GOP attacks Obama over Bush tax cuts

Aug 18, 2012 Full story: USA Today 952

The Republicans went after President Obama again Saturday over the end-of-the-year expiration of the George W. Bush tax cuts.

Full Story

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#1048 Nov 6, 2012
martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>
In summary, conservatism comes down to two things:
1. Personal responsibility
2. Freedom
Everything else comes out of that!
Liberalism is simply more government!
Personal responsibility is shared by all, so no conservative has the market cornered on that...That's just grabbing for the low hanging fruit.

Freedom? Is that not what America is based on and still enjoy daily? What in the blue hell are you talking about? Give me substance or give me death.

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#1049 Nov 6, 2012
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>Personal responsibility is shared by all, so no conservative has the market cornered on that...That's just grabbing for the low hanging fruit.

Freedom? Is that not what America is based on and still enjoy daily? What in the blue hell are you talking about? Give me substance or give me death.
For example, if you can not drink a 16oz drink that is not freedom!
CBOW

Dover, PA

#1050 Nov 6, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have said before, my company won a National Science Foundation grant. To win, we submitted our application showing our innovation. The proposal was fanned out to researchers across the nation to make sure they agreed it was a valid proposal. We received a $50,000 grant. We had to go to Washington DC to get trained on the proper way to use the grant money.(That ate up a lot of it.)
There were about 200 innovators who had fantastic products. Innovation was still alive and chomping at the gate to be released. The trainers provided a lot of information about commercialization but one single question kept coming up. How do we fund commercialization? The innovation is mostly proven, how do we get it to market? The question came up so often, the trainers added a special session on how to get this funding. The number 1 answer..... Wait for it..... Friends and Family. If you have rich friends or rich family, willing to invest, you can be funded. If not, you are pretty much out of luck.
I have not been asking for it to be easy; I have been asking for it to be possible. After talking with all the groups I mentioned, refining the pitch and presenting again, and again; getting my hands dirty over and over and over for decades, one eventually realizes it's like winning the lottery. I consider luck to be when hard work meets opportunity. I am not talking about an hour here or there.I am talking about 12 to 16 hour days, 7 days a week. I am not talking about no education, I am talking about several people getting together with advanced technical degrees. I am not talking about hoping something might work, I am talking about working prototypes. I am not talking about copying someone else's ideas, I am talking about patented inventions.
You can try to say someone just hasn't worked hard enough, but don't tell me it's possible for most people. Just like winning the lottery is not possible for most people. Somebody might win, but most cannot.
I have run into a lot of people who claimed they knew a lot of investors. I offered to them, that they can have 5% of whatever they can raise, and then 5% of the company. Several went to all those folks who they thought might invest and nothing. They were very disappointed; but I have learned to expect that result.
You can claim that there is plenty of opportunity, but there never is, unless you have rich friends and family willing to give you a great deal of money.
Your second paragraph explains why China has grown to what it is today, a manufacturing super power. While the corporate numbskulls are having meetings on how to manufacture a component, the Chinese have it already on your doorstep. It isn't all about cheap prices or labor, it's about getting the job done. Too much time is spent having meetings because...college brainstormers think they have all the answers but can't apply real world techniques to achieve the goal. Money and funding isn't the only problem, production is just as big a problem. Marketing and distribution isn't even as challenging. The youth thinks they can re-invent the wheel, and while their having their meetings, the foreign manufacturers have manufactured, shipped and collected the capital for said wheel.

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#1051 Nov 6, 2012
Hypnotic Phantom wrote:
<quoted text>You mean like regulating the personal responsibility and freedom of a woman to choose what she does with her own body?

Or regulating the personal responsibility and freedom of two consenting and of age adults to marry no matter if they are the same sex?

Or regulating the personal responsibility and freedom to worship or not worship the god or gods of their choice?

You mean THAT type of conservatism?
#1. "You mean like regulating the personal responsibility and freedom of a woman to choose what she does with her own body?"

No body is regulation anything about women. Women can have all abortions they want, just do not charge me taxes for it!

Let me repeat slowly: women abortion we care not, we paying taxes for we refuse!

Get it now?

Right now, Roe versus Wade, women can kill their babies, that is their personal responsibility.

It is NOT our responsibility to PAY, PAY, PAY, PAY, PAY, PAY for it!!!

#2. "Or regulating the personal responsibility and freedom of two consenting and of age adults to marry no matter if they are the same sex?"

Consenting adults can marry anything they want, tables, dogs, sheep and goats, but we refuse to change the definition of marriage to be between two animals, for example a dog and a goat, a gay and a broom or two cats or two men or two babies or two toyotas or two women or one men and four women like Muslims do!

Why can not you leave out DEFINITION alone?

Words matters, definition matters and our pastors should not be forced and threatened to loose their licenses if they refuse to marry to boys, two little girls, two lesbians or a mop and a broom!

Get it now?

#3. Or regulating the personal responsibility and freedom to worship or not worship the god or gods of their choice?

No conservative cares who you worship but Liberals want us to accept Muslim Shariah law.

The only ones threatening freedom of religion is the liberals and that is a fact!

For example, forcing the Catholic Church to worship a gay and abortion loving god!!!

**********

I can see you do not understand how the liberals fool you and play with your mind, let me show you:

You are minding your own business when some one ask you to pay for his bullets for his gun. You say no. He then label you anti-self protection. You then as a good liberal cave to it and start paying for his bullets. Then he comes back and wants you to pay for his condoms. You say no. He then accuse you of wanting to spread venereal diseases among teen for refusing to pay for every bodies condoms. You cave and accuse anyone who does not help you to pay for it. Then his wife cones and ask you to pay for her contraceptives ...

See?

Liberals are easy to fool that is why their states are going into bankruptcy!

Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#1052 Nov 6, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Your second paragraph explains why China has grown to what it is today, a manufacturing super power. While the corporate numbskulls are having meetings on how to manufacture a component, the Chinese have it already on your doorstep. It isn't all about cheap prices or labor, it's about getting the job done. Too much time is spent having meetings because...college brainstormers think they have all the answers but can't apply real world techniques to achieve the goal. Money and funding isn't the only problem, production is just as big a problem. Marketing and distribution isn't even as challenging. The youth thinks they can re-invent the wheel, and while their having their meetings, the foreign manufacturers have manufactured, shipped and collected the capital for said wheel.
Wrong again. China is the economic superpower because it manipulates its currency, and manipulates our politicians.

Consider, I had a friend who owned a metal fabrication shop. They made prototypes for large corporations in the area. They have been in existence for a long time. He had a couple of employees, a shop with some metal working equipment. A few years back, he went to the local grocery store. They had for sale some cooking pots. They were made of metal so he examined them. The quality of materials was good. The workmanship was good. He noticed the label said "made in China." He looked at the price. The retail price was lower than his cost for the raw materials to make that same cooking pot.

That means that if his employees worked for free, with no benefits; the building in which they worked was free, he didn't have to pay insurance for anything, His electricity and heat and cooling for the building was free, there was no cost for shipping or sales or advertising... If the only thing he had to pay for was the raw materials, he still could not compete.

You can disparage Americans all you like, but the fact remains we do not have a level playing field.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#1053 Nov 6, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. China is the economic superpower because it manipulates its currency, and manipulates our politicians.
Consider, I had a friend who owned a metal fabrication shop. They made prototypes for large corporations in the area. They have been in existence for a long time. He had a couple of employees, a shop with some metal working equipment. A few years back, he went to the local grocery store. They had for sale some cooking pots. They were made of metal so he examined them. The quality of materials was good. The workmanship was good. He noticed the label said "made in China." He looked at the price. The retail price was lower than his cost for the raw materials to make that same cooking pot.
That means that if his employees worked for free, with no benefits; the building in which they worked was free, he didn't have to pay insurance for anything, His electricity and heat and cooling for the building was free, there was no cost for shipping or sales or advertising... If the only thing he had to pay for was the raw materials, he still could not compete.
You can disparage Americans all you like, but the fact remains we do not have a level playing field.
I am not disparaging Americans, I am one. I do see the fact that corporate America is much like our Justice system SLOOOOWWWW. The fact is, many of the components used in my robotic systems take months to manufacture when made here. Some components are made in China. When we tried to have a particular component produced here in the states, the company needed 3 months to decide whether they could make it and another 16 weeks to produce the first one. China built the component in 19 days and had them here on our bench at the 22 day. It is cheaper to have products made in China, and it isn't all because of their standard of living or the wages. Yes, there is a political cause and effect. The fact is, the people we deal with in China get quite a bit of vacation time. They just happen to keep at a project until it's finished.

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#1054 Nov 6, 2012
martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>
For example, if you can not drink a 16oz drink that is not freedom!
Is that what you have as evidence?

Jesus.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#1055 Nov 6, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not disparaging Americans, I am one. I do see the fact that corporate America is much like our Justice system SLOOOOWWWW. The fact is, many of the components used in my robotic systems take months to manufacture when made here. Some components are made in China. When we tried to have a particular component produced here in the states, the company needed 3 months to decide whether they could make it and another 16 weeks to produce the first one. China built the component in 19 days and had them here on our bench at the 22 day. It is cheaper to have products made in China, and it isn't all because of their standard of living or the wages. Yes, there is a political cause and effect. The fact is, the people we deal with in China get quite a bit of vacation time. They just happen to keep at a project until it's finished.
But you have been disparaging Americans. Numbskull corporate types. Americans take too long, they expect to not get their hands dirty, not willing to put in the work; they expect it to be easy.
I work with Chinese as well. Yes they get lots of vacation time, and way more holidays than is customary in the USA. They often get respectable salaries, comfortable retirements, full medical, dental, apartments, food, way more than the US worker gets. So how can they get all the benefits pay high shipping costs and still sell for less?? currency manipulation.
Yes corporations are slow, but they have written enough laws to remove incentive for investing in start ups which can give them competition.
The manufacturing base has been removed, particularly from small companies. The company I mentioned, if they were still in business would probably be able to deliver the part before day 14 ( most likely done by day 7 depending upon complexity.)
I am not asking for a hand out. I want opportunity. I want a chance to succeed. When China can made finished goods and ship them here and have a good profit margin, for less than it costs me for raw materials, I cannot be successful.
As I have indicated there are a great many people in the USA with fantastic innovations that simply cannot get to market because of the investment climate. A few get investment, but very few, and they give up everything. I personally know of one person who started then sold three companies for almost a billion dollars, and his cut was under $10 million.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#1056 Nov 6, 2012
martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>
#1. "You mean like regulating the personal responsibility and freedom of a woman to choose what she does with her own body?"
No body is regulation anything about women. Women can have all abortions they want, just do not charge me taxes for it!
Let me repeat slowly: women abortion we care not, we paying taxes for we refuse!
Get it now?
Right now, Roe versus Wade, women can kill their babies, that is their personal responsibility.
It is NOT our responsibility to PAY, PAY, PAY, PAY, PAY, PAY for it!!!
#2. "Or regulating the personal responsibility and freedom of two consenting and of age adults to marry no matter if they are the same sex?"
Consenting adults can marry anything they want, tables, dogs, sheep and goats, but we refuse to change the definition of marriage to be between two animals, for example a dog and a goat, a gay and a broom or two cats or two men or two babies or two toyotas or two women or one men and four women like Muslims do!
Why can not you leave out DEFINITION alone?
Words matters, definition matters and our pastors should not be forced and threatened to loose their licenses if they refuse to marry to boys, two little girls, two lesbians or a mop and a broom!
Get it now?
#3. Or regulating the personal responsibility and freedom to worship or not worship the god or gods of their choice?
No conservative cares who you worship but Liberals want us to accept Muslim Shariah law.
The only ones threatening freedom of religion is the liberals and that is a fact!
For example, forcing the Catholic Church to worship a gay and abortion loving god!!!
**********
I can see you do not understand how the liberals fool you and play with your mind, let me show you:
You are minding your own business when some one ask you to pay for his bullets for his gun. You say no. He then label you anti-self protection. You then as a good liberal cave to it and start paying for his bullets. Then he comes back and wants you to pay for his condoms. You say no. He then accuse you of wanting to spread venereal diseases among teen for refusing to pay for every bodies condoms. You cave and accuse anyone who does not help you to pay for it. Then his wife cones and ask you to pay for her contraceptives ...
See?
Liberals are easy to fool that is why their states are going into bankruptcy!
it's an old law that says federal dollars cannot be used toward abortions.
and they aren't.
so you're just talking out your butt.
.
where did you find the definition of marriage?
and nobody is forcing any religious institution to preform marriages that they don't approve of.
so you're just talking out your butt (again)
.
you don't seem to understand the actual meaning of freedom of religion
it means that we all get to worship the God we choose in the way we choose.
Sharia Law isn't coming to the US, just as Catholic law isn't coming to the US.
this is not a theocracy.
so, once again, you're just talking out your butt.

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#1057 Nov 6, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong again. China is the economic superpower because it manipulates its currency, and manipulates our politicians.

Consider, I had a friend who owned a metal fabrication shop. They made prototypes for large corporations in the area. They have been in existence for a long time. He had a couple of employees, a shop with some metal working equipment. A few years back, he went to the local grocery store. They had for sale some cooking pots. They were made of metal so he examined them. The quality of materials was good. The workmanship was good. He noticed the label said "made in China." He looked at the price. The retail price was lower than his cost for the raw materials to make that same cooking pot.

That means that if his employees worked for free, with no benefits; the building in which they worked was free, he didn't have to pay insurance for anything, His electricity and heat and cooling for the building was free, there was no cost for shipping or sales or advertising... If the only thing he had to pay for was the raw materials, he still could not compete.

You can disparage Americans all you like, but the fact remains we do not have a level playing field.
Do they have unions in China? Paid vacation? Lifetime retirement after ten years of work? Free medical and dental paid by employers?

Is it true that if you unionize in China they kill you?

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#1058 Nov 6, 2012
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>Is that what you have as evidence?

Jesus.
That is just an example!

And yes, it is a state crime to go to New York with a 16 oz cup, Jesus!

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#1059 Nov 6, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>it's an old law that says federal dollars cannot be used toward abortions.
and they aren't.
so you're just talking out your butt.
.
where did you find the definition of marriage?
and nobody is forcing any religious institution to preform marriages that they don't approve of.
so you're just talking out your butt (again)
.
you don't seem to understand the actual meaning of freedom of religion
it means that we all get to worship the God we choose in the way we choose.
Sharia Law isn't coming to the US, just as Catholic law isn't coming to the US.
this is not a theocracy.
so, once again, you're just talking out your butt.
Facts:

http://aclj.org/obamacare/how-obamacare-uses-...

In fact, the law specifically provides that state health exchanges may cover abortions unless the state enacts specific legislation prohibiting abortion coverage. Moreover, the law’s requirement that insurance providers cover “preventive services” and preventative care are so broadly defined that they could be used to force coverage of abortions and abortion related drugs. Thus, all Americans are forced to purchase health insurance that could cover abortion and in some cases is required to cover abortion.

This pro-abortion law also opens the door to Planned Parenthood-run clinics in public middle schools and high schools, and specifically provides federal tax dollars to establish these clinics. ObamaCare provides grants for establishing “School-based Health Centers,” which could be run by abortion organizations like Planned Parenthood. While the law prevents these clinics from being used to “provide” abortions, it encourages groups like Planned Parenthood to make abortion referrals. The law’s stated purpose for these clinics is to provide “counseling” and “referrals,” which could include abortions and abortion related services.

Expanded taxpayer funding for abortions through ObamaCare

First of all, there is no language in ObamaCare that prevents tax dollars from being used to pay for abortions. The proposed amendment to ObamaCare that would have prevented all taxpayer funding for abortions that was debated in Congress, known as the Stupak-Pitts Amendment, was not included in the final bill signed by President Obama.

In fact, President Obama and the Democrats in Congress worked considerably to keep the Stupak-Pitts Amendment from being included in the final bill. To be clear, they would have rather had a no health care law than allow ObamaCare to be passed with language preventing taxpayer funding of abortion. The Stupak-Pitts Amendment simply said:“No funds authorized or appropriated by [ObamaCare] may be used to pay for any abortion or to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion ….”

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#1060 Nov 6, 2012
Second, the Hyde Amendment – the yearly amendment to appropriations bills that prevents federal taxpayer dollars from funding abortions – does not apply to ObamaCare.

Third, as we have previously explained in detail, the Executive Order signed by President Obama, which he claimed would “ensure that Federal funds are not used for abortion services,” did not prevent taxpayer funds from being used for abortions – and then Solicitor General Elena Kagan and the White House knew it. This Executive Order does not stop ObamaCare from funding abortion because an executive order cannot trump a congressionally enacted statute.

As our legal analysis of a the bill that would become ObamaCare concluded, there is nothing to “prohibit federal dollars from funding plans that include abortion services.” In fact, the law has a section describing “ABORTIONS FOR WHICH PUBLIC FUNDING IS ALLOWED.”

By forcing states to create and run health exchanges and by forcing them to expand their Medicaid rolls which can, and in some case must, include abortion funding, more tax-payer dollars will go to fund abortions.

One example: the Department of Health and Human Services has already used powers granted under ObamaCare to force insurance companies and employers to fully cover an abortion drug.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#1062 Nov 7, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
But you have been disparaging Americans. Numbskull corporate types. Americans take too long, they expect to not get their hands dirty, not willing to put in the work; they expect it to be easy.
I work with Chinese as well. Yes they get lots of vacation time, and way more holidays than is customary in the USA. They often get respectable salaries, comfortable retirements, full medical, dental, apartments, food, way more than the US worker gets. So how can they get all the benefits pay high shipping costs and still sell for less?? currency manipulation.
Yes corporations are slow, but they have written enough laws to remove incentive for investing in start ups which can give them competition.
The manufacturing base has been removed, particularly from small companies. The company I mentioned, if they were still in business would probably be able to deliver the part before day 14 ( most likely done by day 7 depending upon complexity.)
I am not asking for a hand out. I want opportunity. I want a chance to succeed. When China can made finished goods and ship them here and have a good profit margin, for less than it costs me for raw materials, I cannot be successful.
As I have indicated there are a great many people in the USA with fantastic innovations that simply cannot get to market because of the investment climate. A few get investment, but very few, and they give up everything. I personally know of one person who started then sold three companies for almost a billion dollars, and his cut was under $10 million.
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I know about the raw material costs, we use stainless billet, bronze, aluminum and other "blends" for our components. All of these materials are traded on the stock market globally because they are a commodity. Yes, the currency value is definitely the issue with China trade. So, if that becomes an issue and get's "rectified", will that brings jobs back here, will it reduce the cost of manufacturing here. Not likely, it will just cost us even more to "do business" in a global economy. The cold hard truth, so many in this country have literally given up. Given up trying to excel, to achieve, to prosper, for so many more reasons than is realized.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#1063 Nov 7, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I know about the raw material costs, we use stainless billet, bronze, aluminum and other "blends" for our components. All of these materials are traded on the stock market globally because they are a commodity. Yes, the currency value is definitely the issue with China trade. So, if that becomes an issue and get's "rectified", will that brings jobs back here, will it reduce the cost of manufacturing here. Not likely, it will just cost us even more to "do business" in a global economy. The cold hard truth, so many in this country have literally given up. Given up trying to excel, to achieve, to prosper, for so many more reasons than is realized.
OK, now we have gotten to a point where we can agree. Yes, currency is an issue making the field favor the Chinese, and discourages Americans. Why bother getting an education when you can't find a job anyway, and since you won't get a job, how can one justify the debt to get the education? I know people who have been looking for good jobs for over 10 years, with no opportunity. It is easy to understand why they are discouraged.(I am not saying I approve of giving up, just that I understand why some do.)

I agree that many have given up. The jobs were intentionally removed and the people left, by their own government without opportunity.

Leveling the playing field by rectifying the currency issue is just one of several components of restoring competitiveness. Bringing back manufacturing is a tricky business anyway. Manufacturing has changed, with much more automation involved, so the jobs are very different than they used to be.

The silver lining is that within the US there is tremendous innovation that if funded could resurrect the nation's economy. I advocate simply raising taxes for the rich. While that sounds backwards it has an interesting effect. When the tax rates increase, the rich simply look for loopholes to keep their money. Understandably so. The loophole they can find is that by investing, that money is not taxed, and they can shelter other income. They get a double increase for investing. If the investment returns well, they get an increase, if it returns poorly, they get a tax reduction. Either way they win. If they invest a lot, some win and some lose, the ones that lose provide a tax shelter for the ones that win. The point is that the innovations get funded and we all win.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#1064 Nov 7, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, now we have gotten to a point where we can agree. Yes, currency is an issue making the field favor the Chinese, and discourages Americans. Why bother getting an education when you can't find a job anyway, and since you won't get a job, how can one justify the debt to get the education? I know people who have been looking for good jobs for over 10 years, with no opportunity. It is easy to understand why they are discouraged.(I am not saying I approve of giving up, just that I understand why some do.)
I agree that many have given up. The jobs were intentionally removed and the people left, by their own government without opportunity.
Leveling the playing field by rectifying the currency issue is just one of several components of restoring competitiveness. Bringing back manufacturing is a tricky business anyway. Manufacturing has changed, with much more automation involved, so the jobs are very different than they used to be.
The silver lining is that within the US there is tremendous innovation that if funded could resurrect the nation's economy. I advocate simply raising taxes for the rich. While that sounds backwards it has an interesting effect. When the tax rates increase, the rich simply look for loopholes to keep their money. Understandably so. The loophole they can find is that by investing, that money is not taxed, and they can shelter other income. They get a double increase for investing. If the investment returns well, they get an increase, if it returns poorly, they get a tax reduction. Either way they win. If they invest a lot, some win and some lose, the ones that lose provide a tax shelter for the ones that win. The point is that the innovations get funded and we all win.
I agree. That was something I mentioned before that paying taxes on inventory was counterproductive. It helps to stagnate progress in the manufacturing sector. One thing that needs to be addressed is a promotion of the technical school training. There will always be a need for mechanics, machine repairmen, machine operators and the like. Tradespeople are getting harder to come by due to the electronic age. If the government would offer incentives for technical school training, there would be a lot less unemployable youth. Tax increases for the wealthy is a nice idea, and yes, they would seek out ways to avoid taxes. I believe they already tried that with off shore accounts. Most already invest in fortune 500 companies and when they do, they expect a certain return on that investment. If wall street influence was reduced, there may be a shot at private sector companies being directly invested into, rather than going through middle men.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#1065 Nov 7, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. That was something I mentioned before that paying taxes on inventory was counterproductive. It helps to stagnate progress in the manufacturing sector. One thing that needs to be addressed is a promotion of the technical school training. There will always be a need for mechanics, machine repairmen, machine operators and the like. Tradespeople are getting harder to come by due to the electronic age. If the government would offer incentives for technical school training, there would be a lot less unemployable youth. Tax increases for the wealthy is a nice idea, and yes, they would seek out ways to avoid taxes. I believe they already tried that with off shore accounts. Most already invest in fortune 500 companies and when they do, they expect a certain return on that investment. If wall street influence was reduced, there may be a shot at private sector companies being directly invested into, rather than going through middle men.
I see we are finding significant areas of agreement. Paying taxes on inventory seems counter productive to me as well. It does encourage keeping inventory low and through-put high, which reduces overhead, increasing profits. I don't think it is necessary.

I favor education, particularly useful education, but I have seen many such as machine operators who left manufacturing because the jobs went to China. The jobs have been gone long enough now, and their skills have stagnated, and the machines have changed so the would no longer qualify as a skilled operator. Their situation discourages others from trying that field.(Never say Never, Never say always).

The situation about off-shore accounts is they can off-shore the work and the profit, and keep all the money to themselves, not paying even the pittance required. Then what ever they earn on that money is not taxed either. The incentive is removed from investing in the USA. Put the incentives back and the investment will come back. Of course, the currency situation must be resolved. Additionally it makes no sense to me to have companies receive subsidizes for closing down manufacturing plants to reopen them in China. We are actually paying corporations to remove our jobs.

Many years ago, I worked for a company which made replacement tires for automobiles. They manufactured Sears brand tires as well as their own. This had gone on for many years, and Sears decided to change to Michelin tires manufactured in South America. My company went from 3 shifts to 1 and 2/3rds of the people were laid off. The government had a program to help the problem of people getting laid off due to foreign imports. They said tariffs were the problem. If the tariffs were high, jobs were saved, but consumers had to pay more for the products. If the tariffs were zero, consumers paid less, but people were laid off. The solution was to have small tariffs, and use the money from the tariffs to re-train those affected employees. It was called the Trade Readjustment Act. This was only a partial solution because there has to be a trade you can retrain into. Once all the jobs were gone, training won't matter.

I was very disappointed to watch Reagan end the program.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#1066 Nov 7, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I see we are finding significant areas of agreement. Paying taxes on inventory seems counter productive to me as well. It does encourage keeping inventory low and through-put high, which reduces overhead, increasing profits. I don't think it is necessary.
I favor education, particularly useful education, but I have seen many such as machine operators who left manufacturing because the jobs went to China. The jobs have been gone long enough now, and their skills have stagnated, and the machines have changed so the would no longer qualify as a skilled operator. Their situation discourages others from trying that field.(Never say Never, Never say always).
The situation about off-shore accounts is they can off-shore the work and the profit, and keep all the money to themselves, not paying even the pittance required. Then what ever they earn on that money is not taxed either. The incentive is removed from investing in the USA. Put the incentives back and the investment will come back. Of course, the currency situation must be resolved. Additionally it makes no sense to me to have companies receive subsidizes for closing down manufacturing plants to reopen them in China. We are actually paying corporations to remove our jobs.
Many years ago, I worked for a company which made replacement tires for automobiles. They manufactured Sears brand tires as well as their own. This had gone on for many years, and Sears decided to change to Michelin tires manufactured in South America. My company went from 3 shifts to 1 and 2/3rds of the people were laid off. The government had a program to help the problem of people getting laid off due to foreign imports. They said tariffs were the problem. If the tariffs were high, jobs were saved, but consumers had to pay more for the products. If the tariffs were zero, consumers paid less, but people were laid off. The solution was to have small tariffs, and use the money from the tariffs to re-train those affected employees. It was called the Trade Readjustment Act. This was only a partial solution because there has to be a trade you can retrain into. Once all the jobs were gone, training won't matter.
I was very disappointed to watch Reagan end the program.
So true. This was all really hitting the fan about 20 years ago, so many who were being re-trained were doing it in the computer industry, data gathering and research and the like. We need to have durable goods to export again. China sees the USA as their largest exporter, and I suppose we are. We have become their middle men. How long will that last when they make in roads to more 3rd world countries. BYE BYE middle man.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#1067 Nov 7, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. This was all really hitting the fan about 20 years ago, so many who were being re-trained were doing it in the computer industry, data gathering and research and the like. We need to have durable goods to export again. China sees the USA as their largest exporter, and I suppose we are. We have become their middle men. How long will that last when they make in roads to more 3rd world countries. BYE BYE middle man.
Actually the time period for my experience with Michelin was 1979. It started then and kept getting worse and worse and worse. It seems to me like it is an intentional policy of our own government. To some extent I hold them responsible. Not enough tax dollars coming in? How about not creating the circumstances where about 100 million Americans lose their jobs (and their ability to pay taxes).

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1069 Mar 21, 2013
FDR/Truman Liberal!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Small Business Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
a1 best ways to make money online | make money ... Oct 17 PDXEVERGREEN 5
Lawrenceville's mini-milestone: Wildcard turns ... Oct 17 Recartero Moltiop... 1
Chamber names 2014's top businesses Oct 15 Gtown chamber a joke 11
Estate Planning Workshops for Farms and Small B... Oct 15 kurtcooksalot16 1
Syrian Canadians want program to bring in relat... Oct 9 cee 1
Hundreds turn out for opening of Walmart in Eas... Oct 8 clintthebest 1
Profile: Ed Wolmers for Seat 1 council member, ... Oct 6 Ed MacDougall 1

Small Business People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE