Proposed horse slaughterhouse polariz...

Proposed horse slaughterhouse polarizes industry

There are 21 comments on the Daily-Jeff.com story from Jun 6, 2012, titled Proposed horse slaughterhouse polarizes industry. In it, Daily-Jeff.com reports that:

This Sept. 1, 2011 photo shows a wild mare with her foal at a water hole near Placitas, N.M. As horse rescue operations struggle to keep up with a growing number of neglected, abused and starving animals, some are advocating humane horse slaughter as a way to control an exploding equine population.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily-Jeff.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
More

Huntsville, AL

#2 Jun 7, 2012
Ike wrote:
likely a horses' azz misogynist and racist like yourself.
Diana

United States

#3 Jun 7, 2012
When you talk about horse slaughter remember that this is not just a disposal option for horses. We are talking about food production for human use. Most horse meat produced from American horses goes to the EU. They have very strict guidelines as to what horses qualify. By July 2013 their requirements for verification of eligibility will tighten up as the transition period to their new standard will have ended.

USDA is now passing horses across the border to Mexico and Canada for slaughter without vouching for the paperwork accompanying the horses. USDA will not vouch for the drug history claims in these papers, because they have no way to know if they are correct, and in fact realize that in most cases are fabricated.

Once horse slaughter is USDA inspected in this country, they will have to not only vouch for the claims, but put the USDA label on the product, and put the USDA food safety reputation at risk for any false claims made.

Meat animals are raised without access to many drugs that should be kept out of the food chain. Horses, who are not considered to be meat animals, have access to these drugs. Being competition and working animals, horses are often treated with drugs to relieve pain and keep them in top performance condition.

EU has a list of several common horse drugs that can never be used on a meat horse. USDA will have to certify that horse meat going to EU comes from horses that have never in their life had a dose of any of these common medications. We are not set up in this country to produce human food quality horse meat. Pet food companies have quit using horse meat due to the side effects these drugs can have on your pets.

Yes we need disposal options for horses no one can care for. NO feeding them to people is not the answer.
little georgie boy

Grand Junction, CO

#4 Jun 7, 2012
yum, horse chops, my favorite! Uncle Dickie likes them too!

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#5 Jun 7, 2012
little georgie boy wrote:
yum, horse chops, my favorite! Uncle Dickie likes them too!
I'm partial to jerky myself<G>.
Bedrock Bob

United States

#6 Jun 7, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm partial to jerky myself<G>.
I bet you are dreaming of a Corn Dog stuffed full of a big ol horsemeat weenie!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#7 Jun 7, 2012
Bedrock Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you are dreaming of a Corn Dog stuffed full of a big ol horsemeat weenie!
That was quite enlightening. Any other pearls of brilliance you care to share?
Bedrock Bob

Cotopaxi, CO

#8 Jun 7, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
That was quite enlightening. Any other pearls of brilliance you care to share?
Yes I suppose there is.

If you took the big fat horsemeat wiener out of a Corn Dog, all that would be left is a greasy, fried sheath for a wiener.

And a stick.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#9 Jun 7, 2012
Bedrock Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I suppose there is.
If you took the big fat horsemeat wiener out of a Corn Dog, all that would be left is a greasy, fried sheath for a wiener.
And a stick.
Lol, that was good Bobby, quite enlightening. Please share more of your profound inspirations with us. You are sooooo clever.
Bedrock Bob

United States

#11 Jun 7, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, that was good Bobby, quite enlightening. Please share more of your profound inspirations with us. You are sooooo clever.
Thanks Dog! You are pretty clever yourself sometimes. That little thing you do with the chocolate cake always impressed me. That took some wit! And the repetition of slogans without any discussion of the idiotic logic behind them just never gets old. I am really missing the pages of spelled out sounds made from your tin foil hat too. Those are the things that I identify with my favorite deep fried carnival snack!

You are truly a genius Corn Dog! I salute you!

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Since: Jun 09

Elk Grove

#12 Jun 7, 2012
Ummm...is dog on the menu?

Oh darn...that was the Obama Ate A Dog thread...

Wonder if he likes horses?

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#13 Jun 7, 2012
Bedrock Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Dog! You are pretty clever yourself sometimes. That little thing you do with the chocolate cake always impressed me. That took some wit! And the repetition of slogans without any discussion of the idiotic logic behind them just never gets old. I am really missing the pages of spelled out sounds made from your tin foil hat too. Those are the things that I identify with my favorite deep fried carnival snack!
You are truly a genius Corn Dog! I salute you!
Why thank you, lol, I know how much you enjoy the chocolate cake rhyme<G>.

The discussions took place earlier in the threads but some were hard pressed to fathom their meaning so the repetitive method works well to get the basic point across to those less astute than we<G>.

As for the tin foil hat, the sounds are what the wearer hears in their head, mainly the putz from Santa Fe, the putz from Los Alamos and their putz cousin from Las Cruces. All three suffer from cranial rectal insertion and cheap Chinese made tin foil hats, hence their skewed and mottled reception. Can you imagine them not wanting TFH's made in the USA? How unAmercian is that?

Now back on topic, I truly don't see this going anyplace as the public simply is not ready to accept dining upon caballo's. They are thought of as pets, not snacks, unlike cows, cattle, sheep and goats for example. I do find that rather amusing though given the array of what many of the old timers in NM have eaten in their younger days, and many still do.
Bedrock Bob

Cotopaxi, CO

#14 Jun 7, 2012
"Now back on topic, I truly don't see this going anyplace as the public simply is not ready to accept dining upon caballo's. They are thought of as pets, not snacks, unlike cows, cattle, sheep and goats for example. I do find that rather amusing though given the array of what many of the old timers in NM have eaten in their younger days, and many still do."

Well put. I could not agree more. It is repulsive in the west to eat horse. Just like a dog. We have plenty of societal norms that are tough to go against and I think this is certainly one of the biggest.

Let the French supply the world's horsemeat and if anyone in New Mexico needs a big juicy horseburger they can pay to have it imported. Otherwise they eat beef raised from a fellow who knows horses probably better than he does people.
Bedrock Bob

United States

#15 Jun 7, 2012
Pedo I like the lengua and cabeza tacos. Barbacoa, tripa and holiday tamales with that blood mole, red chile and chocolate!

All that is plenty lip smacking good. But if I thought I had eaten horse I think I would toss it up just as if I had realized I had eaten people meat.

And I could BBQ a person and enjoy it WAY before I could eat a dog. I think I would starve to death or let the dog eat me. I just know I would burn in white man's hell for eating man's best buddy.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#16 Jun 8, 2012
Bedrock Bob wrote:
"Now back on topic, I truly don't see this going anyplace as the public simply is not ready to accept dining upon caballo's. They are thought of as pets, not snacks, unlike cows, cattle, sheep and goats for example. I do find that rather amusing though given the array of what many of the old timers in NM have eaten in their younger days, and many still do."
Well put. I could not agree more. It is repulsive in the west to eat horse. Just like a dog. We have plenty of societal norms that are tough to go against and I think this is certainly one of the biggest.
Let the French supply the world's horsemeat and if anyone in New Mexico needs a big juicy horseburger they can pay to have it imported. Otherwise they eat beef raised from a fellow who knows horses probably better than he does people.
Works for me!
Lisa

Pineville, AR

#17 Jun 12, 2012
Yum
PAUL SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#18 Jun 13, 2012
..is dHis ''really'' about the slauhgter of...Wild Horses,here....''BLM''..eh..?? ...
bungholeio

Grand Junction, CO

#19 Jun 13, 2012
Wild horses, couldnt drag me away! Unless theres A1.
paul shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#20 Jun 15, 2012
...IS The...BLM..behind this,here??...eh..
IMALWAYSRIGHT

United States

#21 Jun 16, 2012
A continuation of how cruel and inhumane we treat animals. Horses to Hogs. Not only are horses subject to being slaughtered for meat. They are subject to live their lives performing in rodeos, racing, and pulling carriages.
Raydot

California City, CA

#22 Jun 16, 2012
Horses have been running wild and free for seven hundred years in the United States. Are you sure they are starving? I think anyone that dumps their horse in the desert should be executed. I think people that eat dogs, cats, and horses are third world scum and are only looking to make a big buck so cattle ranchers will have NO competition from wild horses. Horses arn't the problem. People are!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Horse Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 81 Horses Move Forward After Final Horse Inspec... Nov '16 Bill 1
News Wilson sisters tame wild horses (Oct '16) Oct '16 BONDI INDABAG 1
News The Gift of Midas gives back to equine genetic ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 2
News 'Canadian Million' Races Set for Woodbine (Aug '16) Aug '16 Goody 1
News Petition to ban rodeos in NZ received at Parlia... (Mar '16) Mar '16 USA R0CKS 9
News Clydesdales meet their adoring public (Dec '15) Dec '15 Thousands Ride 1
News Deadline fast approaching for Christmas parade (Nov '15) Nov '15 Downtown Tupelo 17
More from around the web