LGBT retirement communities grow in p...

LGBT retirement communities grow in popularity in spite of economic challenges

There are 4 comments on the EDGEonthenet.com News Feed story from May 13, 2010, titled LGBT retirement communities grow in popularity in spite of economic challenges. In it, EDGEonthenet.com News Feed reports that:

Even though the economic downturn has halted construction on some projects, LGBT retirement communities continue to grow in popularity around the country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGEonthenet.com News Feed.

Rev Ray T

Salina, KS

#1 May 13, 2010
This is such heartening news. I have been retired for 7 years and living is straight retirement apartment buildings has been a mixed bag. The staffs have always been kind. But because I refuse to go back in the closet, protective, when I needed it. Still I can tell you it has been a lonely go. That is the down side. The up side? In November my daughter that my X hid from me some 35+ years ago found me on the internet. We have been in contact daily and it is amazing how much we are alike. The end of this month I will be moving to live where she is. Do I believe in miracles? You bet your sweet bippy I do!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 May 14, 2010
I have been retired for a couple of years. My spouse will retire in about 4 more years. I have given much thought to what we will do when we, or even one of us, is not able to continue living in place. I have seen existing retirment homes, both good and bad (for straight folks), but I have never seen one that was gay-friendly (openly so, anyway). I think with the baby-boomers begining to retire more gays will mean more emphasis on such homes. However, I wouldn't expect on in Missouri for another 30 years or so. Bible Belt, you understand. Course by then, I'll be dead.
Chandra Bahadur Dangi

Dallas, TX

#4 Feb 23, 2012
People consider Texas the bible belt too but you'd be surprised how accepting the folks down here can be. Just don't live out in the small towns and you'll be fine. I have a gay doctor in Dallas and there are gay elected officials here so hate crimes, etc aren't tolerated.
avion

Midlothian, TX

#5 Feb 24, 2012
Not all gay retirees can afford a $200,000 villa in Palm Springs. I would like to see more affordable retirement communities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Retirement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steve Westly: California pensions are its $206 ... Aug 1 Solarman 1
News Towns try to weather economic storm (Jan '10) Jun '17 Joe Mamma 4
News UPS to Freeze Pensions for 70,000 Nonunion Work... Jun '17 Trucker1 1
News Trump looms over Georgia special election, a pr... Jun '17 Holy Guacamole 2
News The EU's plan to fight 'inequality' is undermin... Jun '17 Lanny 1
News Trump's proposed $4.1 trillion budget slashes f... May '17 bohart 3
News Ex-Police Chief Buffis to sell home to pay for ... (Sep '13) May '17 Irate taxpayer 38
More from around the web