you think it would be like if the tool became food?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rabbits Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Own a rabbit? Help us mark awareness week May 13 New Perspective 1
News 41 bunnies need homes after fire (Mar '14) May 5 Michel 5
News Ukiah police and fire log: Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014 (Oct '14) Oct '14 Here Is One 1
News Vets' concerns over lonely and miserable rabbit... (Oct '14) Oct '14 god 1
go to youtube/rabbitbutchering if you want to see (Oct '14) Oct '14 god 1
write to the rabbit butchers on youtube (Sep '14) Sep '14 god 1
to all you smart asses who like rabbit stew (Jan '13) Jul '14 god 3
More from around the web