Tax hike for wealthy won't kill growth: CBO

Nov 8, 2012 Read more: Reuters 665

A man with a local group of upper income professionals who call themselves ''Tax-Us'' holds a sign during a rally at City Hall in San Francisco, California April 17, 2012.

Read more
Orangelion

Wrexham, UK

#588 Nov 19, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's the link to the UK Constitution, troll?
Everywhere on the web, which makes the search engine itself a source. You only need to type in british constitutional monarchy in the search engine and see the results without even needing to click on a link, which makes you look even more ignorant.
responder

Columbus, OH

#589 Nov 19, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Less than half of the UK Parliament is elected; more are appointed.
The PM is appointed by the monarch.
And Parliament can be dismissed by the monarchy.
Who is... the head of state.
If you're referring to the House of Lords, that's correct...but they have little or no power.

Commons is elected, and that's where the power is.

The Prime Minister presents his credentials, symbolically, to the Queen. However, he is the elected leader of the party which gains a majority in Commons, and becomes PM automatically (or in the current PM's case, through negotiations as part of a power-sharing arrangement between the two major coalition parties).

Dismissal of Parlianment by the monarch is, again, symbolic and traditional.

The Monarch is technically head of state, but has little or no real power. Thus, it's a constitutional monarchy - without an actual Constitution.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#590 Nov 19, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
Everywhere on the web,
Right, it's everywhere but there are so many links you can't find any.

Are you working on your French alias?

Location hidden

#591 Nov 19, 2012
responder wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're referring to the House of Lords, that's correct...but they have little or no power.
They have enough power to reject the House of Common's attempt to reform (in other words, to make them elected offices).

So- in case anyone is keeping track- I was right when I said a) UK is a monarchy b) most of the Parliament is appointed and c) the monarch can dismiss the Parliament

Location hidden

#592 Nov 19, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
Do you no any of the elections...
Practice your French.

You don't come off as British.

Location hidden

#593 Nov 19, 2012
responder wrote:
The Prime Minister presents his credentials, symbolically, to the Queen. However, he is the elected leader of the party which gains a majority in Commons, and becomes PM automatically ...
Nonsense.

The Prime Minister is appointed to his/her office. The monarch doesn't have to accept the recommendations (and hasn't always accepted) and can be called on to appoint the PM when it is disputed in the House of Commons.

The power to appoint the PM rests EXCLUSIVELY with the monarch.

I'm not arguing the definition of is-is.

Location hidden

#594 Nov 19, 2012
responder wrote:
The Monarch is technically head of state
The President of the United States is technically the head of state in the USA.

Between the two: who has the power to declare war?

Tell me: which has the power to dismiss "Parliament"?

Location hidden

#595 Nov 19, 2012
responder wrote:
Thus, it's a constitutional monarchy - without an actual Constitution.
The terms monarchy and democracy are mutually exclusive.

The UK is a monarchy.
Crooked liberal media

Concord, CA

#596 Nov 19, 2012
responder wrote:
<quoted text>
"The far Right actually wants America to go over the fiscal cliff - just so they can blame Obama and Dems for it."
Fixed it for you, dummy...
The Republicans don't want to go over the fiscal cliff you dummy. If we go over the fiscal cliff, then the rich will have to pay even higher taxes.
Therealnews com

East Islip, NY

#597 Nov 19, 2012
Crooked liberal media wrote:
<quoted text>
The Republicans don't want to go over the fiscal cliff you dummy. If we go over the fiscal cliff, then the rich will have to pay even higher taxes.
Document uncovers details of a planned coup in the USA in 1933 by right-wing American businessmen / 23 July 2007 / http://tinyurl.com/2cc7af
The coup was aimed at toppling President Franklin D Roosevelt with the help of half-a-million war veterans. The plotters, who were alleged to involve some of the most famous families in America,(owners of Heinz, Birds Eye, Goodtea, Maxwell Hse & George Bush’s Grandfather, Prescott) believed that their country should adopt the policies of Hitler and Mussolini to beat the great depression.

Mike Thomson investigates why so little is known about this biggest ever peacetime threat to American democracy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/document/...

Document uncovers details of a planned coup in the USA in 1933 by right-wing American businessmen / 23 July 2007 / Audio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/document/...
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#598 Nov 20, 2012
I thought Ruppert Murdoch got the Prime Minister elected same as he runs the elections in the U.S. and other countries.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#599 Nov 20, 2012
responder wrote:
<quoted text>
"The far Right actually wants America to go over the fiscal cliff - just so they can blame Obama and Dems for it."
Fixed it for you, dummy...
Who's driving the bus maggot muncher......who won....remember. Are you trying to crawl already.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#600 Nov 20, 2012
Crooked liberal media wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like Obama, Hillary, Pelosi and Feinstein.
Therealnews com

East Islip, NY

#601 Nov 20, 2012
Pamela wrote:
I thought Ruppert Murdoch got the Prime Minister elected same as he runs the elections in the U.S. and other countries.
MPs say Rupert Murdoch unfit to run company
May 2, 2012 / http://tinyurl.com/7lqquss
Rupert Murdoch is not fit to run a major international company, MPs said on Tuesday, finding him ultimately responsible for the illegal phone hacking that has corroded his global media empire and damaged the political establishment.
The MPs said the 81-year-old News Corp chief lacked credibility, his son James appeared incompetent and the company was guilty of "wilful blindness" towards its staff at the News of the World tabloid.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/05/02/uk-b...

UK lawmakers: Rupert Murdoch unfit to lead company
May 1, 2012 / http://tinyurl.com/6q7gfjd
A committee of British lawmakers called Rupert Murdoch unfit to run his global media empire -- a finding that reflects just how deeply the phone hacking scandal born of his defunct News of the World has shaken the relationship between the press and politics.
The divisive ruling Tuesday against Murdoch, his son James and three of their executives also exposed the waning influence of the media tycoon, and could jeopardize his control of a major broadcaster.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-05/D9UG4R...

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#602 Nov 20, 2012
Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, why don't you quit worrying about what the f*ck the rest of us are doing and switch threads if you don't like what's going on here. Politically, I think you and I agree; but don't piss me off by trying to be condescending with me.
That's the problem you hijacked the thread. Don't like to be reminded, do you? Parlimentary government is not the TOPIC.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#603 Nov 20, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
does anybody here besides you two give a bucket of warm piss for whatever goes on in England?
For once we agree.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#604 Nov 20, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
lejimcrow plays the maggot card....tweak.....

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Some Random Dude

Santa Cruz, CA

#605 Nov 20, 2012
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>That's the problem you hijacked the thread. Don't like to be reminded, do you? Parlimentary government is not the TOPIC.
And of course you felt compelled to take the thread in YET ANOTHER direction by commenting about my "going off the topic" in a condescending manner; thus forcing me to respond. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Those other posters have been going back and forth over this for days. I chimed in hoping to settle it once and for all so we could move on, but apparently a certain poster (who shall remain nameless) chooses willful ignorance... I should have known. And you... come on! You've been on Topix for years. You know how it works here. The threads go all over the place in terms of discussion. Why did you choose to be the subject Nazi now?
Some Random Dude

Santa Cruz, CA

#606 Nov 20, 2012
As for my opinion on taxes (the actual subject of this thread): We need to go back to the Clinton (or better yet... Reagan) era rates. We were a lot better off as a nation with those tax rates and people were still getting filthy f*cking rich.
Some Random Dude

Santa Cruz, CA

#607 Nov 20, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe the horse was getting over a horse ter ectomy?
How are you doing IG? I see you are still posting. That's cool. I've been away for quite some time but every once in a while I come back to slum around. Haha! I used to post under a different (much more abrasive) handle ("Venomous"). I've decided that (disposition aside) the mere name had a tendency to provoke people and I'm making every effort to be a kinder, gentler poster. I'm trying to do the whole "calm, rational" thing now (although I have to admit... the insults WERE fun at times). Anyway, I hope you are good. I know we weren't exactly political allies, but I always thought you were alright.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Small Business Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wealth gap hits black families in U.S., La. (Sep '12) Apr 15 networth 6
News Another business closes in Downtown Jonesboro Apr 8 aaaarkansaaw 7
Why is so hard to start a business these days? (Jul '09) Apr 2 Cleaning for Profit 11
Start your own business selling Kurtos kalacs (... (Feb '11) Mar 31 Louise Samuel 65
News Mexico City businesses cite losses during Bond ... Mar 27 rah91 1
News SBA Launches LINC, Empowering African American ... Mar 26 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Forum draws out ideas for potential $500M grant Mar 25 conklincolt 1
More from around the web