Break out of the mold with cheap, easy pets

There are 13 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Nov 5, 2007, titled Break out of the mold with cheap, easy pets. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Yes, cats and dogs can add warmth, love and companionship to a home. But they can also add dirt, hairy tumbleweeds, a pile of vet bills, fleas and allergic reactions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
BirdyBuddy

United States

#141 Nov 19, 2007
WTH are you talking about??? Birds need yearly vet checkups, too, and an avian vet costs 2-3 times as much as the regular veterinarian. Good bird food is expensive, they require lots of toys, and an adequate cage for a parrot costs $300-$1500!

Furthermore, parrots are NOT easy to care for, which is why a quick search online for adoptable parrots will yield hundreds who are plucked, miserable biters in need of a a second, third, or fourth home.

Don't encourage people to purchase "disposable" pets. How cruel and irresponsible!
MMC

Reno, NV

#142 Nov 22, 2007
What kind of parakeet? Scientifically speaking, a parakeet is any small species of parrot with a long tapering tail... there's quakers, conures, ringnecks, budgies, cockatiels, rosellas...
Most cages sold for "keets" that are under $100 are crap... less you enjoy living in your own closet!
Since when did a good quality large parrot cage cost under $300? And a proper cage under $600?(not including used)
Pet birds, depending on species and health, live anywhere from 6 months (bad health/genes - any species) to 60+ years (larger species, good health). Budgies live 6-20 years, conures 15-30 years, greys/amazons/toos/macaws 40-60+ years.
Teflon is dangerous to humans. Anything dangerous to birds may also be dangerous to humans. Birds can be sick just has much as humans or other species of animals.
Birds need to see a vet just as much as a cat or dog... okay so we can't spay or neuter our beloved feathered friend, but there are some vaccinations that birds can get to prevent diseases.
This can be said of any pet. Heck, I know someone who had a canary die short of his 20th birthday!
Animals are so underrated.... Sorry but most people don't know how to properly care for animals, and when they receive bad information, and they are willing to follow it, their pets tend to live for only a short time. Everyone should do indepth research before bringing a pet into their household. If they can't even do that, then they ought to buy a stuffed toy instead.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#143 Nov 22, 2007
I'm gonna have to remove this thread from my list...
native

Asheville, NC

#144 Nov 23, 2007
I love rabbits....they fit perfect in a crockpot
Yippee

United States

#145 Nov 26, 2007
WNCNATIVE wrote:
I'm gonna have to remove this thread from my list...
Cool. Then people won't have to skip past your snotty, inane comments.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#146 Nov 28, 2007
Yippee wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool. Then people won't have to skip past your snotty, inane comments.
Lol...okidokie. So....what. No outrage? No despair over the attrocities committed by the author of this article? I'm just shocked that there have been 2 or 3 comments in a row without someone going on about how expensive birds are and how they are a lifetime committment. Everyone knows it. There is NO need for several hundred comments saying it over and over.
Charlotte

UK

#147 Nov 30, 2007
To be honest I simply agree with what others have said. This article is VERY in accurate and I am shocked to see it on any "times". It's a disgrace that people think these pets are cheap and easy. They most certainly are NOT.

Lizards such as Bearded Dragons SHOULD NOT BE ON SAND, IT CAN CAUSE IMPACTION & THEY MIGHT EAT IT.

Guinea pigs good for small children are you kidding me? There so fragile, and get sick very easily and being classes as an exotic animal they are expensive to look after!

What a stupid article.
Melissa

Winnipeg, Canada

#148 Dec 5, 2007
I've owned parrots for the least 10 years. I'm a member of the Parrot Club of Manitoba, and a regular volunteer for the Avian Welfare Coalition, Inc. I've also been the avian consultant for six different pet stores, as well as the Humane Society. Let me tell you about how accurate this article is...
What a load of rubbish. Let me paint the real picture of parrots as pets.
Letís add up the attributes of parrots for the average "easy-care pet buyer", shall we?
- Expensive to buy
- Messy.
- Aggressive.
- Needs daily interaction, numbering in the HOURS
- Specialized, expensive diet
- More intelligent then your average Citizen-Times Correspondent
- Destructive
- Needs roomy, expensive cage
- Needs monthly grooming (trim nails, wings)
-Demanding
-LOUD
Does this sound like an "easy care pet"?
I didn't think so.
I'd like this corresondant to offer another, not informed article on the true aspects of parrot care, to retract his claim that they are "Easy care pets" and try to fix the damage he's done by describing what it's really like to own a parrot- even a budgie.
If he wants, he can borrow one of mine, just so he can have some first-hand experience. He might want to bring his wallet, a pair of heavy work gloves, and some ear protection.
Queen Bee of Asbury Road

United States

#149 Dec 5, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about your chinchilla. Story for you.
I was leaving the vets office one day with one of my canine babies. A girl (one of very few people) that I strongly detest was walking in as I was leaving carrying her bird in. She remarked, nice dog.(In reality, my dog had every tooth in his head showing, as if to prove what an excellent judge of character he is). I remarked...what a pretty bird for such a vile owner. She obviously didnt hear what I said and thanked me. The twit.:(
Of course I don't know of whom you speak, but a "girl" I know and can hardly stand to even look at owns a bird. If this was the same person, way to go.
Queen Bee of Asbury Road

United States

#150 Dec 5, 2007
Jessie wrote:
First of all budgies need a lot of care. They are probably the birds that need to go to the vets the most because they're large disease carriers. You shouldn't be promoting a "cheap, easy pet" their not cars they're living creatures who deserves care and devoting.. Your also promoting small cages. A budgie needs room to fly and play or else it can become sad, and depressed. It sickens me that your trying to sell these birds like pencils, and any breeder that thinks of birds this way is a disgusting person!
I had a budgie that lived nearly 15 years, nearly unheard of in the budgie world I hear. She outlived three mates and started laying eggs when she was eleven. She never sat on them but I learned that in order to get her to stop laying the eggs and thus deleting calcium from her little body, I had to leave them in the cage.
coolcat

United States

#151 Dec 10, 2007
I started out with a betta and i have now had him for 3 years. Petsmart suplies everything I need to keep him happy and heathy.
BIRD LOVER

Anderson, IN

#152 Feb 1, 2010
YOUR WORKING FOR A CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTER WHO RUNS HEATHIPET.NET TIM LACY CHECK THE SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY FOR MADISON COUNTY INDIANA.ONLY OUT FOR MONEY. NOT AS SMART AS YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE.
PoCkEtS OwNeR

Nottingham, UK

#153 Oct 16, 2010
i have a greyhound called pocket and she is the most adoreablr thing youve ever seen!! theres jut 1 catch she is big aswell so she can push people over especially little kids, what should i do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guinea Pigs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dont buy guinea pigs from petsmart!!!!!!! (Dec '08) 14 hr Peace love animals 409
News Creature Feature: Who wants a cuddle buddy? Apr 7 mite need 1 1
News Guinea pig's lice can't spread to pet owners Mar '15 kadiebaby24 2
News Winnipeg has plenty of pet-friendly options Nov '14 DOG SLAVES 3
News Allergies: For love of pets, and their owners (Mar '14) Sep '14 Jack 3
News Authorities seize man's 632 'pets' (Aug '14) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Woman Investigates Strange Noises in Her House,... (May '14) May '14 Naughtyrobot 18
More from around the web