|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Cal native wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion is shared by many, including animal behavior experts. The San Francisco Mayor was forced to do something a while back after a kid was killed. They looked at all available data and noticed than mandatory spay neuter programs as well as limits on numbers worked while bans made the problem worse. The laws have been changed accordingly and now the number of pit bulls is more proportionate to that of other breeds . Law enforcement has been forced to do their job and come down hard on irresponsible owners. So far so good.
for once, great news cal! now to get everyone else to follow suit.

“Get The Balance Right”

Since: May 08

New Dayton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Cal native wrote:
<quoted text>
good for you but keep in mind that preprepared pet food (veggie or not) is generally bad for dogs. Cats are even worse because they put ash as a filler in the food. It is better to make your own food , though most people don't have time to do so. I find it Ironic that at my local Humane society, most of the people their are some form of vegetarian but not their dogs and cats. They don't promote any particular food . My wife volunteers their and noticed that one of the women their adopts the old grouchy dogs with lots of health problems when no one else will. They usually have horrible teeth problems. after a month or 2 with this women they have good teeth and their health was better. When we asked her in private she said she used the raw meaty bones diet. the bones clean their teeth and have something in them that boost their immune system.
agreed 100%- its the natural balance of phosphorous and calcium in bones that makes them so good. also like sodium and potassium. then theres the taurine in the meaty bits, plus many other vitamins and minerals found in meat and marrow. it is simply good natural food for animals that are gentically engineered to eat and digest them for optimal health.

“Get The Balance Right”

New Dayton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Shammy wrote:
<quoted text>
How's things on planet fern today where bits of meat grow on trees and cows live to a grand old age. The zoo incident (AGAIN) was a example of a misdemeanour on my part a vegan, Now compare this to likes of you a meat eater who is part responsible for the endless suffering of animals in the meat industry, Try engaging that underused brain of yours and think about it, one day your get it
and how about you, shammy? why don't you enlighten us as to the work you have done in the field with animals, that makes you such an expert?
Swesty

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

This idiot Shammy or should I say Master Shammy leader of the veggie brigade, all he's does for animals is go to a zoo and squirt fizzy drink at the one's he disapproves of and is then is "surprised" by its response and I almost forgot he wrecks in his view pointless pit bull forums too.
Ban the bastards

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

Swesty wrote:
I almost forgot he wrecks in his view pointless pit bull forums too.
You stupid hypocrite Sweaty don't you remember the pit bull forum you into turned to the best way to torture me let me remind of its conclusions "drink drain cleaner" or "get cancer" IDIOT
D Berman

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

I have a pit bull which i have fed a vegetarian diet for almost 4 years now and so far has had no health issues so a veggie diet is not impossible, In this forum and others, vegetarians seem to be portrayed as freaks by some members, which in my opinion says very little for their mentality.
Ban the bastards

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

D Berman wrote:
I have a pit bull which i have fed a vegetarian diet for almost 4 years now and so far has had no health issues so a veggie diet is not impossible, In this forum and others, vegetarians seem to be portrayed as freaks by some members, which in my opinion says very little for their mentality.
Hey feed it some more Brussel sprouts hopefully it will get gas and explode and I thought the uk had banned pit bulls
D Berman

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Ban the bastards wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey feed it some more Brussel sprouts hopefully it will get gas and explode and I thought the uk had banned pit bulls
The dog is not in the UK and is fortunately a considerable distance from you

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

D Berman wrote:
there is very little to be said about anyone's mentality that impose alternative eating on an animal if it effects its health.
once again - lets be brutally honest - the only reason veggie diets are fed to meat eating animals, is to please the owner and make the owner feel good, not the animal, otherwise the animal would choose that diet in nature, which they do not.
yes, its a known fact that some animals can survive on veggie diets, while others cannot, based on differing factors already mentioned in previous posts. if your animal is healthy, and is being monitored and is responding well to the veggie diet, then there is not reason not to feed it veggie if thats what you like. however, not all other animals are not so fortunate, and are plagued by health issues and allergic reactions with these foods.
responsible "vegan" owners, whose views are respected, are the ones who regularly monitor the health of their animals, have regular vet checks, and if the animal declines, they put the welfare of their pet first, support its needs rather than their own personal preferences, and feed whatever the animal needs to remain healthy, including meat. there are many who do exactly this.

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

the vegans who are considered "freaks' are the ones who want all meat eating animals, domestic and wild, whether fur, fin, scale, wing or bug, done away with as they are "immoral filth", yet try to claim they are "animal lovers". this utter ignorance and complete lack of any understanding of the natural world is what draws the reactions they get.

“oh i think he likes me”

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

howard crews wrote:
The diet of the animal has nothing really to do with banning the animals. In my oppinion the banning of the pitbull is just away to avoid have to comfront their owners. Just a way to avoid having lock some idiot up for abuse or neglect. So banning is just saying its easier to approach the one that doesn't speak versus the man or women that does. Stop being chickens and approach the person.
THANK YOU!!!! finally, back on topic... and with a very good point i might add

“oh i think he likes me”

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Cal native wrote:
<quoted text>
good for you but keep in mind that preprepared pet food (veggie or not) is generally bad for dogs. Cats are even worse because they put ash as a filler in the food. It is better to make your own food , though most people don't have time to do so. I find it Ironic that at my local Humane society, most of the people their are some form of vegetarian but not their dogs and cats. They don't promote any particular food . My wife volunteers their and noticed that one of the women their adopts the old grouchy dogs with lots of health problems when no one else will. They usually have horrible teeth problems. after a month or 2 with this women they have good teeth and their health was better. When we asked her in private she said she used the raw meaty bones diet. the bones clean their teeth and have something in them that boost their immune system.
what's the "raw meaty bones" diet? i ask because as we all should know i have 2 dogs. the chow/pit is 9, about a 1 1/2yrs ago i had to switch her to the purena one senior dog food from her regular food cause all of a sudden she started throwing up for like no reason, but once i switched her food she hasnt thrown up since(except for when she eats the puppies food, i can always tell! yuk). now the puppy is eatting a mix of puppy chow(the large breed stuff) and regular dog chow(though she preferres to eat senior dog food when i'm not looking, brats) which is what my older dog ate up until she started pukin. now the vet says they're both fine. but if there's something better out there i can try(not veggie cause i think that's dumb) that maybe they can both eat the same thing and even prolong my older dogs life then i'll try it.

“Get The Balance Right”

New Dayton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

hell2the_nah wrote:
<quoted text>
what's the "raw meaty bones" diet? i ask because as we all should know i have 2 dogs. the chow/pit is 9, about a 1 1/2yrs ago i had to switch her to the purena one senior dog food from her regular food cause all of a sudden she started throwing up for like no reason, but once i switched her food she hasnt thrown up since(except for when she eats the puppies food, i can always tell! yuk). now the puppy is eatting a mix of puppy chow(the large breed stuff) and regular dog chow(though she preferres to eat senior dog food when i'm not looking, brats) which is what my older dog ate up until she started pukin. now the vet says they're both fine. but if there's something better out there i can try(not veggie cause i think that's dumb) that maybe they can both eat the same thing and even prolong my older dogs life then i'll try it.
here you go :-0 keep in mind that the breed of dog and its size can affect the diet - read up on what would be the best option to start with. you have to be careful of some of the grains and dairy products, which some dogs are allergic to.
i always advise not to feed sharp bones or any poultry bones, and to try and avoid even the thick cooked ones which can splinter. trust me you never want to deal with a dog that has a perforated intestine, stomach or throat, so why take the chance. keep it to good raw bones that and thick enough for your pet to gnaw on and not swallow whole, but that are soft enough to chew, like beef neck and oxtail bones. here's some sites with various view points that you can form your own opinion from: hope it helps :-)

http://www.thepetcenter.com/xra/bonecomp.html
http://www.dianeschuller.com/dogs_on_raw_diet...
http://www.dogaware.com/wdjhomemade5.html
http://www.phouka.com/dogs/dog_raw.html
http://www.katberard.com/hol_bonesandfood.htm
Liz

North Bergen, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Liz Rickaby wrote:
I am a vegetarian and my dog which I have been feeding a veggie diet for over 3 years now is according to my vet fine, so what's the problem? If as suggested before more people used the veggie diet there would be less slaughter of animals, is that not a good thing or am I missing something?
Can you, or any who have successfully fed veggie pleeze tell me what brand you used

“Get The Balance Right”

New Dayton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Liz wrote:
<quoted text>Can you, or any who have successfully fed veggie pleeze tell me what brand you used
why don't you ask your local vet? and take their advice, after they have checked out your dog's health, to see if a veg diet is suitable or not for your pet?
Laughing at the Insanity

Palos Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Judged:

Liz wrote:
<quoted text>Can you, or any who have successfully fed veggie pleeze tell me what brand you used
Hi Liz did you realise that many meat based pet foods contain diseased animals even euthanased dogs are used

http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/petfood...

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Judged:

no diseased animal is allowed to be slaughtered in a slaughter house - that is why there are meat inspectors, and this is closely monitored here in canada through CFIA, especially with animals shipped across the border - i am not sure where you think that happens. part of my career was ENSURING that cattle that were shipped were over drug withdrawal times, and healthy. NO animal was ever shipped that had been "preshot" or any such garbage - such animals had to be disposed of immediately and were incinerated. if not, the seller/feedlot operator faces substantial fines and could lose their licenses. so lets not start paranoid rumours please. if there ARE companies contrevening these laws, they face substantial law suits, not to mention vets.

“"In dog years, I'm dead."”

Since: Feb 08

Novato

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Laughing at the Insanity wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Liz did you realise that many meat based pet foods contain diseased animals even euthanased dogs are used
http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/petfood...
while this has happened in the past it is no longer true. It is however why there is a growing industry for high quality pet foods , some veggie some not.
There are even companies supplying raw food diets now though they are a bit pricey.
The growing trend is to look for certain things in the ingredients that are warning signs.
Obviously byproducts of any meat variety are one. Corn wheat, and soy are the others. Soy is an odd one in that a small number of dogs can handle it just fine, they get no nutritional value from it but it doesn't seem to harm them. The larger number of dogs and almost every cats have slow but steady long term negative reactions to soy. I am one of those people who like dogs cannot eat soy. It is toxic.

“Why So Serious?”

Phoenix

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

Judged:

dave wrote:
<quoted text>
in Virginia, if you leave a child under 14 alone with a pit. you will be arrested for child endangerment...WHAT DOE,S THAT TELL YOU???smartass..get real, these dogs can go off and maul no matter how they are raised, i hope one of your children is not next...david
ur mentally ill buddeh ive been in a gang, still am in 1 i owned pit bulls, and never put them anywhere near a ring and they never bit anyone 1 time in thier lives, great dogs, but now ive settled with my pit bull mix, i dunno wat u sayin pit bulls are so cute and sweet, and if i ever heard of a pit bull bitin somebodeh yeh i'd report it, and id report pit bull fighting but i still wouldnt ban them.
punish the breed, not the deed.

“"In dog years, I'm dead."”

Novato

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2008

Judged:

objective wrote:
<quoted text>

i always advise not to feed sharp bones or any poultry bones, and to try and avoid even the thick cooked ones which can splinter.
My vet sais to never give a dog a cooked bone of any kind. They are to hard. We feed our lab raw chicken with the bones in it. Apparently the raw bones are softer. Though we have not had any problems I am always nervous about chicken bones even though the vet sais not to worry. We give our dogs 2 grass fed organic beef bones twice a week.
I was amazed at what they could do to the bones , then I saw what my dane did to a unopened can of dog food we had for when we couldn't prepare something for her. The lid was nowhere to be found, it was completely empty, and it was crushed with many many large holes from her teeth.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Dogs Forum right now

Search the Dogs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Get Rid of a Dog's Cold (Apr '11) Jul 24 MADDY 45
Right Then! All PIT-BULL haters come here and t... (Nov '08) Jul 13 S Wooley 687
Shelter pet program featured at upcoming Garden... Jul 5 Linda Mitchell 1
Looking for small breed puppies in Pickens Coun... Jul 3 Janis64 2
LETTER: Keep your dogs out of stores Jun '14 Practical Polly 14
Distressed Angus resident searching for family ... Jun '14 sad 1
Looking for a female boxer to breed my 2 male b... (Aug '11) Jun '14 alex Villanueva 43
•••
•••