LETTER: Keep your dogs out of stores

Apr 2, 2014 Full story: York Dispatch 14

I was at Wal-Mart on Loucks Road on March 7, talking with my nephew, when a family passed by and had their pet dog in the grocery cart, sitting where you would sit your child.

Full Story
Truthteller

Larkspur, CA

#1 Apr 2, 2014
So what? I would be more worried about all the germs from the kids butts that have sat there.
Pet defender

Pahrump, NV

#2 Apr 4, 2014
Children are around more germs at school. Seriously, schools are just gross with germs. I wouldn't worry about someones pet!

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#3 Apr 8, 2014
Pets do not belong in stores unless they are service dogs that a person legitimately requires while in the store or it is a pet oriented store that allows pets inside. And never bring a dog who isn't housebroken in any store.
Rachel

Lake Forest, CA

#4 May 11, 2014
Bottom line is that stores have a no pet policy. Service animals only. Society is being broken down by all the spoiled, entitled people that believe that the store policies do not apply to them and their beloved pets should be able to accompany them everywhere they go. I am an animal lover and own two dogs but they do not belong in retail stores.
It is out of control and ridiculous!
Scam Alert

Pomona, CA

#5 May 12, 2014
Rachel wrote:
Bottom line is that stores have a no pet policy. Service animals only. Society is being broken down by all the spoiled, entitled people that believe that the store policies do not apply to them and their beloved pets should be able to accompany them everywhere they go. I am an animal lover and own two dogs but they do not belong in retail stores.
OMG there was a pet dog in a store!!! The world is going to end!!!

Many stores welcome pets as long as they are well-behaved and on a leash.

You are entitled to keep your own dogs at home just as stores, restaurants, and other businesses are entitled to allow dogs in their establishments.
Beady bums dogs

Melbourne, Australia

#6 May 25, 2014
Keep Beady out too
Beady bums dogs

Melbourne, Australia

#8 May 25, 2014
G0 Le Gay slumDOG G0 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fixed.
Go Le Gay Beady Go
Anonymous

United States

#9 Jun 9, 2014
That's right. Pet owners (like smokers) should keep it out of stores. Just because you're not bothered by your pets, doesn't mean other people aren't. Some are allergic to dogs. Others are terrified of dogs. And furthermore, I won't be too thrilled to buy a loaf of bread with dog hairs on it. Don't be a selfish douchebag. Keep your dog out of public stores.
Bob

Pomona, CA

#10 Jun 9, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
That's right. Pet owners (like smokers) should keep it out of stores. Just because you're not bothered by your pets, doesn't mean other people aren't. Some are allergic to dogs. Others are terrified of dogs. And furthermore, I won't be too thrilled to buy a loaf of bread with dog hairs on it. Don't be a selfish douchebag. Keep your dog out of public stores.
Depends on the kind of store -

Grocery stores no, cause pets shouldn't be around food.

Any other kind of store - sure, why not?

Again, it's not up to you to set store policy, it's up to the store.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THAT A STORE ALLOWS DOGS, TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.
myrrie

Tremonton, UT

#11 Jun 12, 2014
I can see more than 1 side to this argument. I am thankful that some stores do allow pets...especially when weather is summer like. The pet can not be left in a car, same reason you don't leave a child in a car. If your dog is traveling with you,(as many pet owner has just purchased and is traveling a long distance, if there is not another person traveling with the owner--the only safe avenue is to keep the pet with you.) Even with allergies, and fear of dogs--the safety of the pet over rides the decision to take the pet into the store. If the dog sits, and is well behaved in the cart, those that are allergic, or afraid still have their own choice to keep their distance.
I am not advocating disrespect for rules, I also believe the owner can put down a protecting cover, before the pet sits--it feels much better for the dog rather than the wires, and when the owner takes the cover out of the cart, no left behind evidence that a pet was there. I am very thankful that there are stores like Petsmart that encourage and welcome your pet as you shop for the things you need for your new pet. Many pet owners must travel many miles with their pet during lenghty moves or purchases, and of course, some retailers realizing they do not want to alienate potential customers will accept furry children that are well behaved or in the process of learning. In this case, your attitude is your own problem.
Barbara

Ketchikan, AK

#12 Jun 22, 2014
Notice!!! Do not order any animal from Abigale & James Whatley I ordered a small Yorkie and waited 9 month's. They stole my money.
Refused to refund my money $400.00.They steal your money and trick you into waiting because the puppy is too tiny!!!
They live in Mooresville,Mo.64664
Bob

Studio City, CA

#13 Jun 22, 2014
Barbara wrote:
Notice!!! Do not order any animal from Abigale & James Whatley I ordered a small Yorkie and waited 9 month's. They stole my money.
Refused to refund my money $400.00.They steal your money and trick you into waiting because the puppy is too tiny!!!
Please post their phone number, website and email address.
Practical Polly

Alpharetta, GA

#14 Jun 26, 2014
Rachel wrote:
Rachel: Perhaps you meant to say, "stores that are not dog friendly" have a no pet policy. Live in a city..... ever? People take their dogs in stores everywhere in Chicago. It's really no big deal. It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with practicality if you are out with your dog (on foot) and need to quickly step in a store, you do. "out of control" - You obviously live a sheltered life.
Practical Polly

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Jun 26, 2014
Barbara wrote:
Barbara: "Notice" - Do people really "order" dogs still? There are plenty of Yorkie's on death row today because of over population, over breeding, and people that order dogs.

Approximately 3.9 million dogs enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Each year, approximately 1.2 million dogs are euthanized. Approximately 1.4 million shelter animals are adopted each year.
About 542,000 dogs enter shelters as strays and are returned to their owners. Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.
About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, approximately 40% of pet owners learned about their pet through word of mouth. The majority of pets are obtained from acquaintances and family members. 28% of dogs are purchased from breeders, and 29% of dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues.
According to the American Humane Association, the most common reasons why people relinquish or give away their dogs is because their place of residence does not allow pets (29%), not enough time, divorce/death and behavior issues (10% each).
As long as people continue to SHOP and not ADOPT, the numbers are hard to beat. We must do something to STOP PUPPY MILLS. The link is a tip from Buddy - My Foster Fail.
It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs live in the United States. The average number of litters a fertile dog produces is one a year; the average number of puppies is four to six.
Owned dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.
Many strays are lost pets who were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.
Only 10% of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 83% of pet dogs are spayed or neutered. The cost of spaying or neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies for a year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pets Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Healthy and gorgeous tiger cubs for sale to exp... (Feb '12) 12 hr Alayham 61
cute and adorable capuchin monkey for adoption ... (Mar '13) Tue jade 31
Police constables thanked for rescuing pet dog ... Mon seems a story mis... 1
Siberian Husky Puppies ( Blue Eyes ) for free a... (Apr '12) Dec 20 Dijon 228
Budweiser Clydesdales coming to Columbus Dec.10... Dec 17 Will Dockery 2
Tips on handling wildcats Dec 16 mexicanbeaner 1
free puppies to good home (Jan '09) Dec 13 liz 579
More from around the web