Baldwin Park business owner fuming af...

Baldwin Park business owner fuming after Azusa mandates business license for deliveries

There are 63 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Nov 23, 2010, titled Baldwin Park business owner fuming after Azusa mandates business license for deliveries. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

In what experts say is a growing practice for cash-starved local government, cities are aggressively collecting business license fees - even if the business is based in a different city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
James626

Fullerton, CA

#1 Nov 23, 2010
Hey somebody has to pay the slush funds of the city officials
imo

Azusa, CA

#2 Nov 23, 2010
Azusa makes you buy a business license for rental properties too. I have it on good authority that Azusa city building inspectors are now driving around the town checking properties for ANY improvements and fining individuals without permits-they are simply looking for revenue.

One would think they would have enough money floating around from Vulcan. I'm just sayin'...
jkl

Monterey Park, CA

#3 Nov 24, 2010
Make sure you don't drive on Azusa streets without a city license. Lets all skip that city altogether ...
jkl

Monterey Park, CA

#4 Nov 24, 2010
BTW, I'm sure Azusa collects License fee from UPS and Fedex.... yeah right !!!
hey

Glendora, CA

#5 Nov 24, 2010
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Thank you for bring it to light. So does that mean that pizza delivery guys need to get a permit as well. I don't own a small business or live in Azusa and this is ridiculous. How can we fight this and stop it from taking place all over the SGV?
ugh

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Nov 24, 2010
What a scam!! Always see the San Marino stickers on service vehicles as well.

Looks like the costs will need to be passed on to the receiving company who reside in the cities that chose to rob businesses any way they can.
Baldwin Park Says

Pomona, CA

#7 Nov 24, 2010
The city manager is licking his chops on this one. I can say if he tries to enforce this we will make sure all the business who do business with the city will also be required to meet the same deal. That means all those outsiders the city pays for services at parks and rec and to city hall. This law has been on the books for years in every city but never enforced. I suspect Target ,Wal Mart,and Home Depot will not be happy either if this law is enforced. The big companies like Pepsi,Coke, and numerous other big companies who supply all these stores would go broke buying city license in every city they deliver in. I suggest small companies use personal cars and trucks or non marked delivery trucks. We know with the overpaid staff at Azusa city hall they need the money but you watch West Covina will be next they have 7 city managers to pay with benefits and we know Baldwin Park is broke after being caught in their towing scam.
A n observor

Covina, CA

#8 Nov 24, 2010
The practice in San Marino most likely goes to regulating who goes in and out of the city re delivery, gardeners and other businesses going about the residential areas that could be up to something else (not a valid business intent), and revenue collection to pay for this enforcement. Also a cities way to enforce laws re business activities that are conducted in residential areas that do not meet zoning, or other restrictions (i.e. a car repair or welding shop in one's garage,etc. Unfortunately this has switched over to another revenue generating item. Covina last year passed something to collect $35 called a Hazardous Waste Fee. I operate a small seasonal business income tax business (open only 3 mos full time, 4 hrs per wee the rest of the year). It is in a local strip mall where all can see what does (or in my case does not) go on. They said I had to pay it for an inspection. During my busy time I generate less trash than a 1 person apartment, and the other 9 mos about 3 regualr trash cans full of trash. I even recycle most of my trash for cardboard, water/soda bottles and toners. The questinaire wanted to know what kind of hazardous waste I produced, I was dumbfounded. I could only think of the bathroom, so I said human sxxx. They wanted to know what 5 minute time of day I produced the most. I asked was I supposed to sit outside and time and measure what my employees did in there? I am sure the city hall produces more in one day than my office does in 1 year. They said this was for the "inspector" to come out. This is totally ridiculous. BTW, he never came, or just peeked in the window and saw nothing going on.

Another thing they did was tack on a $35 administrive fee to the regular business license. When I asked why they had to charge me $35 to pay for the collection of my license, the response was that a fee is set by the city administration, and did not need city council approval.

If these people keep this up there will be a society so cynical it will cave in, and the valid programs such as what San Marino started will be at risk.

No one wants to give up thier gig, protect their own deal at the expense of all others, no matter how ridiculous. Reminds me of the line about educators, "I got a good deal going, making a lot of money, retirement, sick leave, off 3 mos in summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in spring plus several other holidays and 10 other personal days a year. Just what do I do with those damn kids?(Sorry to those who do a great job in education, this was just a joke).
Ursus Horribilis

Torrance, CA

#10 Nov 24, 2010
hey wrote:
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Thank you for bring it to light. So does that mean that pizza delivery guys need to get a permit as well. I don't own a small business or live in Azusa and this is ridiculous. How can we fight this and stop it from taking place all over the SGV?
The only way to stop this is to stay on top of your local city councils. It means one or two evenings a week out of your life, but this is what it takes to keep your city from becoming Bell or Maywood.
The biggest problem is cities are run by 1. Revenue collections, 2. "squeaky wheels".
Licenses, fees, city taxes, fines, etc. are the source of revenue. The squeky wheels are the busybodies who have nothing to do and nowhere to go on Tuesday or Wednesday nights and spend their evenings behind the microphone at the city council meetings. These are the people responsible for some, if not most, of the stupid expenditures and regulations.
Unless one gets involved, YOU WILL BE WALKED UPON by these two major influences.
Fair Tax

Ontario, CA

#11 Nov 24, 2010
The work was done in Baldwin Park where Tony has a business license and the Client He brought the finished product to in Azusa has a business license.Tony should not be required to have to pay Azusa His business is in Baldwin Park and that is where he does all the work.
Steve

Whittier, CA

#12 Nov 24, 2010
So they pay some guy 50K, a truck, insurance, ect
Cost the city maybe 100K a year.
Thats a lot of fines to just break even.
Sounds like a power trip to me.
Businessman in Azusa

Azusa, CA

#13 Nov 24, 2010
Isn't Azusa up for being "Most business friendly" city to small businesses"?
Jerry

Alhambra, CA

#14 Nov 24, 2010
So that means that the UPS man must have a business license as well and the Fedex guy and every truck driver making deliveries to stores, public transportation etc etc. What a crock!
just thinking

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 24, 2010
So does evey company that make a delivery to Costco have to pay this fee? That's alot of dough.
Citizen

San Dimas, CA

#16 Nov 24, 2010
Pretty soon even if a company vehicle passes thru a city a fee will be required.
And have you noticed the increase in the cost of business licenses. Its called the City of Bell syndrome.
Citizen

San Dimas, CA

#17 Nov 24, 2010
What if we have a fee for all the public employees who work in Azusa?
kgb

Glendale, CA

#18 Nov 24, 2010
He should have had the customer pick it up themselves, or charge enough for delivery to make it up. You don't want anybody in any old beat up truck driving around the city without knowing who they are.
highdesertlady

Victorville, CA

#19 Nov 24, 2010
Just another reason for businesses to set up in other countries, no taxes and why our jobs are being outsourced!
Disgusted Azusa Resident

Azusa, CA

#20 Nov 24, 2010
If you have a service man or repair man come to your place, warn them to come incognito. Also, does the teenage babysitter that comes to my house have to buy a stupid business license?????
Listen Up

Azusa, CA

#21 Nov 24, 2010
All business owners, stop doing business in the City of Azusa. If your prospective client lives in Azusa, kindly turn down the business, as much as it may hurt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Small Business Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thunder Bay-Rainy River candidates weigh in on ... Wed Medewiwn 2
7 Reliable Sources Of Lucrative Business Ideas Aug 28 Kevin Martyn 2
News "This Town is Dead": the Long Decline of Arecib... Aug 27 AllANKs 21
News Colorado at legal epicenter for business issues Aug 14 Elise Gingerich 1
News Optimize your website for locals (Sep '10) Aug 9 a suggestion 6
Who is how to build backlinks for seo Aug '15 drups 1
News Installation of hydro a smart metersa to begin ... (Mar '09) Jul '15 surges seen from ... 7
More from around the web