time to ban killer pit bulls

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#1402 Jul 26, 2011
violetkisses79 wrote:
Basing opinions on a dog through breed books, the media, and the few dogs of that breed you have met is kinda silly.
Just because that breed book says how intelligent that breed is doesn't mean that next dog you run into of that specific breed is going to be all that intelligent. Genetics are genetics. And people breed dogs they shouldn't breed all the time.
Get out and spend some time with these breeds. Get to know them yourself. Don't let the media and books do it for you.
I never in my life thought I would ever have a pit bull. Over 4 yrs ago I decided to take one in. And NOW I love working with them and I will always have a pit bull in my life. I've worked with pit bull shelters, rescue groups, fosters, and organizations dedicated to this breed and teaching people to responsibly take care of them. I've meet HUNDREDS of fantastic pit bulls that people hate based on an article they read or a news story they saw. And yea, we have changed people's minds about this breed and we will continue to do so. Just hope some of you on here will one day go out and meet them and give them a chance, too. If not...that's your loss
My experience with German Shepherds is consistent with what is generally said about them. While they are good watch dogs when no one is home, they will also welcome visitors who are perceived as welcome guests (and their perception is usually very astute). I had two experiences with direct APBT contact. One was positive and the other negative.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1403 Jul 26, 2011
violetkisses79 wrote:
I recently had a client come in wanting to put her GSD down because it killed her cat...Our doctor refused because he believes that is a breed that is not good with small animals or cats and the owner should have known better.
Personally, I think this depends on the individual dog. If someone has a dog and brings another animal into the situation before knowing how their dog is going to react that is VERY irresponsible on their part. I rescued my pit with the knowledge she is ok with cats and other animals. She adjusted very well and had no problem at all with my rabbit or my cats. No instinct to chase them or play rough.
HOWEVER, if I'm not around or she doesn't have adult supervision this could change. So everyone is separated when no one is home. She has free roam of the living room, dining area, and hall ways. Mainly, she just sleeps on the couch and waits for us. My cats have their own room which doubles as an office, but they have cat condos, toys, food, water, plenty of shelving for them to climb, a window shelf to sun on, and they have their own bathroom with a litter box, etc. And even though they have ALL these things, my computer monitor seems to be the place they want to sleep on and wave their tail in front of while I work...lol. My rabbits hutch is in another room. And my chihuahua has his own play pen that folds down when not in use in the master bedroom.
Actually, I'm probably more afraid of what my chihuahua would do when left unattended...he's the mischievous one...
I'm just a firm believer in not leaving dogs unattended w/ other dogs or children. I have known of two chihuahuas left alone together and they got into such a bad fight that one was killed. It can happen with any breed of dog.
My experience with GSDs is that while they do not particularly like cats, they will generally tolerate them as part of the family as long as the cat does not act with hostility to the dog and will usually opt for a snarl or a nonlethal nip if the cat scratches the dog or gets too near its food as a warning. Most dogs of any breed I have had experience with have tended to act in a manner consistent with their reputation with a few rare exceptions.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1404 Jul 26, 2011
Some pittbulls are really nice dogs and great pets. Check this one :

“BSL is BS!”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1405 Jul 26, 2011
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>There always are exceptions to the rule. The APBY that went after my dog chased a cat up the tree shortly before it starting biting my dog. The dog backed off when I stood up to it. APBTs are given negative ratings by most web sites as being able to get along with other animals is concerned. They have obviously had more experience and knowledge than you on the subject.
Ratings from website? Really, come on now...

I can make a website say anything...

Get out from the books and websites...

And again. GSDs...no better than APBT at anything...except being a guard dog...

“BSL is BS!”

Location hidden

#1406 Jul 26, 2011
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>My experience with GSDs is that while they do not particularly like cats, they will generally tolerate them as part of the family as long as the cat does not act with hostility to the dog and will usually opt for a snarl or a nonlethal nip if the cat scratches the dog or gets too near its food as a warning. Most dogs of any breed I have had experience with have tended to act in a manner consistent with their reputation with a few rare exceptions.
You have two experineces w/ ABPTs and some website ratings? Oh yes, you are so educated on this breed. Especially after reading websites.

The only thing you have is what you have read and a few experiences...I've worked with APBTs and several other breeds hands on. And not just a few. I have been a part of The Pit Bull Awareness Coalition, I've volunteered at many Pit Bull Awareness events, I have fostered several Pit Bulls that live in houses with responsible people who have children and other animals, I have worked at shelters dedicated to this breed, I have an APBT, the previous Veterinarian I worked for had two, the head vet tech had two, I've been to meet ups with 200 plus APBTs present and no fights broke out and no human or dog was bitten ...but yeah your websites with "ratings" know more...lol...

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when it comes to this breed...just what you have read and the TWO APBT experiences you have had...but yeah you are SO much more educated on the topic than I...

Seriously, talk to me when you know what you are talking about...

And as for GSDs snarling or showing a warning when a cat gets near their food or swats at them...that is laughable. I think GSDs are fantastic dogs, too but in my actual real life experience...they do far more than warn a cat...

“BSL is BS!”

Location hidden

#1407 Jul 26, 2011
For those of you who have pit bulls or are looking to experience and learn more about this breed and are in or around Austin, TX I urge you to take the opportunity to come join us on Nov 6th for The Texas-Sized Pittie Pride Parade & Festival
in support of National Pit Bull Awareness Day. Last year over 1,000 dogs attended...majority of them were pit bulls. Even if you dont have dog you can come and enjoy everyone elses, eat, play games, enjoy some music and show your support. You can also come out and meet The Pit Crew, the first all pit bull therapy group. I will be there w/ my husband and pit bull! For more info visit: www.love-a-bull.org

In October Virginia Beach, VA also has a pit bull awareness day, however it hasnt been set, but I will post info as soon as I find out. I will be flying in to visit friends and family and to show my support!

Thanx!

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1408 Jul 29, 2011
violetkisses79 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are in denial about the fact that APBT's have been implicated in numbers disproportionate to their own share of the dog population and continue to offer nothing but excuses disguised as posts of substance. Being a landlord, I know first hand that I would have my property insurance cancelled if I allowed a tenant to keep a pit bull. There has also been a recent trend toward insurance companies allowing coverage of homes with a German Shepherd present as the deterrence of home invasion crimes appears to outweigh the losses due to German Shepherd attacks (which are considerably lower than that of APBTs).

If your APBT is gentle and loving, I am happy for you. Not all pit bulls are that sweet and loving. I will still take a German Shepherd or similar breed any day over a Pit Bull. Besides which, comparing a Pit Bull to a German Shepherd is like comparing Rosanne Barr to Jessica Simpson.
PitsAreAngels

West Jordan, UT

#1409 Aug 12, 2011
dave wrote:
lets ban these KILLERS before they maul more of our Children..they are good for nothing except mauling people and kids...david
Wow. Wow. I can't beleave you hate these wonderful breeds just because of their reputation. THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, JUST BAD PEOPLE. These dogs are actually (look it up) great with children and people, just not with other dogs. I understand that those pits are out oif control but thats ONLY because they need TONS of excersize and obedience training EVERY DAY and those dogs were forced to kill its own kind and if it didnt it WAS SHOT, BLED TO DEATH AND BURIED. Dont blame the dog, blame the owners. A dogs a dog, and thats just its nature. Dogs are like kids, and they need entertainment, excersize, affection, and most importantly they need to LEARN. just like every other animal. Teach the dog, don't put it down just because its a Pit bull and your afraid of it. hAVE SOME BALLS You are the human and you decide what it does and where does it. Its only doing what its supposed to do. ITS BEING A DOG!!!!!!!!

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1411 Aug 12, 2011
PitsAreAngels wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one in denial. BLAME THE OWNERS NOT THE DOG YOU BASTERD! Have some balls and quit being afraid of the poor creatures, they should be the ones afraid of there own shados, NOT YOU. Ive seen a bigger d*ck on a mouse then you, Mr. so called Landlord.
Do we have to wash your little potty mouth out with soap? When people call others illigitimate children, They bring themselves down further than they do the one being attacked. The rest of you gutter comments I will not dignify with a response.. You show what a gutter mind you have to start out with.

I am not afraid of pit bulls who indicate that they want to be friendly and I am experienced at reading dog expressions. as a matter of fact, I once gave an apparently dumped APBT who approached me affectionately a slice of meat off my sandwich because he looked hungry. So much for your asinine accusations.

BTW, my dog who weighed about 55 pounds was attacked one by a pit bull who just chased a cat up a tree. The pit bull backed down after I sternly stood up to it. Fortunately, my dog was not badly hurt as her thick fur provided a measure of protection from the bites, but the next time I walked her passed that house, she was reluctant to walk past the house.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1412 Aug 12, 2011
violetkisses79 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are APBT's not being used more in the military and police work?. Remember that not all military and police uses of dogs are for confronting criminals, enimies, or guarding. Could it be that German Shepherds are much more trainable, intelligent, and talented than APBTs? Am I supposed to take your word consisting of emotional rants over ALL of the websites that deal with dog breeds in an objective manner? How much sense does that make?

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1413 Aug 12, 2011
violetkisses79 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have two experineces w/ ABPTs and some website ratings? Oh yes, you are so educated on this breed. Especially after reading websites.
The only thing you have is what you have read and a few experiences...I've worked with APBTs and several other breeds hands on. And not just a few. I have been a part of The Pit Bull Awareness Coalition, I've volunteered at many Pit Bull Awareness events, I have fostered several Pit Bulls that live in houses with responsible people who have children and other animals, I have worked at shelters dedicated to this breed, I have an APBT, the previous Veterinarian I worked for had two, the head vet tech had two, I've been to meet ups with 200 plus APBTs present and no fights broke out and no human or dog was bitten ...but yeah your websites with "ratings" know more...lol...
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when it comes to this breed...just what you have read and the TWO APBT experiences you have had...but yeah you are SO much more educated on the topic than I...
Seriously, talk to me when you know what you are talking about...
And as for GSDs snarling or showing a warning when a cat gets near their food or swats at them...that is laughable. I think GSDs are fantastic dogs, too but in my actual real life experience...they do far more than warn a cat...
Your putdown of German Shepherds is an indication that you know very little about them and you perceive "truth" through your own biased eyes. You want me to disbelieve everything that years of experience have taught others about dog breeds.

“BSL is BS!”

Location hidden

#1414 Aug 14, 2011
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Your putdown of German Shepherds is an indication that you know very little about them and you perceive "truth" through your own biased eyes. You want me to disbelieve everything that years of experience have taught others about dog breeds.
Yeah, I'm the biased one..

Holy crap, do you have a job? volunteer? go to school? have a life maybe? I do...Geezus, I haven't been on here in sometime and I logon and see I have all too many posts from you...

As far as you liking GSDs more than APBTs, that is YOUR life. I don't dislike them at all. I love all dogs. I see something in APBTs you don't. Sorry, YOU don't like that, but it's not going to change. Just like I'm not going to change your mind about APBTs.

And statistics can read whatever anyone wants them to read. Include bite stats. Take a stats class you would know how that works.

You've been around two pit bulls for the most part. I've been around HUNDREDS. I take a lot of my experience from being around them and not just from websites and books. I like to venture outdoors and experience things for myself...you should try it.

APBT are used for many services. Including service dogs for the handicapped, therapy dogs, rescue dogs, sniffing out drugs and bombs, etc.

And as far as me wanting you to "disbelieve" anything. I could care less what you believe, so how could I want you to disbelieve anything? You have your OPINIONS and I have mine...I'm cool with that...too bad you aren't...

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1415 Aug 14, 2011
violetkisses79 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm the biased one..
Holy crap, do you have a job? volunteer? go to school? have a life maybe? I do...Geezus, I haven't been on here in sometime and I logon and see I have all too many posts from you...
As far as you liking GSDs more than APBTs, that is YOUR life. I don't dislike them at all. I love all dogs. I see something in APBTs you don't. Sorry, YOU don't like that, but it's not going to change. Just like I'm not going to change your mind about APBTs.
And statistics can read whatever anyone wants them to read. Include bite stats. Take a stats class you would know how that works.
You've been around two pit bulls for the most part. I've been around HUNDREDS. I take a lot of my experience from being around them and not just from websites and books. I like to venture outdoors and experience things for myself...you should try it.
APBT are used for many services. Including service dogs for the handicapped, therapy dogs, rescue dogs, sniffing out drugs and bombs, etc.
And as far as me wanting you to "disbelieve" anything. I could care less what you believe, so how could I want you to disbelieve anything? You have your OPINIONS and I have mine...I'm cool with that...too bad you aren't...
If you want to like APBTs that is your right. I will not dispute that. It is also my right to point out that pit bulls are implicated in numbers of attacks totally out of proportion to percentage of ownership. GSDs are very seldom a problem to people who don't try to over train them as watch dogs as they do have an instinct to protect, but are also very discerning as to who is a welcome guest and who is up to no good.

Getting to your personal attacks on my character, I am now retired, but I most likely made more contributions to unemployment funds than I drew from during my working years. In one 37 year span, I was without a job for only four weeks total. I have also been involved in the past with ministries to the disabled, homeless, and shut-ins. Maybe you ought to think out you posts a bit better before you start with your wild suspicions.
MIke

Saint James, NY

#1416 Oct 18, 2011
Stop judging the breed because a few morons own pitbulls and are irresponsible owners. I have pitbull who is a big baby he is in my lap 90% of the time....he is a intact male and is good with kids and other dogs. If the media cover even a small percentage of the pitbull hero stories people would think much differently. just youtube "pitbull saves". Ban an entire breed is just as bad as racism...lets ban all black people because they have guns and all spanish because they have knives....Ignorance is ignorance no matter how you put it. Do some research! pitbulls are among the most loyal of dogs making them exactly what their owners choose....the dog will do ANYTHING and do it very well to please his owner. They were actually bred not to bite people, to be very friendly with kids, loyal. I think 99.9% of the "pitbull problem" is really a people problem. A pitbull is not a good first dog for most people not all. It is also the breeders responsibility to interview and screen prospective customers. Laws should be implemented to monitor breeders. Too many idiots breeding the wrong way and selling to anyone.
MIke

Saint James, NY

#1417 Oct 18, 2011
Here is a statistic to think about 44% of all bite cases can be attributed to German shepards...We should ban them too....All those nasty little Pomeranian's and Chihuahua's should be ban too.....you know maybe we should ban ALL DOGS!!!

A dog is just a Dog...not a killer, a mauler, murderer, cold blooded killer....just a Dog....Dogs have been domesticated and breed for thousands of years to look to humans for leadership and problem solving...Not everyone is a leader or qualified to own a dog period.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#1418 Oct 23, 2011
MIke wrote:
Here is a statistic to think about 44% of all bite cases can be attributed to German shepards...We should ban them too....All those nasty little Pomeranian's and Chihuahua's should be ban too.....you know maybe we should ban ALL DOGS!!!
A dog is just a Dog...not a killer, a mauler, murderer, cold blooded killer....just a Dog....Dogs have been domesticated and breed for thousands of years to look to humans for leadership and problem solving...Not everyone is a leader or qualified to own a dog period.
A German shepherd attack is far less likely to end in a fatality than a pit bull attack.
Pit bills are evil

Plantersville, MS

#1421 Mar 9, 2012
Dave we are soul mates. I love you.
Shammy

Farnham, UK

#1422 Mar 13, 2012
Threads not the same without dave and ban the bastards

Since: Dec 11

Etna, CA

#1423 Mar 13, 2012
Please visit our website at http://www.wolfhybridpuppies.com/

you can also find my professional breeder site at http://www.edyeswolfhybrids.com/

Thanks.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1424 Apr 7, 2012
Pit Bulls should be shot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dogs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can a spayed female dog produce milk ? (Jan '10) May 11 Camille 25
Mister Lee May 8 misfit 0676 1
News Secret Service: Man planned to kidnap first dog (Jan '16) Apr '17 alina 7
New mother dog whining? Apr '17 Anonymous 1
News TV actor Eijaz Khan denied rented accommodation... Apr '17 Banned Aid 1
Help! Mar '17 SunnysHalo 2
News Region needs off-leash park for dog mingling (Jan '08) Mar '17 wilga 99
More from around the web