Unfair laws on dogs

Jan 16, 2009 Full story: The Star Online 27

I ALWAYS presumed that one's own home was one's castle. Obviously, I was wrong. Now I read that to own a pet dog, I need my neighbour's permission 'Dog owners in Nilai must now get neighbour's permission' . I ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Victim of unfair dog laws

Pensacola, FL

#1 Feb 1, 2009
Unfortunately I recently was victim to neighbor discrimination! Animal Control actually took my dog based on false neighbor reports that my dog was roaming. My neighbors and I had been at odds from day one for unrelated reasons, but they found a way to cause me undue costs, time and most of all anguish by using their higher status in the community to have my dog taken from me and my kids. People can be cold and judgmental if you aren't, "in their eyes like them." They got what they wanted ultimately--I moved! Won't ever live in SRC again. They can have it!
blah blah blah

Glasgow, KY

#2 Feb 1, 2009
did you get the dog back? I think that is awful for people to be like that, someone should probably tell them what ever they do to others will come back to them 10 fold.

Since: Feb 09

Pensacola, FL

#3 Feb 3, 2009
blah blah blah wrote:
did you get the dog back? I think that is awful for people to be like that, someone should probably tell them what ever they do to others will come back to them 10 fold.
no I did not get my dog back---they put him down

“Get The Balance Right”

Since: May 08

Burnaby, Canada

#5 Feb 7, 2009
1crazybch wrote:
<quoted text>
no I did not get my dog back---they put him down
you say there are laws that allow for a dog to be confiscated and destroyed because it might escape and ROAM?

if so, i am stunned!!!!

here, dogs can only be confiscated in cases of extreme abuse / negligence, or viciousness (attacking) a human...

you should take your story to the media.

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

#6 Feb 7, 2009
confiscated AND destroyed as a consequence i forgot to add...
rooster

Cable, OH

#7 Feb 24, 2009
They can also be taken if you do not have a current dog tags. You could have gone and claimed your dog. It is illegal in the state of Ohio for dogs to run at large.

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

#8 Feb 24, 2009
rooster wrote:
They can also be taken if you do not have a current dog tags. You could have gone and claimed your dog. It is illegal in the state of Ohio for dogs to run at large.
thank you for raising that point. i kinda got the impression from the post that the dog was removed from her property against her will - did not think that it might have been picked up on the street.
Coach

Naples, FL

#9 Feb 24, 2009
Your dog would not be taken if it was contained. Your dog would not be euthanized if there was no proof it attacked someone OR it's owner did not claim it. Even if your tags were expired, you could have made it right.
I KNOW there had to be a bite or an aggressive action or the dog would not have been euthanized. I would love to find out if the OWNER went to the hearing.... there is always a hearing before a dog is euthanized.
Is this grand-standing after the fact that the animal was at large, attacked and NO ONE went to court on the dog's behalf. I would really like to know.
rooster

Cable, OH

#10 Feb 25, 2009
Coach wrote:
Your dog would not be taken if it was contained. Your dog would not be euthanized if there was no proof it attacked someone OR it's owner did not claim it. Even if your tags were expired, you could have made it right.
I KNOW there had to be a bite or an aggressive action or the dog would not have been euthanized. I would love to find out if the OWNER went to the hearing.... there is always a hearing before a dog is euthanized.
Is this grand-standing after the fact that the animal was at large, attacked and NO ONE went to court on the dog's behalf. I would really like to know.
WoW!!! your eyes are wide open....thank you
cindy

United States

#11 Feb 25, 2009
I am very sorry for the family whose pet was "put down", but if the dog WAS roaming the neighborhood something had to be done. In my area we have a problem with a loose dog. We had a new family move into a house down the street who allows their jack russel terrier to run loose in the mornings and when she gets home from work. There are 8 dogs on my street alone. I own 3 of them. We do not have fenced in yards, but we are respectful of the leash law. It is rude to allow your dog can run aroung untethered. These roaming dogs pee on everything, dig through trash, poop in peoples' yard, and sometimes are vicious. My husband almost shot one of our neighbors dogs a couple of years ago. The breed of the dog is not important, but we kindly asked our neighbors numerous times to keep their dog on a leash and they refused. The dog tried to attack my oldest son, my husband, and myself. The last time , it had me trapped beside our neighbors house. I had to call the law because our neighbors thought that their dog was incapable of being vicious. The law did nothing, but the day the dog came after me again my husband was able to come to my rescue. Once my neighbors saw a pistol pointed at their "beloved" pet, they new we meant buisness. They finally got rid of the dog and moved.
I know this makes us sound like barbarians, but sometimes there's just nothing else you can do. I have three dogs whom I love very much, and I never like the idea of an animal being put down. Thousands of animals are put down every year because of irresponible owners. If you cannot take proper care and responsibility of an animal DO NOT get one.
Jonathan

Peoria, AZ

#12 Feb 26, 2009
There is something wrong about the system or the story. I know here in Phoenix, Arizona the law is very strict but somehow fair. Even though dog owner here treated & dog life style is different from Montana.
cindy

United States

#13 Feb 26, 2009
Jonathan wrote:
There is something wrong about the system or the story. I know here in Phoenix, Arizona the law is very strict but somehow fair. Even though dog owner here treated & dog life style is different from Montana.
My guess would be the story. I cannot imagine a dog being put down just because a neighbor made one complaint. It does not make any sense. I think the person who began this thread needs to reply with more detail.

“Happiness is an attitude”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#14 Feb 26, 2009
I wouldn't live in a town where I had to get permission to own a dog. That's just crazy!
1crazybch

Pensacola, FL

#15 Feb 27, 2009
well, first off--he was up to date and tagged, I proved that in court-second it was a joined effort by my neighbors to make several calls a week to animal control--they did not ever physically pick my dog up and impound him for roaming--when they arrived my dog was in the house--neighbors are liars and third he was not and never had been aggressive--only victim of discrimination against his breed. The animal control and the cops did what they had to do to keep a few higher class military neighborhood happy. So what happens....the minority lost--us mid class hard working animal lovers.
1crazybch

Pensacola, FL

#16 Feb 27, 2009
and i moved out of santa rosa county.
cindy

United States

#17 Feb 28, 2009
Seeing as though you went through the trouble of moving, I'm sure your story is legit. It is terrible what happened to you and I'm sorry for your loss. I have three dogs myself and I would be heartbroken if anything were to happen to them.
Did your dog have a history of roaming the neighborhood?

“Happiness is an attitude”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#18 Feb 28, 2009
1crazybch wrote:
and i moved out of santa rosa county.
Good for you! I would be telling every rescue, ASPCA, vet, etc about this (most probaly know already) ASAP!

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

#19 Feb 28, 2009
Allymaeshine wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you! I would be telling every rescue, ASPCA, vet, etc about this (most probaly know already) ASAP!
including going to the media.

“Get The Balance Right”

Burnaby, Canada

#20 Feb 28, 2009
1crazybch wrote:
well, first off--he was up to date and tagged, I proved that in court-second it was a joined effort by my neighbors to make several calls a week to animal control--they did not ever physically pick my dog up and impound him for roaming--when they arrived my dog was in the house--neighbors are liars and third he was not and never had been aggressive--only victim of discrimination against his breed. The animal control and the cops did what they had to do to keep a few higher class military neighborhood happy. So what happens....the minority lost--us mid class hard working animal lovers.
i truly feel for you. i have an "outside dog" (her choice not mine LOL) and to acomodate her, i built a huge camp with her own heated house for her. she seems to think the entire village is her domain - she has a big 'territory" base, and its an endless battle of wits between her and myself as to who will win the 'fence" war. yeah she's licenced, spayed, fat, as good natured as you get and a bundle of energy, loves ppl, and is one of the worst escape artists i have ever owned. she simply loves wide open spaces, and every now and then i get a call at work saying my dog is visiting one of her other human friends and neighbours and needs a ride home....

if i lived in a city, she would have been killed on the roads long ago. if the "littlest hobo' was reincarnated, it would be my dog lol. i cannot imagine anyone wanting to slaughter her on one of her "freedom' vendettas.
cindy

United States

#21 Feb 28, 2009
objective wrote:
<quoted text>
i truly feel for you. i have an "outside dog" (her choice not mine LOL) and to acomodate her, i built a huge camp with her own heated house for her. she seems to think the entire village is her domain - she has a big 'territory" base, and its an endless battle of wits between her and myself as to who will win the 'fence" war. yeah she's licenced, spayed, fat, as good natured as you get and a bundle of energy, loves ppl, and is one of the worst escape artists i have ever owned. she simply loves wide open spaces, and every now and then i get a call at work saying my dog is visiting one of her other human friends and neighbours and needs a ride home....
if i lived in a city, she would have been killed on the roads long ago. if the "littlest hobo' was reincarnated, it would be my dog lol. i cannot imagine anyone wanting to slaughter her on one of her "freedom' vendettas.
That's funny.:) A friend of mine has a similar issue with his German Shepard. He is retired and lives in the country. The dog has a 600 acre farm that she has all to herself. When he leaves, she will follow his truck out of the "holler" so he puts her in a large outdoor kennel. I must say that I have never known a dog who could chew through a chain link kennel until I met "Heidi". LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pets Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baby Egyptian Fruit Bats for sale (Apr '12) 23 hr Jaybird 54
Healthy and gorgeous tiger cubs for sale to exp... (Feb '12) Dec 24 Alayham 61
cute and adorable capuchin monkey for adoption ... (Mar '13) Dec 23 jade 31
Police constables thanked for rescuing pet dog ... Dec 22 seems a story mis... 1
Siberian Husky Puppies ( Blue Eyes ) for free a... (Apr '12) Dec 20 Dijon 228
Budweiser Clydesdales coming to Columbus Dec.10... Dec 17 Will Dockery 2
Tips on handling wildcats Dec 16 mexicanbeaner 1
More from around the web