New minimum wage in effect for Tennes...

New minimum wage in effect for Tennessee workers

There are 112 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Jul 24, 2007, titled New minimum wage in effect for Tennessee workers. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

When the federal minimum wage increase was debated in Congress, small-business owners and other pro-business groups predicted that its passage would create tremors of economic harm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

#111 Jan 18, 2012
Usgs wrote:
With the vast amount of loans and scholarships available to young people today, the old and tired excuse of economic disadvantage should become extinct. Simply put, true wage should correlate with education and work ethic and should not be artificially imposed by our government.
Merit, not hand holding.
How long have your worked for the Koch Brothers/Heritage Foundation/Americans For Prosperity?
Common sense

Clarkrange, TN

#112 Jan 18, 2012
If im not mistaken simple economics would play into this. The employer pays the employ more, reducing his profit. So then the employer raises the price on his goods to make up the loss. Causing the employ to pay more for the goods they purchase. This is a never endind cycle. Everyone pays when they raise minimum wage.
tiff

Cape Girardeau, MO

#113 Jan 18, 2012
if we had to quit supporting illegals coming over here and immigrants maybe the states will make min. wage increased. cost of living is going up and healthcare b/c all those that are on welfare and we are so over run by immigrants its pathetic that americans cannot get jobs b/c of it. Everyone should stay in their own country....
I had a mexican where I am from attack me and he got off b/c he didnt understand english when his rights were read to him and he was an illegal immigrant that they sat free just b/c he couldnt understand english. Im a nurse and we have to pay translators to come in and talk for them, thats pathetic its AMERICA!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#114 Jan 20, 2012
When I entered the workforce, minimum wage was 3.35 and 2.05 for servers. If the server was good, he or she could far excede the minimum wage every night, so that made the competition for server jobs fierce, and only the best would get those.

Now, with minimum wage at 7.25 and the server wage stuck at 2.13, the servers are now at a disadvantage, as they will have to work even harder to make up the 5.12 difference between their pay rate and the actual minimum wage. On top of this injustice, some resturants also have tip sharing where the server must share a portion of their nightly tips with the hostess and bus people. The server wage should be in line with what minimum wage is, though this will never happen as the resturant owners will use the tired argument of they would have to raise prices 10% to 25% to make up for the increase in the server's minimum wage.
tiff

Cape Girardeau, MO

#115 Jan 20, 2012
servers are unaware of this but read the state labor act - your hourly wage plus tips has to equal minimum wage at the end of ur shift or the employer has to make it up...
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#116 Jan 20, 2012
Someone honestly tell me this; why is a servers minimum wage so darn low to start with? My wife or I always tip 15% and usually higher but this, in my mind, "should be" a bonus to their already substantial salary but that's not the way it is. Other than ~~the government says so~~....why?

Since: Aug 11

Ooltewah, TN

#117 Jan 21, 2012
tiff wrote:
servers are unaware of this but read the state labor act - your hourly wage plus tips has to equal minimum wage at the end of ur shift or the employer has to make it up...
That is true, but it is state to state. If a company employs servers they should have to pay minimum wage and the tips be what they are supposed to be; a bonus from the customer for the server doing a good job. There are many other jobs where tipping is recommended and those people receive minimum wage plus their tips. Tipping is not required, only recommended. In Washington state servers make minimum wage plus tips. I would be curious to see how many States pay minimum wage to their servers.
tired

Knoxville, TN

#118 Jan 21, 2012
russellb01 wrote:
A minimum wage increase is doing nothing more than enabling most people who work for that kind of wage no kind of incintive to do anything more with thier lives. Most minimum wage workers are those in the fast food industry, there are a few diamonds in the rough that go on to be managers, supervisors, and CEO's. But in most cases this is not true. Police, EMS, Fire people do not make much more than that to serve and protect us. With a minimum wage increase should be a responsability increase as well.
u are an idiot! With the economy the way it is the only jobs around after manufacturing left is ur walmarts and mcds. If police are makin just slightly more then how do patrol officers live in neighborhoods with 200000 houses.

“Having Fun”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#119 Jan 23, 2012
At least with this recession, we're no longer having runaway inflation!
That guy

United States

#121 Feb 28, 2013
Any economic change can be good or bad depending what's the individuals financial position in life is. Putting it in a collage part time "burger flipper " making 7.25 they'll look forward to a dollar seventy five raise.but the other guy that has worked for the same company for years and making 9 an hour or more will be upset,due to the null raises worked for.if the company working for does a large pay cut in a that's the company keeping them selves form suffering any loss or"keeping there pockets lined". If happens I would consider better employment. The government lines there pockets mostly when paying taxes.small business will suffer for a lil wile until it equals out after a few years. In the end only real changes is US currency drops a few more points and human greed increases .in this debate no one is wrong it's just where you stand.
butereye

Maryville, TN

#122 Mar 1, 2013
Rusty Shackleford wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I believe it is you that doesn't understand economics. While the benefits you cited are plausible, the goods moving off those shelves you speak of will be more expensive for those that keep their jobs. More of your taxes can be used to pay unemployment to those laid off when the businesses no longer were willing to pay higher wages. This will in no way create jobs.
you republicans said the same thing when the min. wage was 1.00 a hour.
kathleen

Dillsboro, NC

#123 Feb 12, 2014
I am a RN....I have a degree...There are no opportunities for nurses with an associate degree in eastern tn...I am 50 years old and most places would rather have younger employees with B'S in nursing.....going back to school not an option for me as I am raising my kids......so I am a server...give great service and when add one one passes out in the restaurant and n pulls me off my tables to help them out..... they don't clock me out as a server and clock me in as a nurse.....wake up people....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Small Business Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diaper-changing discrepancy prompts Columbus Co... Jun 16 Franklin County 24
News Akron Urban League Renews Its Partnership to Ai... Jun 10 Mr Shhhhh 1
News Albuquerque business burglarized for sixth time Jun 9 Lorui 4
News Columbus schools again skip bidding process for... Jun 8 Oliver Canterberr... 4
News Small businesses in clean energy sector still h... Jun 7 Solarman 1
News Is a $15 minimum wage good? (13 photos)The Cham... Jun 2 Canadian Bacon 2
News Man Who Once Ran One of the World's Largest Cor... Jun 1 Into The Night 4
More from around the web