Who Are Mitt Romney's 47 Percent? A Breakdown

There are 104 comments on the www.npr.org story from Sep 20, 2012, titled Who Are Mitt Romney's 47 Percent? A Breakdown. In it, www.npr.org reports that:

Just which 47 percent of Americans was Mitt Romney talking about? It's hard to say. He lumped together three different ways of sorting people in what he's called less-than-elegant remarks.

Each of those three groups — likely Obama voters, people who get federal benefits and people who don't pay federal income taxes — contains just under half of all Americans, in the neighborhood of 47 percent at a given moment. There's some overlap, but the three groups are quite distinct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.npr.org.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 20, 2012
There won't be anybody left at all if Obama allows the terrorists to kill our ambassadors and doesn't do dick about it. He can't protect the 47% from terrorist attacks. I know Romney can.
Romney Heals. Obama Steals.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#2 Sep 20, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
There won't be anybody left at all if Obama allows the terrorists to kill our ambassadors and doesn't do dick about it. He can't protect the 47% from terrorist attacks. I know Romney can.
Romney Heals. Obama Steals.
Romney is just a dithering prettyboy, who hasn't the first idea of national defense.

Making money from sucking the life out of American workers is not really preparation for anything, except an Anne Rice novel.

gossamer

Warren, MI

#3 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Romney is just a dithering prettyboy, who hasn't the first idea of national defense.
Making money from sucking the life out of American workers is not really preparation for anything, except an Anne Rice novel.
What does this have to do with this thread?

Just like a Liberal.
gossamer

Warren, MI

#4 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
For those of you who think that Mitt would truly not “worry about those people” as president, may I remind you of two stories?

First .. when the 14-year-old daughter of a Bain employee went missing in New York City, Romney shut down Bain Capital in Boston and moved almost the entire staff to NYC. He set up a war room in a hotel and enlisted the aid of Bain connections to find the girl. When they found her the doctors said she might not have had more than a day to live. This is a man who doesn’t care?

And here’s a story you probably haven’t heard. Romney was running against Ted Kennedy for Kennedy’s Senate seat in Massachusetts. As a Senatorial candidate Romney toured the VA hospital near Boston. While touring the hospital Romney discovered that there was not enough money to buy dairy products for sick soldiers. Romney reviewed the VA medical center’s books to see if there was any funny stuff going on. Everything looked fine, so Romney asked the administrators what they needed. They said they needed milk. Romney made some remark about how he had learned how to milk a cow .. then left. The next Friday the milkman arrived. A truck rolled up with 7000 pints of milk. The delivery man refused to tell the VA medical where the milk came from. When the man who delivered the milk finally retired about two years later he told the hospital staff where the milk came from. Mitt Romney.

Yeah … here’s a man who doesn’t care.

Now .. here’s a challenge for your proggies out there --- you Obama supporters. I want you to tell me one instance --- just ONE --- of Barack Obama stepping up as Mitt Romney has to show that he is a kind, caring and generous American. Just one.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#5 Sep 20, 2012
gossamer wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this have to do with this thread?
Just like a Liberal.
Ask half-pint, who I answered.

And I am an American, not a "liberal."

And just what are you, still supporting Romney?
Change your name from 'gossamer" to 'albatross.'
Or, perhaps, HINDENBERG.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#6 Sep 20, 2012
gossamer wrote:
<quoted text>
For those of you who think that Mitt would truly not “worry about those people” as president, may I remind you of two stories?
First .. when the 14-year-old daughter of a Bain employee went missing in New York City, Romney shut down Bain Capital in Boston and moved almost the entire staff to NYC. He set up a war room in a hotel and enlisted the aid of Bain connections to find the girl. When they found her the doctors said she might not have had more than a day to live. This is a man who doesn’t care?
And here’s a story you probably haven’t heard. Romney was running against Ted Kennedy for Kennedy’s Senate seat in Massachusetts. As a Senatorial candidate Romney toured the VA hospital near Boston. While touring the hospital Romney discovered that there was not enough money to buy dairy products for sick soldiers. Romney reviewed the VA medical center’s books to see if there was any funny stuff going on. Everything looked fine, so Romney asked the administrators what they needed. They said they needed milk. Romney made some remark about how he had learned how to milk a cow .. then left. The next Friday the milkman arrived. A truck rolled up with 7000 pints of milk. The delivery man refused to tell the VA medical where the milk came from. When the man who delivered the milk finally retired about two years later he told the hospital staff where the milk came from. Mitt Romney.
Yeah … here’s a man who doesn’t care.
Now .. here’s a challenge for your proggies out there --- you Obama supporters. I want you to tell me one instance --- just ONE --- of Barack Obama stepping up as Mitt Romney has to show that he is a kind, caring and generous American. Just one.
I'm touched.

Now tell us how many families Mr Sweets threw into the gutter of poverty, by taking away their livelyhood, and exporting htier jobs to the third world, or just selling off the assets.

Could it be as many as 50,000 families, over his short but sweet career as a "VENTURE CAPITALIST?"
gossamer

Warren, MI

#7 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, perhaps, HINDENBERG.
Just like a Liberal. They always attack when they run out of ideas.
The EMPTY Soup Bowl

Denver, CO

#8 Sep 20, 2012
GARBAGE.

Don't bother reading the professional lies by the media.

What's humorous is that the OWS and Barack followers who vandalized shops, raped their own, and defecated in public, calling themselves the 99 percenters (99%) were just 47 percenters (47%).

Good to know. We have the 53%, and it is growing behind the scenes because Barack and Hillary failed to protect US diplomats, sending the 4 staff members to the deaths just a day before the attack after receiving warning from the Libyan government to safeguard the consulate. They were told to unarm themselves first. Does the name Huma ring any bells? Close associate to MB and one who befriended Hillary.

YOU ARE NOT SAFE WITH OBAMA.

YOU WILL NOT SEE A PENNY OF THE INCREASED TAXES BARACK COLLECTS IN HIS SECOND TERM. But you WILL SUFFER UNEMPLOYMENT.

Barack's first term: The Empty Chair
Barack's second term: The Empty Soup Kitchen
Gravediggers

United States

#9 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
OBAMA=HIGH GAS PRICES
OBAMA=HIGH FOOD PRICES
OBAMA=DEpendence on FOREIGN ENERGY
OBAMA=Has DIVIDED Americans, not UNITED Americans
OBAMA=$16 TRILLION debt

RomneyCare is NOT a negative for Romney. It showed a capable, CARING, concerned governor who implemented healthcare for his STATE. Romney was the FIRST to implement healthcare for HIS STATE!

Romney has created scholarships-JOHN and ABIGAIL ADAMS SCHOLARSHIPS for ALL student to attend state colleges and universities for FREE who are in the top 25% of their graduating class.

Romney's leadership and VISION has been for the people.

There is NO ONE more capable, who has more vision and the DRIVE to improve life in American.

Romney has to battle an incumbent president and a BIASED and SLANTED MEDIA. It IS blatant the prejudice the media has for Obama. It's scary. There is no balanced news.

and what's the deal with Obama NOT KNOWING the amount of DEBT this nation has?!?!? He's the President! What an IMBECILE!

NO in NOvember
NO to OWEbama
The EMPTY Soup Bowl

Anonymous Proxy

#10 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, perhaps, HINDENBERG.
I recall you calling yourself a 'conservative' until you were challenged. Now, you are 'not a liberal'. Keep spinning. You get dizzy from it. Liberals like you spin so much you contradict yourself constantly. It INVALIDATES your comments, just like the 'professional media' invalidate themselves with Americans. Keep spinning. Keep farting gas. The stink is so offensive, the public knows to turn the other way.

Romney's will have to fumigate the WH of its 4 years of off putting gas. So will Americans of your BS.
Osama Obama

Newburg, PA

#11 Sep 20, 2012
He has EVOLVED

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#12 Sep 20, 2012
The EMPTY Soup Bowl wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall you calling yourself a 'conservative' until you were challenged. Now, you are 'not a liberal'. Keep spinning. You get dizzy from it. Liberals like you spin so much you contradict yourself constantly. It INVALIDATES your comments, just like the 'professional media' invalidate themselves with Americans. Keep spinning. Keep farting gas. The stink is so offensive, the public knows to turn the other way.
Romney's will have to fumigate the WH of its 4 years of off putting gas. So will Americans of your BS.
I consider myself a pragmatic conservative.
I reject religion and big business, in government, from knowing what is best for me.

That means that when something does not work, I do not cling to it out of ideological cultism, as do so many 'phony conservatives.'

i.e. there is nothing conservative about the neo-conservatives. They were founded by failed Marxists, who went the opposite way, for some reason, and embraced greed and looting as acceptable.

i.e. there is nothing 'conservative' about either "social conservatives" or "religious right." They are theoctats, the new puritans, exactly who the Founding Fathers meant when they erected a wall between politics and religion. Few who call themselves 'conservative' these days understand trhat FREEDOM OF RELIGION is synonomous with FREEDOM FROM RELIGION IN PUBLIC PERFORMANCE.

i.e. There is nothing 'conservative' about those who support Mr Romney. He is a businessman without conscience, or morals, who would sell his own mother if the price was right, but then cry about it.
I view International (or multi-national) corporate power as a far greater threat to our freedom and economy than government. The day that government's power is able to control big corporations to protect our American people from them, is the day I'll want to shrink government. Until then, I'm glad that we are somewhat protected from the excesses of people like Mitt Romney and Dick Cheney.

i.e. The old YAF / Bill Buckley crowd give lip service to conservatism, but actually serve the military-industrial complex, caring more about the ptofit of their big contributers (Scoop Jackson was a perfect example) than about the needs of the nation.

i.e. The Paulist movement is actually conservatiove, but no pragmatic. I have sympathy for Dr Paul that I don't hold for those others. But, Paul's ideas are hidebound, and he is unablre or unwilling to realize that society, technology, and the world have all evolved since the late 18th Centuty.

SO, I accept your scorn, but am my own person, always voting for the lesser of two evils, knowing that the alternative will only bring another disaster, like either of the Bushes, or Romney.

I reject the terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' as so many people have bound themselves to them for one reason, and let themselves be trapped into supporting other causes which are against the comon good, and even their oqwn personal interest.

The true conservative is bound to conservation of the environment, and would never reject the theory of global warming because other phony conservatives would mock him, all the while knowing that conservation could slow down, if not reverse the trend.

So what's your excuse?
IT Proffesional

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Sep 20, 2012
gossamer wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like a Liberal. They always attack when they run out of ideas.
Better than attacking when you have NO ideas.
radiofreeamerica

Tarpon Springs, FL

#14 Sep 20, 2012
Its obamas 47%-not Romney.NPR even says that calling them "likely obama voters" in the small print.
3OHA

San Jose, CA

#16 Sep 20, 2012
Obama's ideology has always been parasitic. Obama has always been parasitic. It is no surprise that a parasite would want to validate their parasite nature by having more people become parasitic.
Les Claypool

Denver, CO

#18 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider myself a pragmatic conservative.
I reject religion and big business, in government, from knowing what is best for me.
That means that when something does not work, I do not cling to it out of ideological cultism, as do so many 'phony conservatives.'
i.e. there is nothing conservative about the neo-conservatives. They were founded by failed Marxists, who went the opposite way, for some reason, and embraced greed and looting as acceptable.
i.e. there is nothing 'conservative' about either "social conservatives" or "religious right." They are theoctats, the new puritans, exactly who the Founding Fathers meant when they erected a wall between politics and religion. Few who call themselves 'conservative' these days understand trhat FREEDOM OF RELIGION is synonomous with FREEDOM FROM RELIGION IN PUBLIC PERFORMANCE.
i.e. There is nothing 'conservative' about those who support Mr Romney. He is a businessman without conscience, or morals, who would sell his own mother if the price was right, but then cry about it.
I view International (or multi-national) corporate power as a far greater threat to our freedom and economy than government. The day that government's power is able to control big corporations to protect our American people from them, is the day I'll want to shrink government. Until then, I'm glad that we are somewhat protected from the excesses of people like Mitt Romney and Dick Cheney.
i.e. The old YAF / Bill Buckley crowd give lip service to conservatism, but actually serve the military-industrial complex, caring more about the ptofit of their big contributers (Scoop Jackson was a perfect example) than about the needs of the nation.
i.e. The Paulist movement is actually conservatiove, but no pragmatic. I have sympathy for Dr Paul that I don't hold for those others. But, Paul's ideas are hidebound, and he is unablre or unwilling to realize that society, technology, and the world have all evolved since the late 18th Centuty.
SO, I accept your scorn, but am my own person, always voting for the lesser of two evils, knowing that the alternative will only bring another disaster, like either of the Bushes, or Romney.
I reject the terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' as so many people have bound themselves to them for one reason, and let themselves be trapped into supporting other causes which are against the comon good, and even their oqwn personal interest.
The true conservative is bound to conservation of the environment, and would never reject the theory of global warming because other phony conservatives would mock him, all the while knowing that conservation could slow down, if not reverse the trend.
So what's your excuse?
You should get out more.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#19 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes , Romney is handsome and has brains! To bad Obama has neither! He is an exceptional liar though.
Gag Me with a spoon

Hartford, CT

#20 Sep 20, 2012
Why does Romney export jobs then whine about redistribution?
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#21 Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>

Don't knock Bin Capital. Many unions and left wing organizations invest in Bain Capital. Apparently they know a real winner when they see one. LOL.
Mittens Dainty Pretty Boy

Matthews, IN

#22 Sep 20, 2012
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Yes , Romney is handsome and has brains! To bad Obama has neither! He is an exceptional liar though.
Romney reminds me of Ted Haggard. His mannerisms and speech are very similar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More on SSA employee frauds (Nov '13) 10 hr we pork dirt wate... 9
News 2 babies die, 29 sickened from bad vaccines in ... Sat arcanaknight 15
News GOP Lawmakers Re-introduce Bill to Crack Down o... Fri ronnie 2
do you have pain ? May 22 bob 1
News Lost generations May 22 bac ky goc 3tau lao 6
News It's Sheryl Crow vs. Duggars in Mo. (Oct '12) May 22 Tazo 42
News Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) May 21 racism is wrong 92
More from around the web