What Do You Think About Hybrid Cats?

What Do You Think About Hybrid Cats?

Created by TrilbyKat on Feb 15, 2008

99 votes

Click on an option to vote

Hybrids Are Beautiful & Exotic

1st Three Generations = Wild

Make Intelligent & Loving Pets

Very Destructive & Dominant

Responsible Owners Required

I Love My Hybrid Cat!

Genetic Experiment Gone Wrong

Too Expensive For Me

I Don't Know Much About Them

What's A Hybrid Cat?

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#1 Feb 16, 2008
I only know what I've read, but it does seem to me that hybrid cats can take a significant amount of care and a good understanding of their temperament, especially with the first few generations in breed development. An owner would need to be very well informed and responsible to handle some of these cats as pets. Even a few domestic cats are far from docile - excepting the Ragdolls, of course.
Idiot Stick

Morristown, NJ

#2 Feb 16, 2008
I really don't think it's necessary to make another breed of cats. There are plenty that are homeless and breeding unchecked already. They may be beautiful but totally unnecessary... imo
Joni

White Oak, NC

#3 Feb 19, 2008
I agree with Idiot Stick. Go to your local shelter and adopt a cat. Every "designer cat" bought creates demand, encourages breeding, and leads to the death of innocent cats just because they didn't have the right pedigree.
Idiot Stick

Morristown, NJ

#4 Mar 1, 2008
The poll is missing some other answers like: It's unnecessary!

“Meow”

Since: May 07

Yacking up a topix hairball

#5 Mar 3, 2008
Isn't the word "hybrid" just another term for "mongrel"??
Idiot Stick

Morristown, NJ

#7 Apr 27, 2008
Little Cat wrote:
Isn't the word "hybrid" just another term for "mongrel"??
LOL. Good point probably missed by everyone!!

“Your Gods' Rules not mine.”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#8 Apr 29, 2008
Whoever developed the cats with the stubby legs needs their a$z kicked IMO. And the smooshed nosed kitties who cannot breath. Its disgusting the things humans do because they can.
George S

Chicago, IL

#9 May 27, 2008
http://www.wildcatconservation.org/Wild_Cats_...
A great link that says it all. People wanting hybrid cats even though they may be cute..and may be a "cool" pet..are contributing to the negative population and conservastion of wild felines out there like it or not.
Look at the big picture..it is a bad thing both for the domestic cat and the wild ones.
RastaKins

Dana Point, CA

#10 Aug 26, 2008
Idiot Stick wrote:
I really don't think it's necessary to make another breed of cats. There are plenty that are homeless and breeding unchecked already.
This is an old, tired argument. There are no F1 Savannahs which are breeding unchecked. Your argument is like saying, "Don't buy a new car; there are used cars available everywhere already." Or how about, "Don't buy a horse, there are plenty of dogs in the animal shelter."

I have a F1 Savannah. He is nothing like my three other rescue cats.
Clovis

Topeka, KS

#11 Aug 27, 2008
I had no idea what an exotic cat was until I Googled it...
Very pretty, but probably very expensive...
ummm... I don't think anyone "developed" the "stubby legged" cat.
I believe it's a natural mutation (that someone thought was cool) and then bred to continue that trait.
I think that's how all cat breeds were "developed".
It's just something that happens.
The choice comes in when people say "I want more kittens".
I have always wanted a Japanese Bobtail or one of those cute munchkins, but I could never afford one.
My rescued kitty is the bomb!
I keep telling people I "won the kitty lottery", my cat is the most tolerant, and loving cat I have ever had.
He's the greatest, and has made such a difference in my mood.
One thing:
My cat is a "companion animal" (Fair housing act), and I was really surprised at the lack of information out there on finding regulations regarding "companion animals" different from "service animals".
Anyway, it all worked out, and I love my little guy!
Dancer

United States

#12 Aug 27, 2008
Well, I own 2 "hybrids" and I got them for free like most everyone else on this planet, that don't want to spend the huge bucks for a "purebreed"

“Your Gods' Rules not mine.”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#14 Aug 27, 2008
Clovis wrote:
I had no idea what an exotic cat was until I Googled it...
Very pretty, but probably very expensive...
ummm... I don't think anyone "developed" the "stubby legged" cat.
I believe it's a natural mutation (that someone thought was cool) and then bred to continue that trait.
I think that's how all cat breeds were "developed".
It's just something that happens.
The choice comes in when people say "I want more kittens".
I have always wanted a Japanese Bobtail or one of those cute munchkins, but I could never afford one.
My rescued kitty is the bomb!
I keep telling people I "won the kitty lottery", my cat is the most tolerant, and loving cat I have ever had.
He's the greatest, and has made such a difference in my mood.
One thing:
My cat is a "companion animal" (Fair housing act), and I was really surprised at the lack of information out there on finding regulations regarding "companion animals" different from "service animals".
Anyway, it all worked out, and I love my little guy!
Exploiting a mutation for amusement purposes is wrong. The health concerns are not fully understood. Such things are strictly controlled and mostly forbidden in Europe.

If you want a ferret or a rat get one. But don't encourage mutant cat breeding.
Shammy

UK

#15 Aug 28, 2008
Homika wrote:
Hi all as relocating to united Kingdon are savannah hybred cat allowed or excluded like Australia
Yes F5 Savannah is seen as a ordinary cat however F1 to F4 licence /permit required there are a few Savannah breeders in uk. If you are Importing animals yourself to the uk there maybe a quarantine requirement
Joni

White Oak, NC

#16 Aug 28, 2008
RastaKins wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an old, tired argument. There are no F1 Savannahs which are breeding unchecked. Your argument is like saying, "Don't buy a new car; there are used cars available everywhere already." Or how about, "Don't buy a horse, there are plenty of dogs in the animal shelter."
I have a F1 Savannah. He is nothing like my three other rescue cats.
The whole new car-used car argument doesn't work here. When you get tired of your used car and get rid of it for a new one, nothing is killed for your decision. I think we should focus on caring for the millions of animals we already have rather than ways to create new ones. And the horse-dog argument just doesn't make any sense because they are two totally different animals. Besides, we are not euthanizing 4 million horses every year in this country.

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#17 Aug 28, 2008
Konnichiwa, Homika,

Here are DEFRA's regulations which show that the hybrid cat must be five generations removed from its wild ancestors in order to qualify for entry into the United Kingdom as a pet. Any hybrid cat in the first four generations (F1 - F4) needs a permit from CITES to enter the country:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pe...

More on importing hybrids into the UK:

http://www.messybeast.com/small-hybrids/owner...

If you are only looking to buy a Savannah cat after you are relocated then you are fine, as they are not banned. Here is a link to some breeders there. One of them claims, "I am the only breeder in the UK at the present time with an F2 Savannah."

http://www.savannahcat.com/public/index.php...
TonyPeacock

Isaacs, Australia

#19 Sep 23, 2008
There is a recent Australian Government ban on importing any cat with African serval genes (i.e. any Savannah cat regardless of generation).

The ban is due to Australia's unique wildlife and to ensure serval genes do not enter the feral cat population.

The ban relates to Australia only.
Jim

UK

#20 Sep 28, 2008
Test

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#21 Sep 28, 2008
Jim wrote:
Test
You score 100% on your test. Congratulations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cats Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baby Kitten Emergency Aug 20 JoeyPunkKitty 1
News 10 Most Evil Famous Cartoon Cats (Jan '10) Aug 19 Jrm97 3
Help- my cat is getting so skinny . HE IS ALL B... (Jul '07) Jul 28 Rose_NoHo 377
Just adopted a declawed cat, and I have a quest... (May '11) Jul '17 My Last Cat Ever ... 4
Laser Declawing...Better? (Jan '07) Jul '17 Alessandro420 624
Lightweight litter is dangerous Jul '17 My Last Cat Ever ... 3
News Why your pet cat is not really yours (Aug '11) Jul '17 Thank God for LIF... 34
More from around the web