dave

Columbia, SC

#22 Mar 28, 2007
Nicole-Marie wrote:
I have a brindle pit bull which is right as of this minute pregnant with 12 pups. She not only is gentle and loving to me when I rub her belly, but is also gentle and kind to the children that come around to my house to play with her. She is an indoor family member-dog. I also have two cats which she helps to clean when they can't reach spots on their backs. I have a golden retriever as well, and as we all would assume, are "true" family dogs. Well not so true here. My golden decided about 8 months ago that she wanted my pit bulls toy, so she attacked my pit. Since then I have to keep them seperated due to the medical costs the golden caused. I also asked my vet if the stats were true about pit bulls being the most to kill/injure humans, and they said not so true. It's is just that they are the main ones to be reported. Most animal owners that have had dogs that have turned are shot by their owners and burried before they are able to have charges brought against them. Unless you experience this first hand do not judge pits as being bad. I once was attacked by my ex's chow, but I didn't go to the police, nor did I have it recoreded anywhere. So here are two obvious examples of different breeds attacking. And by the way Dave I live in SC too. We are one of the states with many pit bulls. And I LOVE it!
just google pit bulls maul and you will see what i,m talking about, i was a police officer for 23 years and when you see a pitt shaking a 7 year old child like a rag doll and have to shoot it to get it to stop, you may change your mind, and the family said this dog was so gentle before...i love dogs, i have a 110 lb german shepherd..but i,v just seen to many maulings from these animals, they can go balistic in a heartbeat for no apparent reason...david
dave

Columbia, SC

#23 Mar 28, 2007
john henry wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a terrible thing when any animal kills a person and if the stats showed that one out of ten or even one out of one thousand of these dogs killed a human I would agree on a ban. However, we are probably talking one out of every million dogs that kill. With stats this high I think that this falls within the term of accident, not intent.
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever owned a pit bull? My son has two, a male and a female, and they are both very gentle.
As a matter of fact if you read about these animals you'll find that most are gentle, toward humans. The reason, I have read, is exactly because of their size and strength. As this breed developed the owners found that the ones who were aggressive to humans were to much to handle, so they were put down. This meant that only the ones that were gentle with humans survived and reproduced.
I agree with you that with any dog of this size precautions should always be taken, I would never leave a young child around a pit, or any dog as far as that goes, most can turn nasty with children if mishandled.
hi John
one of the problems with pits is the people that own them, 90% are drug dealers or trailer trash, alot of fine people live in trailer parks, but u know the ones i,m speakinf of, they don,t care because they have nothing to start with, most don,t even take their dogs to have their shots..
john

UK

#24 Mar 28, 2007
dave wrote:
lets ban these KILLERS before they maul more of our Children..they are good for nothing except mauling people and kids...david
Are you stupid, its not the dogs it the owners.

lets ban cars has they run people over, this is what you are saying.
john

UK

#25 Mar 28, 2007
dave wrote:
<quoted text>
hi John
one of the problems with pits is the people that own them, 90% are drug dealers or trailer trash, alot of fine people live in trailer parks, but u know the ones i,m speakinf of, they don,t care because they have nothing to start with, most don,t even take their dogs to have their shots..
maybe you should stop stereo typing people, they might live in a trailer, but what makes you any better?

“Shhhhsh I'm sleeping”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#26 Mar 28, 2007
dave wrote:
<quoted text>
hi John
I can see your point Dave. I know some of these people and without a ban they will own the dogs and leave them to starve and become mean.

That's a very good point. A ban would stop these types from owning pit bulls. Damn. But what will stop them from using German shepards or any other breed?

Maybe we need to have people licenced for ownership of certain breeds of dogs. We could then control the breed owned by certain types...drug offenders, armed robbers..etc.. Make the ones who do own the larger breeds pay for some type of insurance.

Would something like this work? What does everyone think about this kind of plan?
dave

Columbia, SC

#27 Mar 28, 2007
john henry wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see your point Dave. I know some of these people and without a ban they will own the dogs and leave them to starve and become mean.
That's a very good point. A ban would stop these types from owning pit bulls. Damn. But what will stop them from using German shepards or any other breed?
Maybe we need to have people licenced for ownership of certain breeds of dogs. We could then control the breed owned by certain types...drug offenders, armed robbers..etc.. Make the ones who do own the larger breeds pay for some type of insurance.
Would something like this work? What does everyone think about this kind of plan?
ye john...insurance would be a great idea, if it were enforced, the people i speak of would never put out a dime for insurance, that is why they are so irresponsable..david
dave

Columbia, SC

#29 Mar 28, 2007
john wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe you should stop stereo typing people, they might live in a trailer, but what makes you any better?
YEA, You are definantly trailer trash yourself...david
Doug

Mississippi State, MS

#30 Mar 30, 2007
Dave, coming from a police officer, you sure don't know what you are talking about or were on the receiving end of bad owners. Since you were officer, I am sure you forget, you get called into bad situations instead of good ones 70% of the time. I own 3 pit bulls, have trained them up to be work dogs only. I have three kids all three under the age of 10, and they really enjoy playing with all 3 of them. Pitbulls attack for a reason, some are valid, some are not valid, but every bad pitbull i have seen, the owner treated or trained the dog badly. Ban the owner, not the breed.
dave

Columbia, SC

#31 Mar 30, 2007
Doug wrote:
Dave, coming from a police officer, you sure don't know what you are talking about or were on the receiving end of bad owners. Since you were officer, I am sure you forget, you get called into bad situations instead of good ones 70% of the time. I own 3 pit bulls, have trained them up to be work dogs only. I have three kids all three under the age of 10, and they really enjoy playing with all 3 of them. Pitbulls attack for a reason, some are valid, some are not valid, but every bad pitbull i have seen, the owner treated or trained the dog badly. Ban the owner, not the breed.
in Virginia, if you leave a child under 14 alone with a pit. you will be arrested for child endangerment...WHAT DOE,S THAT TELL YOU???smartass..get real, these dogs can go off and maul no matter how they are raised, i hope one of your children is not next...david

“Im baaaaaack!!!!!!! !”

Since: Jan 07

Philadelphia

#32 Apr 1, 2007
DAVE, DAVE, DAVE! Let it go, dude! There are bad dogs in all breeds. I agree with Nicole, when she stated (paraphrasing) that it is not that pits attack more, they just get reported for it more. When I was a kid our neighbor had a German Shepard that bit her 3 yerar old cousin in the eye and he had to go to the ER. The little boy had a flap of flesh hanging from the side of his face, it was gruesome and the dog came about a half centimeter from doing serious damage to that kid's eye.
Guess what? Animal control came and got the dog right away and put him down for a permanent nap. Does that mean all German Shepards are bad? NO. Its just an example of one that went bad. To be honest with you, I beleve the neighbor mistreated the animal anyway and unfortunately the dog payed the price.

So, once again, here is another person telling you that its usually the fault of the owners that the dogs go bad.

PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED!!!!

james

Yeovil, UK

#33 Apr 1, 2007
dogs are great, i only hate people who hate dogs.

Jamestown, TN

#34 Apr 3, 2007
I am really getting tired of these Pro-Pit/Anti-Pit discussions. It gets old and no matter how much it gets discussed nothing gets resolved, people sink to name calling, and no one backs down.

Just my take, not trying to offend anyone. Just saying it gets old.
Ashlee

United States

#35 Apr 3, 2007
I LOVE PITS! THEY ARE NOT KILLERS. THEY ARE JUST EXTREMELY LOYAL TO THEIR OWNERS BECAUSE OF LOVE. ANY DOG CAN BECOME AGGRESSIVE, PITS ARE JUST BIGGER AND STRONGER AND DO MORE DAMAGE. PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED. DONT BE IGNORANT.
WHO KNOWS DOGS BETTER THAN THE DOG WISPERER, CEASAR MILAN. WHY DONT YOU LOOK TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT THEM.
Smitty

Lubbock, TX

#37 Apr 9, 2007
Half of you sound dumb as hell, and obviously have never owned a "Pitbull". There are so many different breeds of dogs that are classified as Pits (staffordshire terrier, preso canario, american bulldog, argentino dogos). These dogs if breed properly are no different then any other breeds (Rotts, German Shepards, Pinchers, etc.) The reason you have the stats on "Pitbull Attacks" is because any big, mean ass, ill tempered dog is considered a "Pitbull". You will also need to check into the facts on how many people actually own "Pitbulls", the number ONE owned dog. Take this into account with how many idots raise them for aggression (inbreeding). The pitbull is by far the best dog, it has agility, power, but best of all, coming from the terrier background, they are very smart.
Smitty

Lubbock, TX

#38 Apr 9, 2007

Jamestown, TN

#39 Apr 9, 2007
Smitty wrote:
http://images.google.com/imgre s?imgurl=http://www.mytopdogs. com/pics/americanpitbull.jpg &imgrefurl=http://www.myto pdogs.com/americanpitbullbreed .shtml&h=293&w=186 &sz=17&hl=en&start =2&um=1&tbnid=EhKE8TWv JkGGDM:&tbnh=115&tbnw= 73&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAmer ican%2BPitbull%26svnum%3D10%26 um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
Thats beautiful. Mine is short like that but he's not that muscular. I don't think I wanna make him that muscular because then the old stereotypes would be arisen.
Listening

Puyallup, WA

#40 Apr 11, 2007
All I know is a felon can't walk out of prison and buy a gun but he sure as hell can go out and buy a pit. I agree that it's how they are raised and treated but because these dogs are more powerful and stronger than other breeds there should be more owner restriction and responsibility. I just watched on the news not 2 min ago where a woman out where I live was attacked by her neighbors pit yesterday and guess what the pits owner said, i don't get it, it's such a sweet dog. Isn't that always the answer? If it's sucha sweet dog, then why could the neighbor not garden in her own yard without being attacked. I don't know about you guy's but gardening doesn't usually provoke an attack from a dog.
Dave

Columbia, SC

#41 Apr 11, 2007
Listening wrote:
All I know is a felon can't walk out of prison and buy a gun but he sure as hell can go out and buy a pit. I agree that it's how they are raised and treated but because these dogs are more powerful and stronger than other breeds there should be more owner restriction and responsibility. I just watched on the news not 2 min ago where a woman out where I live was attacked by her neighbors pit yesterday and guess what the pits owner said, i don't get it, it's such a sweet dog. Isn't that always the answer? If it's such sweet dog, then why could the neighbor not garden in her own yard without being attacked. I don't know about you guy's but gardening doesn't usually provoke an attack from a dog.
WOW
just another example of these killer animals, people just DON,T get it, these animals go off for no reason, no cause, they are killers and we need to BAN THESE KILLER PITS...
people own these animals that are not very smart and ,uneducated, Has nothing to give if they are sued..they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law when these killers maul and kill, this would learn these inept lowlife,non caring idiots something...David Johnson
martin villarreal

San Antonio, TX

#42 Apr 12, 2007
why do pitbulls kill
martin villarreal

San Antonio, TX

#43 Apr 12, 2007
how do they

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dogs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Australia: Depp's dogs need to 'bugger off' May 17 Schnooki 1
Make boxer to mate with my female boxer!! May 12 Romeyrome30 3
My dog won't eat. I need advice. HELP!! (Jan '07) May 9 Mee 253
rotterman puppies for sale (Nov '08) May 4 marktoddgraf 80
Right Then! All PIT-BULL haters come here and t... (Nov '08) Apr 30 Stryker 696
Dog portrait, funny pet portraits, caricatures ... Apr 28 texom44 1
Looking for a female boxer to breed my 2 male b... (Aug '11) Apr '15 Kinnidi 50
More from around the web