New minimum wage in effect for Tennessee workers

Full story: WBIR Knoxville

When the federal minimum wage increase was debated in Congress, small-business owners and other pro-business groups predicted that its passage would create tremors of economic harm.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of112
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
race against time

Clinton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

It would be hard to help raise a family on $10.00 per hour. The government really needs to pay the hard working people for the work they do and stop lining their own pockets.
pap

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

sometimes when you think that you are getting ahead,on down the line the shaft might follow.lol.
smt

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

SERVERS ONLY GET 2.13 AN HOUR!!!!!!! THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT KITCHEN WORKERS
Usgs

Dickson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

With the vast amount of loans and scholarships available to young people today, the old and tired excuse of economic disadvantage should become extinct. Simply put, true wage should correlate with education and work ethic and should not be artificially imposed by our government.

Merit, not hand holding.
ugh

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

Minimum wage always has the same or lower level of buying power soon after a raise.

Everyone else just got at least $.70 an hour paycut.

The extra labor cost (plus a little extra for good measure) will be passed along in everything. Do you really think businesses will foot the bill out of the goodness of their hearts?

The key is not raising minimum wage. The key is raising people to not view minimum wage jobs as a career.
Chuckie

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

ugh wrote:
Minimum wage always has the same or lower level of buying power soon after a raise.
Everyone else just got at least $.70 an hour paycut.
The extra labor cost (plus a little extra for good measure) will be passed along in everything. Do you really think businesses will foot the bill out of the goodness of their hearts?
The key is not raising minimum wage. The key is raising people to not view minimum wage jobs as a career.
That's right on target! People are so short sighted. The immediate benefit is that the low wage earners got a raise. A year from now, their buying power won't be any different since the cost of everything will go up to pay the required wages. All the rest of us that earn more than minimum wage just got a buying-power cut. I feel even worse for those on fixed incomes. A lot of people's pensions don't change over time. Perhaps the government should look into that instead.
KOJACK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

THE HECK OF IT IS THAT THAT RAISE WILL PUT THEM IN A HIGHER TAX BRACKET AND THE GOVERMENT WILL GET THE MONEY.

WHEN I RETIRED I WAS MAKING OVER $20.00 AN HOUR OPERATING A 30,000HP MILL FOR ALCOA WITH FREE HEALTH INSURANCE AND IT WAS HARD TO RAISE CHILDREN, AND PAY FOR A HOUSE.

HOW THE PEOPLE OF OUR OWN GOVERMENT CAN DO THIS TO THEIR OWN PEOPLE I CAN'T UNDERSTAND. WELL YES I CAN UNDERSTAND. THEY DON'T GIVE A DA*N ABOUT THE LITTLE PERSON OR THE OLD PERSON
Harper

Springfield, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

Serious wrote:
Watch the inflation rate now. The rest of us who have worked our way up to make decent wages are going to be scr@wed by this giveaway. The highschool burger flippers that don't get laid off will get some new cash and the rest of us and them will suffer. The idiots clamoring for this have no understanding of economics
What do you think the high-school burger flipper will do with that new cash? Perhaps spend it in a retail store? Creating jobs for others and keeping manufactured goods moving off of shelves - maybe you don't understand economics.
KOJACK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

I THINK IT'S ABOUT TIME TO BRING THE WAR HOME AND THROW A LITTLE TEA IN BOSTON HARBOR.
Wash

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

Harper wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think the high-school burger flipper will do with that new cash? Perhaps spend it in a retail store? Creating jobs for others and keeping manufactured goods moving off of shelves - maybe you don't understand economics.
Yes, because the high school burger flipper is renown for their spending power. I believe the other poster had an understanding of economics just fine.
Megan

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

What about servers? Are we still ONLY getting $2.13 an hour?
KOJACK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Harper wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN

Since: Jul 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

A minimum wage increase is doing nothing more than enabling most people who work for that kind of wage no kind of incintive to do anything more with thier lives. Most minimum wage workers are those in the fast food industry, there are a few diamonds in the rough that go on to be managers, supervisors, and CEO's. But in most cases this is not true. Police, EMS, Fire people do not make much more than that to serve and protect us. With a minimum wage increase should be a responsability increase as well.
Rusty Shackleford

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Harper wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I believe it is you that doesn't understand economics. While the benefits you cited are plausible, the goods moving off those shelves you speak of will be more expensive for those that keep their jobs. More of your taxes can be used to pay unemployment to those laid off when the businesses no longer were willing to pay higher wages. This will in no way create jobs.
Harper

Springfield, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Judged:

Well, maybe you're all correct and the economy is going to completely collapse because of a minimum wage increase. I'll start stashing money in my sock drawer for the great depression.
david

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

KOJACK wrote:
THE HECK OF IT IS THAT THAT RAISE WILL PUT THEM IN A HIGHER TAX BRACKET AND THE GOVERMENT WILL GET THE MONEY.
WHEN I RETIRED I WAS MAKING OVER $20.00 AN HOUR OPERATING A 30,000HP MILL FOR ALCOA WITH FREE HEALTH INSURANCE AND IT WAS HARD TO RAISE CHILDREN, AND PAY FOR A HOUSE.
HOW THE PEOPLE OF OUR OWN GOVERMENT CAN DO THIS TO THEIR OWN PEOPLE I CAN'T UNDERSTAND. WELL YES I CAN UNDERSTAND. THEY DON'T GIVE A DA*N ABOUT THE LITTLE PERSON OR THE OLD PERSON
if you was making 20.00 dollors hrs and still could not aford to live , i want to no what kind of life you were living?
Proud Mother of twins

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Dang How many kids do you have and how big is your house?????
Little people meaning??? The people who make as much as you or less???
My husband makes brings home about 700.00 every two weeks and we have three kids, a house note, car note and electric bill and we still have money left over. 20 an hour I think we would finally take a vacation.
KOJACK wrote:
BigJohn- LaFollette- Tn

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

Judged:

don't seem fair, Check todays paper and see what kind of raise the govenor is giving his buddies. It is well above .70 cents an hour and for doing what?
future CPA

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

Judged:

Minium wage raise causes the employer that might be getting ready to hire 3 people to cut back to 1 or 2. These types of raises hurts the ones that it is supposed to help. Minimun wage is there to keep the unskilled and teenagers from being taken advantage of, not to live off of. Glad to see the wage has went up 70 cents or 28.00 a week on a 40 hour week, but how much will one really see after taxes? 18 to 20 dollars? This amounts to less than a half of tank of gas at today's prices. Those of us who are making way above minimum will not see a reciprical raise in our checks, so everyone looses in my book.
smt

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

Megan wrote:
What about servers? Are we still ONLY getting $2.13 an hour?
I WAS MAKING SURE EVERYONE ON THIS PAGE REALIZES THAT A SERVERS INCOME IS SOLELY BASED ON TIPS -- AND THAT WE HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON THE FOOD THEY EAT !!!

I AM SERIOUS WHEN I SAY THAT MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT WE ACTUALLY GET A PAYCHECK!!! LOL -- TIP YOUR SERVERS WELL PEOPLE

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of112
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Small Business Discussions

Search the Small Business Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sealmaxx (May '06) 14 hr Out of sight guarentee 66
Easy Earnings, Get Paid to Review Products Jul 4 nexus888 1
Go South Young Man; The Pacific Alliance Presen... Jul 1 Cali 1
Bitcoin continues to increase sales for busines... Jun 28 JohnDo 4
Supporting young entrepreneurs will keep econom... Jun 27 trickys kind of news 4 u 1
North Adams Liquor Store Owners Slam License Re... Jun 25 not bob is not smart 4
Cuba's Budding Entrepreneurs Travel A Rocky Roa... Jun 24 HitlerCastroAsesino 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••