Emboldened, gay marriage activists eye 50 states

There are 15 comments on the The Northwestern in Oshkosh story from Nov 2, 2013, titled Emboldened, gay marriage activists eye 50 states. In it, The Northwestern in Oshkosh reports that:

The Supreme Court ruling that struck down parts of the Defense of Marriage Act in June opened the door to an explosion of activity by gay marriage proponents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Northwestern in Oshkosh.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Nov 2, 2013
21 states now have ongoing lawsuits challenging their marriage bans.

Legislative action is taking place as well in 3 of those- HI, IL, NV.

Civil disobedience (clerks issuing licenses even though banned) is occurring in 3 states as well- NM, PA, NC.

And ballot measures are underway or planned for 2014/16 in 4 states- OR, OH, CO, & MI.

That's what a BIGASS snowball rolling downhill looks like!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#2 Nov 2, 2013
Little did I imagine in the late 60's, when I joined the movement, that things would reach this far in my lifetime. It is one thing to see it happening day-to-day. It is quite another thing to view it from this point back to then. I cannot put into words the pleasure I experience when I do so.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#3 Nov 2, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Civil disobedience (clerks issuing licenses even though banned) is occurring in 3 states as well- NM, PA, NC.
Those clerks should be fired.

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Nov 2, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
That's certainly a risk you take when you commit acts of civil disobedience as a public employee.

Just as those clerks who refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples in states with marriage equality should be fired as well.

I have no problem with people standing by their convictions; but that also comes risks they must be willing to accept.

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Nov 2, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Little did I imagine in the late 60's, when I joined the movement, that things would reach this far in my lifetime. It is one thing to see it happening day-to-day. It is quite another thing to view it from this point back to then. I cannot put into words the pleasure I experience when I do so.
I have to concur 100%.

While it can seem frustratingly slow when viewing it day to day- like the ridiculous situation going on in Hawaii right now. But when viewed over even the past 5 years the pace of change is nothing short of extraordinary.

And the next 5 years will likely be the culmination of those decades of struggle.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#7 Nov 2, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I wondered who had slapped the above posts with frowny icons, what a surprise it was you.

Cletus, in about 5 years it will all be over. Gay rights will be universal in this country, in fact, it will be moot and no one will even understand why it was a problem to being with.

I don't know if you're old enough to recall the early days of civil rights of African Americans, but back when I was young iin 1968 Petula Clark grabbed Harry Belafonte's arm during a song on her TV special. The sponsors went nuts and wanted the shot edited out. Petula was the producer and said no way. The spin was incredible and led to new inclusion of African Americans on TV more often. Would you be upset at seeing a white woman touch a black man's arm today? No one would be, unless those writhing in racism.

The incredible changes in this year alone concerning gay rights are overwhelming. Even I've been surprised by it, so guys like you are probably choking on it.. It's scaring you to death, isn't it? Just "think of England" which is what Victorian mothers told their daughters on their wedding day, preparing them for sex.

So, from now on, just think of England when you get scared.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#8 Nov 2, 2013
to BEGIN with....not BEING with.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9 Nov 2, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I wondered who had slapped the above posts with frowny icons, what a surprise it was you.
Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere, I don't judge people. I just oppose law breakers and gay marriage.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#10 Nov 2, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere, I don't judge people. I just oppose law breakers and gay marriage.
hahahahahahah

You don't judge people?

ahahahahha
ahhahahahaha
ahahahahha

Mkay.......

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Nov 2, 2013
FULLY HOMOSEXUALIZING the states one by one !

The PLAN is working !:)

(with apologies to felon Pete McGowan)

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#12 Nov 2, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil marriage, Cletus. You oppose civil marriage for same-sex couples.

The only place you'll find such a legal instrument called a "gay marriage certificate" is right next to the "interracial marriage certificate" or "interfaith marriage certificate."

And without any legitimate basis for denying civil marriage solely because of the sex of the partners, state bans based on sex will continue to fall until all states recognize civil marriage for same-sex couples.

You are losing. The rest of the country is gaining.
Larry

Mesquite, TX

#13 Nov 2, 2013
Boots on the ground. Marriage in all 50 states by 2016, YES.YES.YES.
I love my man and can not wait tell we can also be treated as a couple in love and just trying to enjoy life like everyone else should be able to.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#14 Nov 14, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
FULLY HOMOSEXUALIZING the states one by one !
The PLAN is working !:)
(with apologies to felon Pete McGowan)
Please name the person who was turned homosexual by marriage equality.

There is no such thing as "homosexualizing." It's not happening. This is about justice, not homosexuality. It's about equality. Nothing else. And when gay marriage is legally recognized in all 50 states, not a SINGLE person will be more gay than they were back when hate and discrimination were cool and ignorance reigned supreme.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Nov 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no such thing as a "gay marriage." You mean you support discrimination and bigotry. Meaning you DO judge people, based upon a harmless trait they do no choose and cannot change. Making you not only judgmental, but pretty damn stupid.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#16 Nov 14, 2013
OkieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>
Please name the person who was turned homosexual by marriage equality.
There is no such thing as "homosexualizing." It's not happening. This is about justice, not homosexuality. It's about equality. Nothing else. And when gay marriage is legally recognized in all 50 states, not a SINGLE person will be more gay than they were back when hate and discrimination were cool and ignorance reigned supreme.
You're a NUT !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Lawmakers Re-introduce Bill to Crack Down o... 1 hr ronnie 2
News 2 babies die, 29 sickened from bad vaccines in ... 3 hr Arcanaknight 9
do you have pain ? 5 hr bob 1
News Lost generations 8 hr bac ky goc 3tau lao 6
News It's Sheryl Crow vs. Duggars in Mo. (Oct '12) 10 hr Tazo 42
News Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) Thu racism is wrong 92
News Free tax preparation available starting on Jan. 20 May 20 marc 3
More from around the web