Food pantry services for Johnson Countians in need

Dec 26, 2012 Full story: Tomahawk Online 42

The following contains information regarding food pantries located in Johnson County.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mezs

Johnson City, TN

#1 Dec 27, 2012
where are the pantrys at?
voter

Jonesborough, TN

#2 Dec 27, 2012
Some of this food is dumped in the landfill. It has the USDA sticker on it that looks like what the churches give out.
I have seen people who line up for this food driving nice vehicles and wearing nice jewelry. I personally know of one woman who begs for food and has about 7 cats,a nice house,land and a 2008 car. She also feeds freeloaders at her house.How does a person qualify for free food when they appear to be doing o'k?
I don't mind donating to the food drive but get irritated when i know these people who don't relly need it.Stop taking from those who really do.
For Appearance Sake

Jonesborough, TN

#3 Dec 27, 2012
voter wrote:
Some of this food is dumped in the landfill. It has the USDA sticker on it that looks like what the churches give out.
I have seen people who line up for this food driving nice vehicles and wearing nice jewelry. I personally know of one woman who begs for food and has about 7 cats,a nice house,land and a 2008 car. She also feeds freeloaders at her house.How does a person qualify for free food when they appear to be doing o'k?
I don't mind donating to the food drive but get irritated when i know these people who don't relly need it.Stop taking from those who really do.
So, from reading your entry, you're under the impression that people in need are to appear in rags, nasty, plus, driving a broken down old vehicle? Uh, in my opinion, you appear to be an idiot!
Idiot Bounty Hunter

Miami, FL

#4 Dec 27, 2012
For Appearance Sake wrote:
<quoted text>So, from reading your entry, you're under the impression that people in need are to appear in rags, nasty, plus, driving a broken down old vehicle? Uh, in my opinion, you appear to be an idiot!
People who appear at food pantries in nice clothes and cars obviously got screwed up priorities. Talk about idiots...

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#5 Dec 27, 2012
Clothes can be bought cheap at yard sales that look nice.

The rich people that lives in subdivisions have big yard sales and sales a new pair of pants, shirts, shoes and just because they don't fit just right for $2.

Maybe that's were the people getting food from a pantry got their clothing.
Or maybe their clothing was a gift from someone.
Maybe they only have 1 or 2 pairs of nice pants, 2 nice shirts, 1 pair of nice shoes and they only wear those clothes when they go out in public.

Maybe their jewelry is fake.
Just because it looks like gold doesn't mean it is gold, and just because it looks like a diamond doesn't mean that it's a diamond.
Maybe they bought the jewelry at a yard sale for 25 to 50 cent a piece.

Maybe they got their clothes given to them at a food pantry.
I know that First Freewill Baptist Church gives food and clothing to the needy.
Some people donate nice clothes to these places.

To much judging and assuming in this world.
For Appearance Sake

Jonesborough, TN

#6 Dec 27, 2012
Idiot Bounty Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
People who appear at food pantries in nice clothes and cars obviously got screwed up priorities. Talk about idiots...
And, it seems there is yet another idiot in our midst. I'm getting old, but I'm "neat"! If ever I need to get help from these organizations, as God is my witness, I'll dress in my best, and drive a "nice" vehicle to the *place of donations*!
doe resident

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Dec 29, 2012
I have friends who get food from the churches.She has expensive hand-me-downs because she can't afford new things after buying for her kids.
They own two decent cars and about 6 acres on which they put out a garden.They do not qualify for food stamps so they are gratful for a little extra.
People loose jobs,sickness happens. Be thankful you have enough food and good health.If you don't want the food you get, pass it along to someone who truly could use it.
CAROLINA

Etowah, NC

#8 Jan 22, 2013
Some people have to have something to complain about.
Tpixer

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jan 22, 2013
voter wrote:
What "landfill" are you talking about?
Tpixer

Johnson City, TN

#10 Jan 22, 2013
voter wrote:
I have seen people who line up for this food driving nice vehicles and wearing nice jewelry. I personally know of one woman who begs for food and has about 7 cats,a nice house,land and a 2008 car. She also feeds...
I would like to know at what "landfill" you saw this food. You see, the landfill up at Dooley's ridge was closed down about 5 or 8 years ago. Now we pay a minimum entry fee at the Doe transfer station and off-load our bags of garbage into a deep bin---no way it could be called a "landfill".

I think people should be free to vent on Topix, but they should be (1)INTELLECTUALLY HONEST, not liars. Of course, to give you the benefit of the doubt, you could have seen one of those USDA stickers on a package of food at the landfill 5 or 8 years ago, and you were SO SCARRED by the sight that it seems like yesterday!

Also (2) I would hope that anyone who cared deeply about Johnson County would have discovered during the last 5 or 8 years that they have closed the Johnson County Landfill!

“Most people are "C" students”

Since: Sep 07

Right here

#11 Jan 22, 2013
Tpixer wrote:
I think people should be free to vent on Topix, but they should be (1)INTELLECTUALLY HONEST, not liars.
Is that what you think Topix posters should be? If so, I hope you have a VERY high tolerance for disappointment.

Next thing y'know, you'll be thinking politicians, government bureaucrats, newspaper editorial staffs, preachers, and public affairs officers should be intellectually honest.

Okay, maybe you're able to draw a distinction between "I think they should be" and "I expect them to be". I, too, think all those types SHOULD be intellectually honest, but I'll EXPECT pigs to fly before I'll expect those types to be intellectually honest.
Tpxer

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jan 22, 2013
I know him well wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you think Topix posters should be? If so, I hope you have a VERY high tolerance for disappointment.
Next thing y'know, you'll be thinking politicians, government bureaucrats, newspaper editorial staffs, preachers, and public affairs officers should be intellectually honest.
Okay, maybe you're able to draw a distinction between "I think they should be" and "I expect them to be". I, too, think all those types SHOULD be intellectually honest, but I'll EXPECT pigs to fly before I'll expect those types to be intellectually honest.
Well. Dang, this is a downer.
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jan 23, 2013
And maybe the people who look well off are & are just there to pick up food for an elderly person or someone who wasn't able to come.There are a lot of good people in our county who do help others.
wondering

Boiling Springs, SC

#15 Jan 23, 2013
Where is the free food pick up sites n mtn city?
Tpxer

Johnson City, TN

#16 Jan 23, 2013
Beats me. Drop by church offices is my guess.
Tpxer

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jan 23, 2013
Probably would not hurt to attend one of them also.
Idiot Bounty Hunter

Miami, FL

#18 Jan 24, 2013
For Appearance Sake wrote:
<quoted text>And, it seems there is yet another idiot in our midst. I'm getting old, but I'm "neat"! If ever I need to get help from these organizations, as God is my witness, I'll dress in my best, and drive a "nice" vehicle to the *place of donations*!
And you will be yet another story about idiots with misplaced priorities. As your imaginary sky fairy as your witness...

As for me, I'll drive my Walmart T-shirt and jeans-wearing self in my 14-year old used car to the local grocery store and pay for my food myself. No handouts required, moocher.
As God is My Witness

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jan 24, 2013
Idiot Bounty Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
And you will be yet another story about idiots with misplaced priorities. As your imaginary sky fairy as your witness...
As for me, I'll drive my Walmart T-shirt and jeans-wearing self in my 14-year old used car to the local grocery store and pay for my food myself. No handouts required, moocher.
And, here we have yet another moron, that does not read, nor comprehend? I stated, "IF EVER I HAVE A NEED", which I haven't, yet! Do you not understand? Go get a job, and stop acting like a stupid fool!
dress in rags and nasty

Johnson City, TN

#20 Jan 25, 2013
so, according to the idiots, if we're in need of help, we're suppose to be nasty and dressed in rags?
Tpxer

Johnson City, TN

#21 Jan 25, 2013
dress in rags and nasty wrote:
so, according to the idiots, if we're in need of help, we're suppose to be nasty and dressed in rags?
Yes, I think that is what some of the posters are saying. Here in Johnson County we prefer that our needy be truly needy. Need a bath, need a haircut and shampoo, need a clean outfit, need a set of wheels (even though Johnson Co does not have a public---cheap---transit system). Be NEEDY, dammit, if you ask for any help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why many retired women live in poverty 15 hr megconway 8
Numbers of homeless increase in region Sep 17 The Insider 13
Senior Americans burdened with student debt Sep 16 budd 90
New Mexico vets' personal information compromised Sep 15 Viet Nam Vet 1
Not all legal immigrants allowed to work Sep 14 dirtbag1958 1
Saving SSI benefits Sep 14 xakarii 1
Not all legal immigrants allowed to work Sep 13 Bull Chit 1
•••

Social Security People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE