Seniors would see smaller Social Secu...

Seniors would see smaller Social Security checks under Obama budget due to chained CPI

There are 99 comments on the money.cnn.com story from Apr 10, 2013, titled Seniors would see smaller Social Security checks under Obama budget due to chained CPI. In it, money.cnn.com reports that:

The budget plan, being released Wednesday, calls for changing the way the annual cost of living adjustments for Social Security and other federal programs are calculated.

The budget plan, being released Wednesday, calls for changing the way the annual cost of living adjustments for Social Security and other federal programs are calculated. Shifting to "chained CPI" from the current inflation measure could reduce the federal debt by $230 billion, but it would also mean that seniors would get smaller increases in their Social Security payments each year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at money.cnn.com.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#64 Apr 17, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a cut. When you can afford one loaf of bread a week, and the price goes up by 50% and your increase is much less than that, you can no longer afford to eat. Wait another year or two, and inflation causes the price to go up much higher, then you are in abject poverty, and Social Security has no reason to exist. Try living on the wages you earned in 1968. Without adjustments, you could not purchase food and shelter.
You must be a Democrat if you think an smaller increase is a "cut".

Their check will still be bigger than it was the year before.

$4 a month is one cup of Starbucks coffee, or 2 poweball tickets, or a half a pack of smokes.

I think they can afford it.
tomuch

Roseville, MI

#65 Apr 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM blaming the terrorists- the Teabagger terrorists.
Blaming the Tea Party.

I blame Obama.

So far

Fort hood

The underware bomber

Benghazi

Boston Marathon

Your president is useless when it comes to keeping Americans safe.

Tawas City, Michigan

#66 Apr 20, 2013
tomuch wrote:
<quoted text>
Blaming the Tea Party.
I blame Obama.
So far
Fort hood
The underware bomber
Benghazi
Boston Marathon
Your president is useless when it comes to keeping Americans safe.
Less killed under Obama than under Shrub.

And Obama actually caught or killed Bin Ladan as well as the Fort Hood shooter, the underwear bomber and of course the most recent Boston terrorists.

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

#67 Apr 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And Obama actually caught or killed Bin Ladan as well as the Fort Hood shooter, the underwear bomber and of course the most recent Boston terrorists.
Obama caught them??? hahahahahahahaha. Hello, Obama can't even say the words "Islamic terroist".
You forgot to add he raised the dead, healed the sick and walked on water.
tomuch

Roseville, MI

#68 Apr 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah Alqaeda is on the run. lol.
tomuch

Roseville, MI

#69 Apr 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
$4 a month is one cup of Starbucks coffee, or 2 poweball tickets, or a half a pack of smokes.
Oh you are so smart.

Tell us again how the Tea Party took blame for the Marathon bombing.
tomuch

Roseville, MI

#70 Apr 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Boston terrorists. As in the Tea Party who you said was responsible.

These attacks should have never taken place under Obama and his lax stance on terrorism.

Tawas City, Michigan

#72 Apr 21, 2013
tomuch wrote:
<quoted text>
Boston terrorists. As in the Tea Party who you said was responsible.
These attacks should have never taken place under Obama and his lax stance on terrorism.
Ditto 9/11 under Shrub.....
tomuch

Roseville, MI

#73 Apr 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto 9/11 under Shrub.....
Liar. You said the Boston bombing was done by the Tea Party.
Don Joe

Maple Grove, MN

#74 Apr 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
People are homeless and starving and you think they can just get by without a cup of Starbucks coffee. Probably never had a cup from Starbucks in their lives.
tomuch

Roseville, MI

#75 Apr 22, 2013
Where is that lying sheep at?

Tawas City, Michigan

#76 Apr 22, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
People are homeless and starving and you think they can just get by without a cup of Starbucks coffee. Probably never had a cup from Starbucks in their lives.
Okay, one less pack of smokes a month or one less bottle of booze.

Tawas City, Michigan

#77 Apr 22, 2013
tomuch wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. You said the Boston bombing was done by the Tea Party.
Yep, they were both card carrying members of the Teabaggers.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#78 Apr 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, one less pack of smokes a month or one less bottle of booze.
I suppose we could continue to propagate the myth that the poor are rich. That they get so much money from the government for not working that they can afford anything and everything they want. No one ever goes hungry because they gave their food to their children. No one ever died for lack of medical care.

No, the poor are rich and don't let anyone tell you they aren't.

Tawas City, Michigan

#79 Apr 23, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose we could continue to propagate the myth that the poor are rich. That they get so much money from the government for not working that they can afford anything and everything they want. No one ever goes hungry because they gave their food to their children. No one ever died for lack of medical care.
No, the poor are rich and don't let anyone tell you they aren't.
And how many of those are receiving social security?

Very few.

And they STILL have money for alcohol or cigs or lottery tickets.

It's $4 per month.

Allentown, PA

#80 Apr 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many of those are receiving social security?
Very few.
And they STILL have money for alcohol or cigs or lottery tickets.
It's $4 per month.
i think we should cut pensions for able bodied vets. No reason for them to be sitting around collecting a check while Barack Obama throws old people under the bus.

Tawas City, Michigan

#82 Apr 23, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
i think we should cut pensions for able bodied vets. No reason for them to be sitting around collecting a check while Barack Obama throws old people under the bus.
Actually my pension will be "cut" by the same amount as social security checks since they use the same CPI calculation. So in reality I'll be receiving a double "cut" when I start receiving social security as well.

I can live with that, as can everyone else.

Allentown, PA

#83 Apr 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually my pension will be "cut" by the same amount as social security checks since they use the same CPI calculation. So in reality I'll be receiving a double "cut" when I start receiving social security as well.
Maybe I should have said it this way, get rid of the pensions for any able bodied ex-military. No reason someone who is perfectly healthy should be collecting a check while feeble old people have to skrimp. Maybe when you're 75 you'll appreciate the argument, more so if your health goes down the crapper.
Anyway, Barack Obama, the man you have such a slavish devotion to already said you have it too good.
Don Joe

Maple Grove, MN

#84 Apr 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. so you were one of few who didn't have Bain Capital as an investor, eliminating all the pensions, by giving them to Romney. He made millions soaking up all that pension money. It used to be illegal, but Romney had great lobbyists.

Tawas City, Michigan

#86 Apr 24, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I should have said it this way, get rid of the pensions for any able bodied ex-military. No reason someone who is perfectly healthy should be collecting a check while feeble old people have to skrimp. Maybe when you're 75 you'll appreciate the argument, more so if your health goes down the crapper.
Anyway, Barack Obama, the man you have such a slavish devotion to already said you have it too good.
You can say it however you want. I earned my military pension; what have you done for our country?

Feeble old people get their social security & medicare for doing nothing other than breathing.

They'll be just fine too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 6 min WasteWater 9,759
Decision 18 min Dave B 1
News San Jose Activists Vow To Fight On In Wake Of S... Fri spytheweb 4
Social Security Disability Jun 21 miranda 2
News Commentary: How the US Supreme Court may change... Jun 21 tomin cali 1
Social Security Disability if you are in college Jun 20 Alice587 1
own payee - review ? Jun 18 qmuddy2 1
More from around the web