Two African serval cats found wanderi...

Two African serval cats found wandering in West Seattle

There are 8 comments on the Seattle Post-Intelligencer story from Jan 24, 2008, titled Two African serval cats found wandering in West Seattle. In it, Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that:

A serval is a wild cat native to Africa that can weigh up to 50 pounds. Sometimes they are illegally kept as exotic pets, and two of them apparently got away in the past month to wander around West Seattle. via Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

serval

Seattle, WA

#1 Feb 1, 2008
they are not illegal!
Justice

United States

#2 Feb 9, 2008
These cats are not illegal where I live. However, you must check your city and county codes. What a shame that they got away from their owner. These cats can and will become very attached to their person and will become very despondent if they could not be reunited. There has never been a case of serval attack on humans in the U.S. however, back ANY animal into a corner and watch out! You know, even house cats have claws and can inflict quite a bit of damage. Peoples hysteria is getting out of hand regarding the safe keeping of these wonderful animals. Just like pit bulls, there must be guidlines put in place to protect the animals, NOT the owners! Punish the crime not the animal. The escape was very unfortunate, however, where were the double door entrances into the home or the enclosure? makes one wonder.
serval

Seattle, WA

#3 Feb 9, 2008
You are right, they get attached to their primary owner a lot, I saw those servals they found. They are so sad, you can tell. First of all they are sad b/c they are kept captive, than they are probably sad b/c their owner is gone. But who knows how they were kept, one of them was pretty skinny...They should be kind of skinny though, you know like greyhounds.

“My Three Rabbits!!!!!”

Since: Jan 08

NZ RULES!!!

#4 Mar 15, 2008
I agree!

“My Three Rabbits!!!!!”

NZ RULES!!!

#5 Mar 15, 2008
It is NEVER the animals fault but the owners!!!!!
Every time!
Chris_Bostrom

Kent, WA

#6 Mar 16, 2008
Hi there,
A few weeks ago I went a dinner invitation with a few friends in Seattle. Upon arriving ,I heard a "gallumphing" of cat paws such as never been heard before.They have two Maine Coon cats and they are enormous. One was 35+ pounds and the other was over forty pounds.
I was informed that when the cats play in the living room, furniture actually gets tipped over. These kitties wer ever so gentle,but just HUGE
Regards, Chris

“My Three Rabbits!!!!!”

NZ RULES!!!

#7 Mar 16, 2008
WOW they huge
Angela

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Jul 4, 2008
WOW they huge

Your question is wrong! African Serval Cats are a small Wild Cat and They are tame and Friendly,, and Their alot like a Domestic House Cat!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rabbits Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
youtube (Mar '16) Mar '16 god 1
if you love rabbits go to youtube & enter meat ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 god 1
News Own a rabbit? Help us mark awareness week (May '15) Jul '15 god 2
News 41 bunnies need homes after fire (Mar '14) May '15 Michel 5
News Ukiah police and fire log: Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014 (Oct '14) Oct '14 Here Is One 1
News Vets' concerns over lonely and miserable rabbit... (Oct '14) Oct '14 god 1
go to youtube/rabbitbutchering if you want to see (Oct '14) Oct '14 god 1
More from around the web