Internet sales tax progresses in Senate

Internet sales tax progresses in Senate

There are 186 comments on the CBS News story from Apr 23, 2013, titled Internet sales tax progresses in Senate. In it, CBS News reports that:

The bill would empower states to require online retailers to collect state and local sales taxes for purchases made over the Internet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#42 Apr 23, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent, thanks for proving I was correct. Ayers killed no one, as I said.
LOL! Idiot.
you seem very worried about whether bill ayers killed anybody....what, is he your idol or something, and you dont want to see him fall off his pedestal?

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#44 Apr 23, 2013
Another gift from Obama and the Progressives to the middle class.

YOU CAN't afford a car or taxi to go shopping? We'll tax you anyway!

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#45 Apr 23, 2013
"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."
Barack Obama

Imagine that, another tax, right after he just raised our payroll taxes. I'm starting to think he lies.

“Smart@ss”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#46 Apr 23, 2013
Be Fair wrote:
This is a prime example of Government "helping" to make businesses play on a level playing field by proving a tax to small businesses that can't compete with a larger chain like wal-mart in selection but can on pricing and shipping services.
Government should just let the market settle this and let people vote with their wallets with whom they want to do business with and not force them to go to some "approved" store like Wal-Mart.
Ohh... so the free market is the solution to everything huh? how do you square that with the reality that there is no such thing as the free market?

“Smart@ss”

Location hidden

#47 Apr 23, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Liberals only care about spending other people's money. It's all they got........their money is all in banks in the Caymans.
Oh Jimmy, there you go again, mistaking liberals for hiding money over Republicans... here quick quiz which man that was recently running for president of the United States (and lost) that had confirmed records of holding money in places like the cayman islands.

Oh, how about this one... which ex-president that served his terms between Bill Clinton and Obama that also gave a key note speech in the caymans on the "amazing" investments that can be made in Cayman banks.

Go head, I'll give you a minute to figure it out.

“Smart@ss”

Location hidden

#48 Apr 23, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
do the owners of the free obamaphones have to pay the tax, or do others pay the tax on their behalf?
we're pretty much fooked, we've got half, or more of the people in this country getting a free ride, while the other half is doing all the work, and paying all the taxes. I blame LBJ
Dude, I am still waiting for that free phone, do you have a link to the website I go to sign up for it?
Imom

Carol Stream, IL

#49 Apr 24, 2013
RustyS wrote:
"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."
Barack Obama
Imagine that, another tax, right after he just raised our payroll taxes. I'm starting to think he lies.
He also raised the cigarette tax- a tax known to hit the poor the hardest and tried to raise the gas tax another tax that hits the working poor the hardest. But he will not raise the taxes on the poor and middle class?
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#50 Apr 24, 2013
26 Republicans vote for internet sales tax:

Alexander,Blunt,Boozman,Burr,C hambliss,Coburn,Cochran,Collin s,Corker,
Crapo,Enzi,Fischer,Graham,Hoev en,Isakson,Johanns,Johnson, R,Kirk,McCain,Moran,Portman,Ri sch,Sessions,Shelby,Thune,Wick er

"They have voted to grow government all over the country, hurt low-tax states, impose taxation without representation, saddle small businesses with collecting taxes for 10,000 distinct tax jurisdictions, and adulterate the freest most successful entity known to man."

Less government my ass.

hahahahahahahahahaha
hmmmmm

Albuquerque, NM

#51 Apr 24, 2013
I pity the small internet business trying to keep up with thousands of constantly changing differing tax rates.

I live in a rural location at 1 tax rate, a town 5 miles west of me has another tax rate, the toen 5 miles east of mr has another tax rate. The rates change with every differing bond issue that is passed at their localities. This is an example of only a 10 mile stretch of road here in NM.

Only way it will work is a preset tax rate per state, not individual local taxes. One just wonders what obama the tax queen will do ? Probably a 2,000 page tax regulation that no one can read or adhere to so there will need to be a whole new section of IRS to administer and track all sales. Thank god for the black market, this govt makes sure black markets thrive.
Imom

Carol Stream, IL

#52 Apr 24, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
26 Republicans vote for internet sales tax:
Alexander,Blunt,Boozman,Burr,C hambliss,Coburn,Cochran,Collin s,Corker,
Crapo,Enzi,Fischer,Graham,Hoev en,Isakson,Johanns,Johnson, R,Kirk,McCain,Moran,Portman,Ri sch,Sessions,Shelby,Thune,Wick er
"They have voted to grow government all over the country, hurt low-tax states, impose taxation without representation, saddle small businesses with collecting taxes for 10,000 distinct tax jurisdictions, and adulterate the freest most successful entity known to man."
Less government my ass.
hahahahahahahahahaha
If you think there is any difference between republicans and democrats on most issues you are sadly mistaken. The only diffrence is how they package the message. In the end they are all politicians who want the same thing- power and influence.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#53 Apr 24, 2013
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, I am still waiting for that free phone, do you have a link to the website I go to sign up for it?
its a black thing, you wouldn't understand
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#54 Apr 24, 2013
Imom wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if the cons would give the their harp about being for less taxes, voters would take them seriously. More teadead hypocrisy.
Imom

Carol Stream, IL

#55 Apr 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Maybe if the cons would give the their harp about being for less taxes, voters would take them seriously. More teadead hypocrisy.
I am not for more taxes or for less taxes I am for a tax structure that is alot more fair. The funny thing is everyone thinks they pay too much but the other guy doesn't pay enough. And both sides of the political spectrum are hypocrits when it comes to "fair Taxes". So if you want to know where the problem lies look no further than your mirror.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#56 Apr 24, 2013
Imom wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently missed the recent survey, which revealed that most taxpayers think what they pay is fair. The biggest whining is coming from the top 1% who want more breaks. And yet, the teadeads who think they have something to offer, won't lay out every program or project they would gut. They can't, because they would be even less popular than they are now.

“I laugh at Robo Posters”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#57 Apr 24, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Barack Obama
Think what the liberal press would be doing concerning Boston if Bush was President........what did he know and when did he know it.

FLASHBACK: Hillary Waves Newspaper With 'BUSH KNEW' Headline on Senate Floor...

Paris

#58 Apr 24, 2013
<quoted text>
You apparently missed the recent survey, which revealed that most taxpayers think what they pay is fair. The biggest whining is coming from the top 1% who want more breaks. And yet, the teadeads who think they have something to offer, won't lay out every program or project they would gut. They can't, because they would be even less popular than they are now.
You mean like your and Obama's buddy Buffett that claims to want higher taxes, but has fought the American Government for two years over a measley 3 million dollars. For christ sakes, he is a multi billionaire.....liberals are such a hoot.

Paris

#59 Apr 24, 2013
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't find the website, you qualify for the phone and as a low information voter.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#60 Apr 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact: coburn (R,OK) & 25 other cons back additional taxes that will burden small business. My, oh my, how they change for the almighty dollar.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Imom

Carol Stream, IL

#62 Apr 24, 2013
<quoted text>
What survey- who conducted it and how was it done? Most surveys do not mean alot because they are biased one way or another. As for the "teadeads" I could not care any less about them but you seem to be obsessed with them. Prehaps you should talk to someone about that.
Kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#63 Apr 24, 2013
The subject of Internet sales tax collection seems to have brought out all the usual Obama haters talking crazy, as always regardless of subject, about “Obamaphones” and such, and making the usual racial slurs.

How sad! It’s not President Obama who’s behind this movement. Follow the money to learn who is. Who stands to gain by legislation that would force Internet merchants to collect sales taxes on out-of-state sales? For all states that have sales taxes, it’s a big money grab.

I oppose sales tax in general and thus the prospect of having to collect sales tax on our-of-state sales through the Internet. Not only is sales tax, as a flat tax, regressive and hence constitutes an unfair burden on the poor, calculating tax amount per sale can be complicated and hence places an unfair burden on the merchant.

In Ohio, for example, the sales tax rate varies by county, which makes it necessary to keep a full set of tax tables to know the amount to charge customers taking delivery in foreign counties within the State. Imagine having to keep a full set of tax tables for all counties and municipalities in the United States. Sales tax forces merchants to be tax collectors.

Let’s let our voice be heard by opposing such legislation, but please be smart and not talk crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Small Business Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thunder Bay-Rainy River candidates weigh in on ... Sep 2 Medewiwn 2
7 Reliable Sources Of Lucrative Business Ideas Aug 28 Kevin Martyn 2
News "This Town is Dead": the Long Decline of Arecib... Aug 27 AllANKs 21
News Colorado at legal epicenter for business issues Aug 14 Elise Gingerich 1
News Optimize your website for locals (Sep '10) Aug 9 a suggestion 6
Who is how to build backlinks for seo Aug '15 drups 1
News Installation of hydro a smart metersa to begin ... (Mar '09) Jul '15 surges seen from ... 7
More from around the web