Republican Senator McConnell rules ou...

Republican Senator McConnell rules out more taxes in fiscal fight

There are 111 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 6, 2013, titled Republican Senator McConnell rules out more taxes in fiscal fight. In it, Reuters reports that:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Sunday ruled out raising tax revenues on top of the tax hike on the wealthy in the "fiscal cliff" deal, and said the full focus must now be on spending cuts to curb U.S. deficits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Since: Oct 08

Atlanta, GA

#21 Jan 6, 2013
when they run out of the rich, you're next.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#22 Jan 6, 2013
Obama just signed the law raising taxes on the working people 2%. I mean someone making $50K a year can surely afford another $1,000 tax. What happened to this promise by Obama:

"No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes,"

Heís not looking for votes any longer, so I guess he figured we could afford it. What's next?

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#23 Jan 6, 2013
Lance Winslow wrote:
McConnell is irrelevant. He speaks for an impotent gaggle of losers: Senate Republicans.
yeah, lance. but YOU'RE relevant...right?

LMAO!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#24 Jan 6, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Obama just signed the law raising taxes on the working people 2%. I mean someone making $50K a year can surely afford another $1,000 tax. What happened to this promise by Obama:
"No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes,"
Heís not looking for votes any longer, so I guess he figured we could afford it. What's next?
Nope, he never said that.

But keep pretending he did.....

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#25 Jan 6, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, he never said that.
But keep pretending he did.....
They have this great thing called the internet, I'd give you the link, but you evidently need the practice. Hint - they even have video of Obama saying it. Don't get me wrong, Iím not saying you can believe what he said, just that he actually said it.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#31 Jan 7, 2013
Lance Winslow wrote:
McConnell is irrelevant. He speaks for an impotent gaggle of losers: Senate Republicans.
Yep, but the liberals are finding they were lied to about taxes going up.

CURL: Obama supporters shocked, angry at new tax increases
conservative crapola

Bethlehem, PA

#32 Jan 7, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
teapussy manufactured outrage: Day 62.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#33 Jan 7, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
They have this great thing called the internet, I'd give you the link, but you evidently need the practice. Hint - they even have video of Obama saying it. Don't get me wrong, Iím not saying you can believe what he said, just that he actually said it.
Yeah, and Fox "News" has video of Romney winning the presidency......

If you're too stupid to understand the difference between income taxes and payroll taxes then I can't help you.
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#34 Jan 7, 2013
Repubs are done. Lies and liars from frauds. And this if after watching the insane progressive Dems march to to the American destruction and the rise of world government.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#35 Jan 7, 2013
Time to rule Sen. Fishface out of his job in Washington. He's the enemy of America's economy and Americans in general, just playing partisan games to try to gain power and control.

He's a traitor. Deal with him appropriately.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#36 Jan 7, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
He did say that, why the lies? Didn't you see it on al-jazeera?
Show us where Mr. Obama has raised middle class taxes 2%, which was the claim. Prove it or apologize.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#37 Jan 7, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
They have this great thing called the internet, I'd give you the link, but you evidently need the practice. Hint - they even have video of Obama saying it. Don't get me wrong, Iím not saying you can believe what he said, just that he actually said it.
If you had any evidence, YOU'D give it. That's what you do when making a claim - support it. No one's doing your homework for you.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#38 Jan 7, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us where Mr. Obama has raised middle class taxes 2%, which was the claim. Prove it or apologize.
They're referring to the social security payroll tax going back to the normal 6.2%

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#40 Jan 7, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They're referring to the social security payroll tax going back to the normal 6.2%
Thanks, finally saw a link on another thread (it was to the Moonie Times, but at least I saw what they were talking about!).

Leave it to Righties to confuse SS withholding returning to normal with an increase in federal income taxes. Clueless.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#41 Jan 7, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, finally saw a link on another thread (it was to the Moonie Times, but at least I saw what they were talking about!).
Leave it to Righties to confuse SS withholding returning to normal with an increase in federal income taxes. Clueless.
Who's clueless?
When the Social Security Act went into effect in 1935, the tax rate for BOTH employers and employees COMBINED was 2% on the first $3000 of taxable income. The act provided for increases to 6%(again employers and employees combined) but these increases were postponed until 1960.

"Normal" is not 6.2% for employers and another 6.2% for employees (totalling 12.4% combined). It never was. It just happened to be the rate established in 1990.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#42 Jan 7, 2013
SirPrize wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's clueless?
When the Social Security Act went into effect in 1935, the tax rate for BOTH employers and employees COMBINED was 2% on the first $3000 of taxable income. The act provided for increases to 6%(again employers and employees combined) but these increases were postponed until 1960.
"Normal" is not 6.2% for employers and another 6.2% for employees (totalling 12.4% combined). It never was. It just happened to be the rate established in 1990.
Clue: it's not 1935 anymore...:)

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#43 Jan 7, 2013
Additional clue: it's not 1990 anymore, either...:)

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#44 Jan 7, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They're referring to the social security payroll tax going back to the normal 6.2%
What? The social security payroll TAX is not a tax? I get, progressive logic. You guys are good.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#45 Jan 7, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Clue: it's not 1935 anymore...:)
Clue: "And finally, beginning in 1949, 12 years from now, you and your employer will each pay 3 cents on each dollar you earn, up to $3,000 a year. That is the most you will ever pay."
[The 1936 Government Pamphlet on Social Security." United States Social Security Administration. http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ssb36.html ]

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#46 Jan 7, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
What? The social security payroll TAX is not a tax? I get, progressive logic. You guys are good.
Who said a tax wasn't a tax? Your side's pretending this was a "tax increase" when in fact it's Social Security payroll withholding returning to its normal, pre-'tax holiday' level of 6.2%.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
social security disability cuts ? 22 min Prince John 2
News Poor and disabled big losers in Trump budget; m... 25 min Prince John 1
News Trump budget director defends social safety net... 5 hr Red Crosse 22
News Trump calls to cut off tax breaks for illegal i... 9 hr Red Crosse 15
News Presidenta s 2018 budget to include paid family... 17 hr ABMESSINA1947 25
News Republicans already giving Trump's budget a col... May 24 Stop and Think 24
News She thought Trump would deport 'bad hombres.' I... May 24 Dee Dee Dee 5
More from around the web