Debbie

Winter Haven, FL

#22 Nov 20, 2009
Mark Bratek

Jacksonville, FL

#23 Nov 20, 2009
I like your spirit. You obviously are a little misinformed. Advisors are paid a one time commission, which is paid by the investment company not the investor. It is the same regardless of investment. So if the commission paid is 7% gross (shared with the borker dealer and principal) that is a one itme event. So if the investment is a 5-7 year live that is just over 1% per year. Very few people are borrowing at 7-8% right now. As an advisor I beleive only 30-40% of a healthy portfolio should have alternative investments, including REITS. I like the asset class as it is stable and backed by a real asset. If you are a stock investor, good for you. But ask yourself what are you really holding. It is the good faith and credit worthiness of the company you invest in. Just ask the people who lost millions this year by investing with CIT Group, GM and others. If you think earning a 6-8% dividend on your money is a bad thing in this day and age then you are a much better investor than most people. Most people lost alot of money due to the instability of the market and economy. A REIT is just one alternative investment that give people an option.
Mark Bratek

Jacksonville, FL

#24 Nov 20, 2009
I can schedule a call with an investment company if you want so you can ask them all the tough quesitons. You pick the REIT and I will get them to you.
give me a hollar
Debbie

Davenport, FL

#25 Nov 29, 2009
Mark Bratek

Jacksonville, FL

#26 Dec 8, 2009
Thanks. that was good information.
ulebwise

American Fork, UT

#27 Dec 9, 2009
Dan wrote:
Thanks Fackler,
Any idea what the investors in Cole III can expect as far as reasonable price per share value after 3 years assuming the market is healthy?
Also, my broker said that Cole III properties will be sold off after 5 years. Is this your understanding?
Appreciate any information you might have. Thanks.
Dan
Coles is a great firm that I have worked with for many years. Coles 3 will be sold when the market is good for selling it and not until. Coles business model is for income first and capital gains second. So if you want to make a killing in the real estate market go somewhere else. If you are happy to get a good dividend of 6-7% with the prospects down the road of picking up another 20-40% when it sells, with very conservative properties, then Coles is right for you.
Also it is not a negative that Coles is illiquid. This is done to protect your money. If other investors wanted to bail out for whatever reason, the forced liquidations would drive down the value of your shares. Forcing people to stay in for 3 years maintains stability for everyone. If normal mutual funds had had this option during 2008 we wouldn't have seen such huge losses in the market.
Hope this helps-
Mark Bratek

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Dec 10, 2009
This is true for most REITs. I agree with you on that point. I think REIT are one of the few safe investments and recommend to most of my clients that they are part of their portfolio.
ulebwise wrote:
<quoted text>
Coles is a great firm that I have worked with for many years. Coles 3 will be sold when the market is good for selling it and not until. Coles business model is for income first and capital gains second. So if you want to make a killing in the real estate market go somewhere else. If you are happy to get a good dividend of 6-7% with the prospects down the road of picking up another 20-40% when it sells, with very conservative properties, then Coles is right for you.
Also it is not a negative that Coles is illiquid. This is done to protect your money. If other investors wanted to bail out for whatever reason, the forced liquidations would drive down the value of your shares. Forcing people to stay in for 3 years maintains stability for everyone. If normal mutual funds had had this option during 2008 we wouldn't have seen such huge losses in the market.
Hope this helps-
Concerned Shareholder

Huntsville, AL

#29 Dec 12, 2009
Mark Bratek wrote:
I like the portflio HTA acquired from Grubb and Ellis it is a very good one.
Mark,

HTA did not acquire its portfolio from Grubb & Ellis. Scott Oeters resigned from Grubb & Ellis and board took the REIT without shareholder approval.

HTA Q3 performance is at 39% and G&A over $13m. All key factors going in the wrong direction. I got my clients out before they clsoe down the SRP.
Concerned Shareholder

Huntsville, AL

#30 Dec 25, 2009
Mark Bratek wrote:
I like the portflio HTA acquired from Grubb and Ellis it is a very good one.
Mark,

Question - Why did you say HTa purchased the portfolio from Grubb & Ellis? What have you read from the filings that mentions this? Scott Peters stole the REIT from Grubb & Ellis and is now charging all these fees to himself - without shareholder approval.
I would seel you sahres ASAP.
Debbie

Winter Haven, FL

#31 Dec 28, 2009
http://newsblaze.com/story/200912111326010000...

I would research Concerned Shareholder's claims before making a decision to sell.
Debbie

Winter Haven, FL

#32 Jan 5, 2010
Debbie

Winter Haven, FL

#33 Jan 5, 2010
Genuine in LA

Disputanta, VA

#34 Jan 14, 2010
I was under the impression that Cole 2 can be sold back to the company after a certain holding period which I forget how long. Is this true?
MLL

Mount Pleasant, SC

#35 Feb 2, 2010
Why does commission matter? Are they supposed to do it for free? Is it a crime for someone to make money from placing someone in a product that consistently pays their client 6-8% with low stock market correlation? How much money did these investors loose when the market sold off 40%?
The non public REITs also have shares for managed accounts so there is no front end load but to repsond if the REIT holds the properties for 10 years and using your extreme the advisor makes 8% which I have no idea if they do thats .0080 % per year.
I am an RIA and wouldnt even consider managing and account for less than 1% annually. Im not in business to lose money and neither are my clients!
If you can accept 6-8%, low stock market correlation, potential capital appreciation at the end of the cycle, in exchange for liquidity it might be right for you.
If youre so miserable that you are hung up on what your advisor makes from a transaction tell him you want to open a fee based account. If he wont get a new broker, but if youre really worried about a small business owner being profitable get a life.
Debbie

Winter Haven, FL

#36 Feb 4, 2010
Ron

Manhattan, KS

#37 Feb 4, 2010
I have $100,000.00 invested in Cole and thinking about investing another $100,000.00. There's very few places you can make a good return nowdays. All the safe investments are paying very little. Cole offsets the cds and tax free bonds. Any thoughts on how much risk I'm taking investing in Cole. Thanks
Sherri

Des Allemands, LA

#38 Feb 4, 2010
Ron wrote:
I have $100,000.00 invested in Cole and thinking about investing another $100,000.00. There's very few places you can make a good return nowdays. All the safe investments are paying very little. Cole offsets the cds and tax free bonds. Any thoughts on how much risk I'm taking investing in Cole. Thanks
Ron, Please make sure to research and get comfortable with the lack of liquidity these REITs have currently. Assuming you are comfortable with the possibility of not being able to redeem any of the REIT until they allow redemptions and that this is not a significant part of your portfolio then it is an option worth considering.
Sherri

Des Allemands, LA

#39 Feb 4, 2010
Ron wrote:
You may want to read this link, particularly the posted comments at the end.

http://www.investorprotection.com/blog/2009/0...
Ron

Manhattan, KS

#40 Feb 5, 2010
Sherri, Thanks for the input! My concern is never getting your investment back. I get my 6.75% monthly and was told I would get back the $100,000.00 in 5 years. As long as it comes back before 10 years I'll be happy. Some say it will never return. I'm also invested in Behringer Harvard and they cut my monthly check in half 8 months ago. I'm living on my interest and keeping my pricipal until 62. I have $200,000.00 invested in Behringer and now there only paying me 3.25% instead of 6.5%. Who can you believe nowdays, everyone tells you something different. I don't trust anyone anymore but 1.5% on cds don't work either. Thanks
Stan

Memphis, TN

#41 Feb 8, 2010
Please don't go by what your advisor says but read the prospectus - all of it. 13% of the initial money goes to commissions and various fees. There is no guarantee of continuation of dividends or principal. If you think they can buy real estate and then sell it in a few years for a huge profit, go for it. If the real estate doesnt go up they won't be able to liquidate it. If they ever sell a property then Cole gets 3% of that. There are all kinds of fees in this thing - mostly to Cole and to the advisors. Your much better off with a publicly traded REIT. Redemptions are capped at 5% of the fund per year and only to the extend that they take in that much each year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

REIT Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
China lacks high-quality assets to support reit... Oct '14 RayH 1
Bahrain bourse preparing Islamic product range Oct '14 MOMIN ANSARI 1
Public Storage Secures $700M Loan (Dec '13) Aug '14 Seth Ashford 2
Turner lands $2.3B deal, sells senior care REIT Aug '14 Jessie 1
A rental property for retirement income: Is it ... Jul '14 your stories here 1
Retrocom real estate trust to pay $179 million ... Jul '14 David 1
Landmark Apartment Trust Announces Acquisition ... Jun '14 Joe 1

REIT People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE