Planning Commission says yes to closing Third St.

Feb 19, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Portsmouth Daily Times

The members of the City Planning Commission, voted unanimously Tuesday to close Third Street between Gay Street and Waller Street.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
whatever

United States

#1 Feb 20, 2013
Well now. The baby bears won't have to cross that busy busy street. Make sure you put a playground in your plans so the little bears can play and climb.
Embarassed

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Feb 20, 2013
Pitiful, Im going to open up a bubble wrap co down there.
Walter White

Portsmouth, OH

#3 Feb 20, 2013
Might as well close it. It's not like Athens, where you can drive through campus and it's no big deal. Around these parts we have far too many people who are chronically drugged out of their skulls and running wild. I wouldn't blame Shawnee if they wanted to put a fence up around the entire campus.

Until Portsmouth cleans up it's act I don't blame the University for anything they do to try to retain enrollment. It would be different if the scum and villainy lived in a different part of town from the University. As it is the rejects and the students live right on top of each other and that's a problem. The problem is Portsmouth, not the University.
this is stupid

Portsmouth, OH

#4 Feb 20, 2013
so because college students can't seem to grasp the concept of a damn crosswalk, we're going to divert ALL the traffic, including firetrucks (which use 3rd regularly to 4th, right by the elementary school?? Like the parkinglot for p.e.s. on 4th isnt enough of a cluster fuq already? This is ridiculous. yes, lets put the college kids safty crossing a street above that of small children. mark my words, a child will get hit because of this. First they try to use eminent domain against the homeowners so they can build their housing, now that take over 3rd street forcing traffic by the elementary school to more than double. when will the leaders of portsmouth stop kissing ssu ASZ AND DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR ITS CITIZENS FOR A CHANGE?
this is stupid

Portsmouth, OH

#6 Feb 20, 2013
here's a novel idea, rather than close 3rd, and divert traffic by our school, why not just build a damn overhead walkway like you see at many hospitals....the ssu students can still cross without fear of cars unless the continue to break the law (yea I said it BREAK THE LAW) with their jay walking and 3rd street can stay open for traffic INCLUDING the fire trucks and portsmouth pd. oh and to ssu...you have your own friggin police force now....TRY USING IT!!! see someone speeding, pull them the hell over, see someone jay walking write a damn ticket! watch how many students start using the crosswalks when they start getting tickets for breaking the law....which THEY are doing. This isn't the pioneer west....you cant just say I want this land so it's mine geeze

and to our city leaders....grow a pair and start representing the citizens and not your frigging buddies with money...we know who lines your pockets and who's REAL interest you have at heart. do YOUR DAMN JOB or GTFO. you raise our water and property tax more often than most people in this town bathe. and for what? so you can bend over and take it from ssu and pretend to like it?
Crazy

Portsmouth, OH

#10 Feb 20, 2013
The whole thing is crazy. Shawnee State will get what it wants, why? Because city leaders are afraid of bucking the system...bottom line...MONEY
this is stupid

Portsmouth, OH

#11 Feb 20, 2013
Walter White wrote:
Might as well close it. It's not like Athens, where you can drive through campus and it's no big deal. Around these parts we have far too many people who are chronically drugged out of their skulls and running wild. I wouldn't blame Shawnee if they wanted to put a fence up around the entire campus.
Until Portsmouth cleans up it's act I don't blame the University for anything they do to try to retain enrollment. It would be different if the scum and villainy lived in a different part of town from the University. As it is the rejects and the students live right on top of each other and that's a problem. The problem is Portsmouth, not the University.
Hey walter, ever stop to think WHY portsmouth is the way it is??? they run off all the decent businesses that would provide jobs (which is why new boston is getting them all not us) the police wont do a damn thing to stop the druggies and prostitutes...the give a slap on the wrist or nothing at all if they rat out someone else. They WANT the property values to drop so that certain not to be named developers can buy the land out cheaply seeing as they can no longer claim eminent domain. Meran gets his women of the night off the hook cause he cant keep his pants on, and nothing gets done in this town because money talks. Certain people benefit from businesses not coming in and being competition, others by getting land cheap, and still others buy getting tax easements....portsmouth WONT get cleaned up until those in the courthouse and city building get cleaned OUT. Until then it will be the same select few doing whatever they please and getting whatever they want.
Duh

Apollo, PA

#13 Feb 21, 2013
If you people really think it's only about having the students cross the street you're clearly illiterate as it states in the article, it's part of SSU's Master Plan aka EXPANSION. You people should be glad as the place is the only thing this town has going for itself.
bad idea

Ashland, KY

#14 Feb 21, 2013
leave things the way they are.
meeee

United States

#15 Feb 21, 2013
Duh wrote:
If you people really think it's only about having the students cross the street you're clearly illiterate as it states in the article, it's part of SSU's Master Plan aka EXPANSION. You people should be glad as the place is the only thing this town has going for itself.
. Wait just a damn min,we have TWO hospitals,lol.
Crazy

Portsmouth, OH

#16 Feb 21, 2013
Duh wrote:
There's a Master Plan alright!!! But if that place is the only thing we have going for us why does most of the community not have a clue what is even going on down there and what does go on is catered to MONEY...ever try to get a ticket to the Vern Riffe Center for one of those "Broadway" things or any of their other events....this is freaking Portsmouth...if they are so concerned why not do a few things for us rather than keep taking from us....ask some of the teachers in this area who have tried to get jobs there....their pay scale is less than most public schools in the county...MASTER PLAN, take, take, take....
this is stupid

Portsmouth, OH

#17 Feb 21, 2013
Duh wrote:
if they want to put in a new building for nursing fine! they dont have to close 3rd street to do it. Again an overhead walkway would work JUST fine. What if MY master plan was to have a 10 acre yard? Does that give me the right to claim all the land around me including the roadways until I have that 10 acres? No. They have no regard for what this will do to the surrounding neighborhood. They dont care that this will affect traffic around our elementary school, or for that matter 23 coming off the bridge. All they see is dollar signs. If they want 3rd street that bad then let them BUY it from the city, with all funds going to repairing the roads in portsmouth (AND NOTHING ELSE, NO LINING OF POCKETS OR ALLOCATING TO OTHER STUFF AND YES THAT IS DIRECTED AT YOU COUNSEL AND MAYOR!!!) Let them foot the bill for widening 4th street and installing more lights. and make them buy land and build first christan church a new building seeing as they will be rendering that church useless with no way of accessing it. They want to expland, fine! but they will pay for everything they take! If their plan was to expand, them maybe they should have thought about that before setting up on a river bank in a heavily populated neighborhood and down town. You can't just take what you want because you want it, thats theft.
just remember

Portsmouth, OH

#18 Feb 21, 2013
It's your money they are using.
c s h

Waverly, OH

#19 Feb 21, 2013
Neil Hatcher enough said !!!!!!
Last Cowboy

Portsmouth, OH

#20 Feb 22, 2013
SSU = Sure Screwed you? All about the Bens for the unelected self appointed thug leaders?

Rename third street Johnson Way? He is the real problem that puts this sheet together for anybody he deems crooked/smart enough and whomever will take care of his SCAF or any of the other not for profits (circus de art-museum-floodwall murals-main street-SCAF-Martings and so much more.

Untill Johnson and his thug buddies get out of business, this town remains DEAD. Watch how nice Ockerman at the Lofts does, Johnson has the penthouse. It is all in whos cock you wanna suck on.
Crazy

Portsmouth, OH

#23 Feb 22, 2013
Not that this matters, but does Hatcher ever use union workers for any of his construction projects? I know he has his own company...sounds like its gonna be busy again!
Idea

Columbus, OH

#24 Feb 22, 2013
Have a mandatory class at Shawnee State on how to cross the street.
time for change

Portsmouth, OH

#25 Feb 23, 2013
what traffic ? is it really going to kill you to drive one more road north to get to the east end of portsmouth? i think it should be diverted to 5th st , 5th st is the main east / west bound route through town..
Holy cow

Portsmouth, OH

#26 Feb 23, 2013
It is sad that this such as SMALL TOWN an you all act as though it's a Metropolis or something. Good God SMH. It's obvious the majority of yo have never ventured further than Ashland. How tell me how do you all survive or wipe your butts for that matter. Can you actually imagine being the exchange students or students from other states calling home and telling their family,, we cant even cross a slow 2 lane road. Embarrassing.
O Dot

Portsmouth, OH

#27 Feb 24, 2013
Closing Third Street???What is Shawnee State thinking?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Numbers of homeless increase in region Tue Karen 5
ssi Aug 26 mike 1
Treasury Secretary Pleads for Higher Taxes, Mor... (Oct '13) Aug 26 OH YES WE CAN 24
disabled warning on philippines travel Aug 25 LivetheresoIknow 1
the open klan trash pedophiles (Nov '13) Aug 24 shnuffmo Piggy 10
JUMP TO MORE ON diaperheads (Dec '13) Aug 24 shnuffmo Piggy 45
Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) Aug 22 Amelia Gillian 76
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Social Security People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••