Our priceless pets

May 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Mercury

It's a question that plagues many Tasmanian pet owners, with Hobart vets revealing that some have spent as much as $13,000 to keep a pet alive.

Comments
1 - 20 of 135 Comments Last updated May 31, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Nov 10

Southern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

CATS! Thats the answer. Like dogs but cats make best pet. Lets see if I am on topic here? Ummm. Maybe not. Who cares! CATS CATS CATS.

Since: Apr 11

Roma, QLD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Mr Humbert wrote:
CATS! Thats the answer. Like dogs but cats make best pet. Lets see if I am on topic here? Ummm. Maybe not. Who cares! CATS CATS CATS.
Got both, love both, 2 German Shepherds very inquisitive and intelligent love playing and going for runs, our cuts good for a sit and a pat.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

At least we spend money keeping an animal happy to keep us happy.

Better than dole bludgers.
Johnny

Canberra, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Caterpillars!

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Pets make a house a home - kind people will go to many lengths to care for their pets - I wouldn't be without my beautiful cat. The companionship they provide is priceless.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

sairla wrote:
Pets make a house a home - kind people will go to many lengths to care for their pets - I wouldn't be without my beautiful cat. The companionship they provide is priceless.
It's really strange Sairla, but every single female over 40 I know (and I mean everyone) has a cat or two!
Elias

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

sairla wrote:
Cats are graceful and I find them very intriguing, the way they can lick their groin with one leg pointing towards the sky. Amazing creatures.
Peter

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

Are you jealous?
Johnny

Canberra, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Peter wrote:
Are you jealous?
Yes. Yes I am.
Elias

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

Peter wrote:
Are you jealous?
Yes, I've tried to lick my groin but with only marginal success.
Johnny

Canberra, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I've tried to lick my groin but with only marginal success.
Just get someone else to do it...

Preferably of the opposite sex :-)
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Just get someone else to do it...
Preferably of the opposite sex :-)
Armidale (fake) Elias probably does it to himself.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really strange Sairla, but every single female over 40 I know (and I mean everyone) has a cat or two!
I think that maybe we relate well to cats - they are independent thinkers and though they can be very affectionate, they choose to whom they demonstrate that affection and they are never self-compromising in order to receive approval. They are not extremely 'needy', so we can leave for work knowing they are happy in their own company, curled up on their favourite chair or bed. In addition they are very fastidious, so for a woman, they are ideal as they don't create mess in our tidy homes:)
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that maybe we relate well to cats - they are independent thinkers and though they can be very affectionate, they choose to whom they demonstrate that affection and they are never self-compromising in order to receive approval. They are not extremely 'needy', so we can leave for work knowing they are happy in their own company, curled up on their favourite chair or bed. In addition they are very fastidious, so for a woman, they are ideal as they don't create mess in our tidy homes:)
You make a good case for cats, alas I am allergic to their hair :(

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good case for cats, alas I am allergic to their hair :(
There are several breeds which are fine for those with allergies - the Javanese cat is one example - cats seem to like male owners, they see them as,(much as I am reluctant to use the term due to its rather coveted quality on Topix)- alpha; they are just the best companions Elias.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several breeds which are fine for those with allergies - the Javanese cat is one example - cats seem to like male owners, they see them as,(much as I am reluctant to use the term due to its rather coveted quality on Topix)- alpha; they are just the best companions Elias.
Is that a hairless breed?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that a hairless breed?
No, actually genetically a long hair but in fact the hair is quite short but I think they lack an undercoat which triggers allergies - they are quite beautiful and very playful. There are other breeds as well, there is a hairless breed but I think they are an 'acquired' taste - the others recommended for those with allergies are normally coated.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually genetically a long hair but in fact the hair is quite short but I think they lack an undercoat which triggers allergies - they are quite beautiful and very playful. There are other breeds as well, there is a hairless breed but I think they are an 'acquired' taste - the others recommended for those with allergies are normally coated.
Hmmm won't work, the long hair will shed on the carpet and rug.
Elias

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>No, actually genetically a long hair but in fact the hair is quite short but I think they lack an undercoat which triggers allergies - they are quite beautiful and very playful. There are other breeds as well, there is a hairless breed but I think they are an 'acquired' taste - the others recommended for those with allergies are normally coated.
Cats are majestic and graceful, I'm allergic but otherwise attracted to them.

“Tea Queen”

Since: Nov 11

Queensland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

I love cats as well as other animals. I know a man who is probably around 40 that has a bunch in home and yard. Maybe he was a middle aged woman in his past life. As for me, I'd like to one day own more than one and then maybe a dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ferrets Discussions

Search the Ferrets Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
four week ferrets for free (Aug '12) Mar '14 Hannah 25
The Corbet's Pets store mascot named Puggy sits... (Sep '07) Feb '14 Chester 30
Erie County plans rabies vaccine clinic (Jan '14) Jan '14 wow 2
Free Boxer and/or 2 Ferrets (Nov '06) Nov '13 Miranda allen 124
Meet Yoshi - the pet ferret with a $5000 spine (May '12) Nov '13 Miranda allen 2
lost ferret, higher broughton, salford (Sep '13) Sep '13 pinkpill 2
Rabid fox caught near Castlewood (Aug '13) Aug '13 chaco 19
•••
•••