Philadelphia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2007

Judged:

I own a 8 1/2 month old american pit bull terrier and he's the sweetest thing. Very obedient, friendly to people and other animals- he's basically the type that spoils the bad wrap pit bulls get. Anyhoo, lately he has almost no interest in eating. We tried switching brands, formulas, eating schedule, BARF- not much luck. His appetite will pick up for a day or two then he wont eat for a week. He also seems lethargic and isnt as playful.

I took him to the vet, who asked me if he was around any dog's in heat and at the time he was but it has been a month since he's seen that dog now. The vet gave him a cortizone shot and told me his appetite should pick up, he's young so he couldnt figure out why he would be so tired, but he should be ok after the shot. He ate for all of one day after the shot and now he's back to not eating.

Has anyone else experienced this with their dog? Is there any advice anyone an give me?
mmm

Mechanicsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Judged:

my dog stopped eating and was depressed. now she has kidney failure

“Im baaaaaack!!!!!!! !”

Since: Jan 07

Philadelphia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Judged:

Puppy's all better and has been given a clean bill of health. Now he wont STOP eating. LOL.
john

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2007

Judged:

mmm wrote:
simple swop vets

the one you have might not be experienced.

You need proper avice, dont listen to people on here, unless they are vets.
Ronnie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2007

Judged:

Ms Misha 77 wrote:
I own a 8 1/2 month old american pit bull terrier and he's the sweetest thing. Very obedient, friendly to people and other animals- he's basically the type that spoils the bad wrap pit bulls get. Anyhoo, lately he has almost no interest in eating. We tried switching brands, formulas, eating schedule, BARF- not much luck. His appetite will pick up for a day or two then he wont eat for a week. He also seems lethargic and isnt as playful.
I took him to the vet, who asked me if he was around any dog's in heat and at the time he was but it has been a month since he's seen that dog now. The vet gave him a cortizone shot and told me his appetite should pick up, he's young so he couldnt figure out why he would be so tired, but he should be ok after the shot. He ate for all of one day after the shot and now he's back to not eating.
Has anyone else experienced this with their dog? Is there any advice anyone an give me?
Yes,
They told me it was a viral infection :-(
lol
Ronnie
Ronnie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2007

Judged:

Yes,
The vet said it was a viral infection :-(

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2007

Judged:

Get back to the vet or another one and make them understand the seriousness of the situation. Don't wait.
Annie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Judged:

Ms Misha 77 wrote:
Has your dog eaten and how did you get him to eat? I'm having the same problem but my dog is 7 years old.
feech

Plainview, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Judged:

test

“Im baaaaaack!!!!!!! !”

Since: Jan 07

Philadelphia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

Judged:

Annie wrote:
<quoted text> Has your dog eaten and how did you get him to eat? I'm having the same problem but my dog is 7 years old.
After calling the vet again, he asked if there was afemale dog in heat that had regular contact with my dog. One of my dog's playmates up the street, in fact, was in heat. The vet said that if you have a male dog that it not fixed around a female in heat, they are sometimes affected by it. They dont eat, they become more agressive than noirmal, and/or seem lethargic.
ic litter

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

Judged:

mmm wrote:
Sounds like Your pup is a victim of the contaminated pet food syndrome. I hope Your vet can reverse the renal problem. Go with 'Boutique' food. The very best is 'INNOVA',but its hard to find and it is pricey. Another that You can find at Petco's usually is 'Solid Gold'. At the grocery store I buy round steak, have them trim the fat and grind it. I cook the meat and mix it in with potatoes, rice and the dry food. Until they get a handle on this pet food crisis, i reccomend You to stay away from all grocery store available foods. Innova must have a website, they offer both dry and wet. The wet smells exactly like real food because it is. Good luck!
jen

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2007

Judged:

my dogs on heat atm shes not eatin anybody no if this is normal?
Doggie Sitter Dilemma

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2007

Judged:

i dog sit for a living and i have a client with a 1 year old beagle that refuses to eat. While under my care "Lubov" will nibble at some of the dry food but has no real interest in eating anything other than human food he doesnt eat wet food because he'll get an upset stomach.He's active and acting normal but it's still concerning.I know that sometimes when a dog has been around another dog in heat they lose their appetite for some reason.I'm not sure if maybe thats the case of if maybe he has some type of intestinal problem.My main theory is that their owners spoil him with human food as treats."Lubov" appears to be slightly under weight and i would appreciate any type of advice
Gina

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2007

Judged:

My 5yr Yorkie male senses a female in heat in the neighborhood. When we go out to winkle he sits there and stares in that direction and whines. Has lost his appetite, but is drinking plenty. All thru the night he is in my face whining, wanting out. He is not fixed. Is he too old? Would it be safe? Would it stop this behavior? I am so sleepy? He spends his days going back and forth to the door and wimpering.
jen

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

Judged:

MY DOG IS GETTING ALOT BETTER NOW AND IS EATING ALOT MORE THAN SHE WAS.

WAS TAKING HER FOR A WALK ON FRIDAY NITE AND SHE WAS WALKING VERY SLOWLY I HAD TO LITERALLY DRAG HER (IN DA GENTALIST WAY) TO MAKE HER WALK.
IL KEEP U UPDATED XXX
ashkley johnson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2007

Judged:

i like pit bulls and do not want see them like that so would recommed that bring the dog the the vet and have him checked over. may he needs a differnt food.
bolo

Winfield, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2007

Judged:

i have a female dog that i adopted off the street. we had her spayed immediately and she never slowed down. she ate a lot even to the point of running off the other dogs. now all of a sudden she has stopped eating altogether. we gave her weiners, raw hamburger meat, and canned cat food and she wouldn't touch any of them. this is going into about the third day now. now this dog is a roamer, going in the woods and neighbors pastures. one neighbor has left cattle carcasses in the woods, and i know my dogs visit that, as i can smell them, and occasionally drag up a big bone or whatever. could she have been poisoned off the carcass? or any suggestions as to why she would lose her ravenous appetite all of a sudden.
ic litter

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2007

Judged:

bolo wrote:
i have a female dog that i adopted off the street. we had her spayed immediately and she never slowed down. she ate a lot even to the point of running off the other dogs. now all of a sudden she has stopped eating altogether. we gave her weiners, raw hamburger meat, and canned cat food and she wouldn't touch any of them. this is going into about the third day now. now this dog is a roamer, going in the woods and neighbors pastures. one neighbor has left cattle carcasses in the woods, and i know my dogs visit that, as i can smell them, and occasionally drag up a big bone or whatever. could she have been poisoned off the carcass? or any suggestions as to why she would lose her ravenous appetite all of a sudden.
Get her to the vet. Do NOT feed her cat food as it is too much protien for one thing. Don't give her raw meat, cook it and drain it off. Too many wierd hormones and what not given to livestock. Free range meat is more acceptable to feed raw. I would stay away from all commercial dog foods for now with the tainted pet food crisis. A good food that is attainable at Petco is Solid Gold. Is she urinating more than normal? Is she lethargic? Find a good vet and find out how her kidney's are.
sarai

Brownsville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2007

Judged:

every single night we give my dog canned food and he doesnt seem like eating his food what do i do
bolo

Pell City, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2007

Judged:

ic litter, i appreciate your answer. on the third day my dog started back to eating. we called the vet on the second day and she said give her another day or so and if she didn't start back to eating then bring her in. i think she ate some carion (sp) from my neighbors cattle carcass in his woods, and made her sick, but she appears to be back to normal now. It always scares me when they don't eat. I really appreciate the answers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of248
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••