African Cichlids (fresh water agressi...

African Cichlids (fresh water agressive Fish) help.

Posted in the Fish Forum

ward

Berlin, MA

#1 Feb 23, 2008
I am a fish owner, and currently own 9 African Cichlids, and two Chinese algae eaters (long brown). for cichlids i own two jewels, one venustus (camo color), one electric yellow, one Brichardi (tan with cool fins), one bumble-bee, and three different fish that i forget the names of (i will get back to their names later). i have two fishtanks, one 10-gallon, and one 55-gallon. i set up the 55-gallon 6 days ago, which holds all fish except a jewel and the algae eaters. this is for a few reasons, one is that i know that when starting a tank you have to establish a cycle, and i am already starting the 55 with allot of fish.(i am aware of the danger of rising ammonia) however the jewels fight in the small ten gal, the algae is only in the ten gal, and i can cycle the 55 gal with less fish but it will take longer. note: i originally owned all fish except the jewels and an algae eater in a ten gal. and a six gal.,I gave away,. i just could not resist buying the jewels for $1.50 ea. i also own test kits, stress Zyme, aquarium salt, ick treater, all accessories, brine shrimp food, tetra min, blood worms, gravel vac's, a huge hollow rock in the 55 gal., and fake plants in both.(the 55 gal. has an under gravel filter). yes i have a filter for the ten gal. plenty of rocks for both tanks, about a lb of rocks per gal. like i explained earlier i am havening rising ammonia in the 55 gal.(witch is normal) tomorrow i will do a ten percent water change. i had ammonia problems in my six gal. before and all fish lived through .02 ppm of toxic ammonia but i am curious how tough are the fish?, when should i move fish to ten gal.?, should i use stuff to lower ammonia?, will lowering the ammonia ruin the cycle, causing the tank to take longer to establish? please add comments, tell about your tanks, or even ask Questions. i am checking comments often.
ward

Berlin, MA

#2 Feb 23, 2008
in the 55 gal. the fish look fine and act normal but the ammonia level is currently at .0135 ppm of toxic ammonia and i am not sure what to do, if anything. i could use some advice from another fish expert.

ppm, is parts per million.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DNR: Don't release pet fish into Michigan lakes (Aug '16) Aug '16 BarbaraMcDowell5439 1
News Man commits robbery to feed pet fish (Jan '09) Apr '16 Zom13 13
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white (Oct '15) Oct '15 7859hkfl 1
what type of fish do you want (Nov '11) Mar '14 Ryan 3
How to cycle a freshwater aquarium. (Oct '10) Mar '14 Ryan 2
News Vet says pets are what they eat (Apr '07) Mar '14 Ryan 20
News Classroom Pets (Sep '10) Jan '14 Dnarg Lort 38
More from around the web