Arizona passes controversial anti-gay...

Arizona passes controversial anti-gay bill

There are 236 comments on the KGWN story from Feb 21, 2014, titled Arizona passes controversial anti-gay bill. In it, KGWN reports that:

Arizona's Legislature has passed a controversial bill that would allow business owners, as long as they assert their religious beliefs, to deny service to gay and lesbian customers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KGWN.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#1 Feb 21, 2014
Lawsuits WILL follow.......and this bill will be tossed!!!
david traversa

Argentina

#2 Feb 21, 2014
An embarrassment to intelligent , well-educated Kentuckians .. Evelyn Waugh called some sections of the Bible " the Alice in Wonderland " parts ..
Dwayne

Culver City, CA

#3 Feb 21, 2014
Seems like the word "unconstitutional" has come to mean "doesn't suck up to queers".
Campy

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Feb 21, 2014
david traversa wrote:
An embarrassment to intelligent , well-educated Kentuckians .. Evelyn Waugh called some sections of the Bible " the Alice in Wonderland " parts ..
David, this thread is about Arizona, not Kentucky.
Is it dark up there where your head is at?

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#5 Feb 21, 2014
That bill SB1062 would exempt religious bakers, photographers and other religious service industry owners from having to participate in Satanic rituals, also. But, religion is a protected class as much as race, gender, etc. are. For many Christians, gay wedding ceremonies may as well be a Satanic ritual.

Since: Nov 09

Columbus OH

#6 Feb 21, 2014
There needs to be business owners in Arizona that refuse to serve Republicans because being a Republican is against the business owner's religion. Give them a taste of their own medicine. Oh and by the way, there is a small event called the Super Bowl coming to Phoenix next year. Maybe the NFL should hold it someplace else.

#9 Feb 21, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
That bill SB1062 would exempt religious bakers, photographers and other religious service industry owners from having to participate in Satanic rituals, also. But, religion is a protected class as much as race, gender, etc. are. For many Christians, gay wedding ceremonies may as well be a Satanic ritual.
So is sexual orientation and when SCOTUS rules on the photographer's case from New Mexico......this bill might be gone before it goes into affect!!!

Hey Satanist are a protected Religious class.......you might not like how they can treat ya!!!
david traversa

Argentina

#10 Feb 21, 2014
The above was meant for the article on Kentucky , sorry .. But it could very well apply here also .. Love the pizzeria in Tucson which ( roughly ) carried the following warning : "This establishment does not serve state legislators " or words to that effect .: But maybe they could still sneak in .. in their drag outfits ..
david traversa

Argentina

#11 Feb 21, 2014
Campy wrote:
<quoted text>
David, this thread is about Arizona, not Kentucky.
Is it dark up there where your head is at?
My dear CAmpy : My head is usually up there in the clouds ( idealism ).. And what is an intelligent guy like you doing down there with the Philistines ? Puzzling ..

Location hidden

#12 Feb 21, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
So is sexual orientation and when SCOTUS rules on the photographer's case from New Mexico......this bill might be gone before it goes into affect!!!
Hey Satanist are a protected Religious class.......you might not like how they can treat ya!!!
-
Right! And Christians should have the right to refuse to participate in a Satanic religious rite or ritual to which they are diametrically opposed. That's where this idea of business owners being obliged to participate in events that are diametrically opposed to the tenets of their religion falls apart. Forcing religious people to participate in gay weddings is an entirely similar circumstance.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#14 Feb 21, 2014
About darn time.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Feb 21, 2014
nealcmh wrote:
There needs to be business owners in Arizona that refuse to serve Republicans because being a Republican is against the business owner's religion. Give them a taste of their own medicine. Oh and by the way, there is a small event called the Super Bowl coming to Phoenix next year. Maybe the NFL should hold it someplace else.
If Brewer signs it; she's setting Arizona up for an immediate beatdown because Federal Law specifically prohibits discrimination by public accommodations based on religion
http://www.citizensource.com/History/20thCen/...

#16 Feb 21, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
We will see how SCOTUS rules this June........my guess is you WON'T like the ruling!!!

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#17 Feb 21, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If Brewer signs it; she's setting Arizona up for an immediate beatdown because Federal Law specifically prohibits discrimination by public accommodations based on religion
http://www.citizensource.com/History/20thCen/...
Right, because in a liberal's mind, unless you're a muslim terrorist, you can stick your religious beliefs up your ars. But if anyone dares refuse service to a transvestite, watch out.
Marcavage s Trick

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Feb 21, 2014
"As we witness hostility towards people of faith grow like never before, we must take this opportunity to speak up for religious liberty...."

The hostility meter is 180 degrees out of kilter.

Wait until we start passing laws saying that service in places of public accommodation may be refused to fundie xstains on the basis of the business owner's muslim or hindi or scientologist or jewish or quaker beliefs.

Then we'll hear a different tune from the talibangelicals regarding "religious liberty."
alan

Lincoln, CA

#19 Feb 21, 2014
Is this 1963?? Where is our Martin Luther Queen??

Location hidden

#20 Feb 21, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
We will see how SCOTUS rules this June........my guess is you WON'T like the ruling!!!
-
I hope they take what I pointed out into consideration. Can they force a person of one religion to participate in the rites and rituals of another? How would you like it if you were forced by the government to participate in a KKK meeting or a Nazi reunion? Well, it's like that as it concerns Christians, Muslims and other religions if they have to participate in heathen homosexual rites, ceremonies or rituals.

Location hidden

#22 Feb 21, 2014
Marcavage s Trick wrote:
"As we witness hostility towards people of faith grow like never before, we must take this opportunity to speak up for religious liberty...."
The hostility meter is 180 degrees out of kilter.
Wait until we start passing laws saying that service in places of public accommodation may be refused to fundie xstains on the basis of the business owner's muslim or hindi or scientologist or jewish or quaker beliefs.
Then we'll hear a different tune from the talibangelicals regarding "religious liberty."
-
I wouldn't care. I'd just go elsewhere. Like I don't patronize gay bath houses or gyms. Why would I want to patronize those awful places anyway?
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#23 Feb 21, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>-
I wouldn't care. I'd just go elsewhere. Like I don't patronize gay bath houses or gyms. Why would I want to patronize those awful places anyway?
You have borne false witness. If some business tossed your fundie butt out the door on the basis of the business owner's religious beliefs you, or some other christianist, would sue the next day.

We know this because people like you support that fundie whack a doodle who got properly thrown out of her psychology program in GA (?) because she said she'd never work with a glbt client...and then sued the university for tossing her. And there are lots and lots and lots of other examples of christianist fundies suing over their supposedly abridged rights.

You sick, ignorant filth.

And you'd patronize gay bathhouses because you're homosexually obsessed, obviously. But you'd get drunk first.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#25 Feb 22, 2014
This is the equivalent of saying anyone can refuse service for any reason and that will never, never change (in terms of logic). By this bill's logic, anyone can refuse *anyone* for any reason -- in violation, it should be noted, of federal law.

Logic says that lawsuits are going to nullify this. By the flip side of the same token, logic says that if this is not nullified, lawsuits to *uphold* other forms of business discrimination WILL eventually nullify this, or else those laws will be upheld.

A child could figure this out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Small Business Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jared Kushner 19 hr Mark Rosenkranz 1
News Charles delighted by - irresistible' cheeses on... Mar 24 Cheeses 1
News Another ObamaCare challenge heads to the Suprem... (Oct '15) Mar 24 Obamas Powerful Gun 32
News Baltimore City Council members call on ICE to s... Mar 20 Trump 2020 1
Who is how to build backlinks for seo (Aug '15) Mar 18 Mocksville painter 4
News SEO and content strategies (Aug '13) Mar 16 braveluke 10
News Fertitta hosts a 'Billion Dollar' casting call Mar 14 JunkPhartss 3
More from around the web