Revenue must be part of any budget de...

Revenue must be part of any budget deal: Harry Reid

There are 91 comments on the Reuters story from Feb 3, 2013, titled Revenue must be part of any budget deal: Harry Reid. In it, Reuters reports that:

The top Senate Democrat said on Sunday tax revenue must be part of any deal to replace looming automatic spending cuts, despite Republican warnings that they will not buckle over this issue after conceding on tax rises for the rich a month ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#50 Feb 5, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>In the spirit of fairness, the libs did double down on spending, but under Bush, they blew through dollars like there was no tomorrow. Bush was a moderate as is the choice of the Republican Establishment like Rove and his ilk. They have as little care of America and our constitution as the liberals do. They both have the same game plan, power and money. It way past time for division to end and to unite against these blood suckers.
I don't see a united America in our future. The ideological differences between traditional America, with it's emphasis upon the individual, and modern liberalism, which wants to change the United States into a nation centered upon government in every way, are just too great.

Until modern liberalism falls by it's own accord, which it undoubtedly will, our nation will struggle and decline. Frankly, I don't see any bright spot on the horizon in my lifetime. Those who wish to live their lives with any semblance of personal liberty are going to have to increasingly reject what is today considered a "normal" lifestyle. In short, look at where the masses are heading, and then head the other way!

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#51 Feb 5, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should increase spending and cut taxes forever? That's a politician's dream scenario.
That's the problem; no one will ever say the recovery is over. They'll ALWAYS say we're still "recovering" just so they never have to cut spending or raise taxes.
And when our debt is $50 trillion? Then what?? Still can't cut spending because we're still "recovering"??
And when our debt is $100 trillion? Then what?? Still can't cut spending because we're still "recovering"??
Sorry, but "recovery" or not, the time has come to cut spending and raise additional tax revenue. At some point our economy will collapse from too much debt. We can't wait until that happens before acting.
"Forever?" No. Until certain economic indicators are met. You have to establish those, obviously, just as you have to pay attention to indicators showing you're sliding into a recession.

We're not near any reasonable expectation of "our economy collapsing from too much debt" just yet...

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#52 Feb 5, 2013
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see a united America in our future. The ideological differences between traditional America, with it's emphasis upon the individual, and modern liberalism, which wants to change the United States into a nation centered upon government in every way, are just too great.
Until modern liberalism falls by it's own accord, which it undoubtedly will, our nation will struggle and decline. Frankly, I don't see any bright spot on the horizon in my lifetime. Those who wish to live their lives with any semblance of personal liberty are going to have to increasingly reject what is today considered a "normal" lifestyle. In short, look at where the masses are heading, and then head the other way!
Dishonest. Your ideology has created and magnified these "differences," and now apparently is pretending that liberalism is "modern" and has suddenly taken us on a "new" and bad path toward some sort of right-wing dystopia. The trouble is, we've been an increasingly "liberal" nation for 150 years, give or take a few. People have long felt threated by forces such as corporatism, and looked to the government to provide regulation and a safety net.

Your notion of 'personal liberty' is not 'liberty' at all, just a kind of 'every man for himself' libertarianism which would have us all at the mercy of powerful corporate forces and living in an environment full of sweatshops and soup kitchens.

Head the "other way" if you want to, but don't pretend it's the CORRECT way or expect a lot of others to follow you.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#53 Feb 5, 2013
Ninthman wrote:
<quoted text>Alabama was a stronghold for democrats from 1868 up to, during, and after the time of Rosa Parks. Ain't that something?
The law that Rosa Parks broke, was a law made by and enforced by the democrats of Alabama. Ain't that something?
George Wallace was a democrat. Ain't that somethin"?
It was Bull Connor, a member of the Democrat National Committee, who turned the hoses on the marchers in Birmingham, and it was the Republicans who made up the majority that passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, over the filibuster of such Democrat paragons as William Fulbright and Al Gore Sr.- and Grand Kleagle Byrd.
The troll continues to obsess over the distant past, I see. Is it really THAT hard to get traction against libs and Dems in the current time that you have to go back 50 years or more to score points?

LOL (shaking head)

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#54 Feb 5, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
"Forever?" No. Until certain economic indicators are met. You have to establish those, obviously, just as you have to pay attention to indicators showing you're sliding into a recession.
We're not near any reasonable expectation of "our economy collapsing from too much debt" just yet...
And by the time people realize we ARE at the point of collapse from too much debt, it will be too late to do anything about it.

Recession or not, we need to cut spending.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#55 Feb 5, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And by the time people realize we ARE at the point of collapse from too much debt, it will be too late to do anything about it.
Recession or not, we need to cut spending.
Your opinion. I disagree.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#56 Feb 5, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Dishonest. Your ideology has created and magnified these "differences," and now apparently is pretending that liberalism is "modern" and has suddenly taken us on a "new" and bad path toward some sort of right-wing dystopia. The trouble is, we've been an increasingly "liberal" nation for 150 years, give or take a few. People have long felt threated by forces such as corporatism, and looked to the government to provide regulation and a safety net.
Your notion of 'personal liberty' is not 'liberty' at all, just a kind of 'every man for himself' libertarianism which would have us all at the mercy of powerful corporate forces and living in an environment full of sweatshops and soup kitchens.
Head the "other way" if you want to, but don't pretend it's the CORRECT way or expect a lot of others to follow you.
be sure to let us know the way you are going, so we can all go the other way.

Tawas City, Michigan

#57 Feb 5, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion. I disagree.
So you have some special ability to tell just when we're about to reach the point of no return with the debt?

And you think THEN you'll be able to convince those in charge that you're right?

What if they don't believe you and decide to keep spending anyways?
Don Joe

United States

#58 Feb 5, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
I am staying in the USA. Please go the other way.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#59 Feb 5, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have some special ability to tell just when we're about to reach the point of no return with the debt?
And you think THEN you'll be able to convince those in charge that you're right?
What if they don't believe you and decide to keep spending anyways?
No need to get all upset and start slinging around strawmen. I simply said I disagreed. That was meant to signal the end of the discussion from my POV.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#60 Feb 5, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I am staying in the USA. Please go the other way.
don't worry, nobody will be beating a path the the frozen tundra of the north, wherever you live, Minn or Wisc, whichever...but when you get ready to retire to Florida, bring money, yankees are easier to pick than cotton, peanuts, peaches, oranges.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#61 Feb 5, 2013
Obama Deficits......... Bush Deficits
FY 2013:$901 billion FY 2009:$1,413 billion
FY 2012:$1,089 billion FY 2008:$459 billion
FY 2011:$1,300 billion FY 2007:$161 billion
FY 2010:$1,293 billion
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#62 Feb 5, 2013
You overlooked someone, Jefferson Davis, Mr. Confederate himself, was a loyal Democrat, Lincoln was a Republican....., the Southerns backed Democrats before 1964 and the signing of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act, they were known as the Jefferson Davis Democrats.... before 1965 when they left the party in protest to the Civil and Voting Rights Acts, the minorities that resided in the South and were granted access to the polls Voted Republican.
Ninthman wrote:
<quoted text>Alabama was a stronghold for democrats from 1868 up to, during, and after the time of Rosa Parks. Ain't that something?
The law that Rosa Parks broke, was a law made by and enforced by the democrats of Alabama. Ain't that something?
George Wallace was a democrat. Ain't that somethin"?
It was Bull Connor, a member of the Democrat National Committee, who turned the hoses on the marchers in Birmingham, and it was the Republicans who made up the majority that passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, over the filibuster of such Democrat paragons as William Fulbright and Al Gore Sr.- and Grand Kleagle Byrd.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#63 Feb 5, 2013
that's a result of insufficient knowledge about America and no understanding of the history of the political parties.
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The troll continues to obsess over the distant past, I see. Is it really THAT hard to get traction against libs and Dems in the current time that you have to go back 50 years or more to score points?
LOL (shaking head)

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#64 Feb 5, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
We have over $1 TRILLION annual deficits.
It's going to take MASSIVE spending cuts AND MASSIVE taxation to ever get a balanced budget.
And people are whining about a $1.2 trillion in cuts over a 10 year period? That's only $120 million in cuts per year.
Again, we need to cut over a TRILLION dollars EVERY YEAR just to balance the budget.
What do you do when your run out of money?

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#65 Feb 5, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Obama Deficits......... Bush Deficits
FY 2013:$901 billion FY 2009:$1,413 billion
FY 2012:$1,089 billion FY 2008:$459 billion
FY 2011:$1,300 billion FY 2007:$161 billion
FY 2010:$1,293 billion
Show me the budget passed that you are deriving your numbers from.........no budget no accounting.

Tawas City, Michigan

#66 Feb 5, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to get all upset and start slinging around strawmen. I simply said I disagreed. That was meant to signal the end of the discussion from my POV.
And my comment was meant to indicate your POV is ignorant.
Charlie Choo

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#67 Feb 5, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
if U disagree with Professor then U r da Confessor!! ;-0000h, can hav both ways!!;)
Charlie Choo

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#68 Feb 5, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
don't worry, nobody will be beating a path the the frozen tundra of the north, wherever you live, Minn or Wisc, whichever...but when you get ready to retire to Florida, bring money, yankees are easier to pick than cotton, peanuts, peaches, oranges.
GAer the WIer wanna U to mov north to Canada or Cubama!! C now;-00h, learn how to sing Frank Sintra song Yo Ways!!

;-000000000h, coming with lyrics..........
Dan Salazar

Long Beach, CA

#69 Feb 5, 2013
Bend over people. You were self loathing enough to let the far left of Castro crowd keep control of the Senate and the White House. Now the least you can do is look your kids in the eyes and tell them that you screwed them out of their chance at a decent future.

Pay Up Suckers!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Undocumented Workers Contribute Billions to SSI... Nov 18 American Independent 75
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) Nov 15 corky 16,115
News Trump Must Keep His Promise: Repeal DACA Nov 15 corky 296
Initial Claim Process Nov 14 Grams 60 1
News Social Security: Understanding the government p... Nov 12 James 2
News ASU senior and DACA recipient arrested in Washi... Nov 10 tomin cali 1
News The crooked Secret Service agent who stole Silk... Nov 9 THN mom 4
More from around the web