NoHo on verge of comeback

NoHo on verge of comeback

There are 14 comments on the LA Daily News story from Mar 5, 2010, titled NoHo on verge of comeback. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Lupe Garcia sensed the economic wind shift in January at her NoHo Arts District furniture store.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

LABornAndRaised

Lomita, CA

#1 Mar 5, 2010
Great article. I'm curious to know which prospective tenants are vying for the HOWS location.
Goober

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Mar 6, 2010
I swear, as a former NoHo resident, I have tracked this story for years. It's a rerun. Every few years the Daily News pulls out the headline, "NoHo on the verge." It's a stale community that calls itself an arts district, but managed to kick all the artists out with high rents. Then Tom LaBonge put the nails in the coffin by making the parking meters too expensive and causing theater patrons to have to get up in the middle of their shows to feed the meters. Lots of expensive "artist lofts" and no artists. Quit running this story or do some actual reporting on the area rather than disguised publicity for a failed community.
George W Bush

Van Nuys, CA

#3 Mar 6, 2010
Its an armpit .just like the rest of the SFV .. nothing more than an extension of Van Nuys ..calling it NO HO or Valley Village doesn't change a thing, and the only thing its on the verge of becoming is Mexico
Norman Moore

Milton, FL

#4 Mar 6, 2010
Goober wrote:
I swear, as a former NoHo resident, I have tracked this story for years. It's a rerun. Every few years the Daily News pulls out the headline, "NoHo on the verge." It's a stale community that calls itself an arts district, but managed to kick all the artists out with high rents. Then Tom LaBonge put the nails in the coffin by making the parking meters too expensive and causing theater patrons to have to get up in the middle of their shows to feed the meters. Lots of expensive "artist lofts" and no artists. Quit running this story or do some actual reporting on the area rather than disguised publicity for a failed community.
I am surprised that they claim such high occupancy rates given the exorbitant rents charged. Also this area gets all the attention while another former bustling commercial area near Victory and Laurel Canyon has been left to decay with empty buildings where there once were businesses.

The Daily Snooze does need to get out and drive around and see what is really going on. This article reads like a press release from Paul Krekorian who found it in a file cabinet where Wendy Greuel had left it.
ghj

Ft Mitchell, KY

#5 Mar 6, 2010
GDP grew in the 3rd and 4th quarters, jobs are always lagging the numbers recovery in each recession. Those thinking about long-term recovery, know the enviroment will be a big winner in the conversion to biofuels & biopower -- saw a cool site; Balkingpoints ; incredible satellite view of earth
Arteest

Glendale, CA

#6 Mar 6, 2010
Goober wrote:
It's now the home of successful artists who earn a living at it; not flops and wannabes.
Juice

United States

#7 Mar 7, 2010
The CRA projects benefit the rich.

And the buildings look ugly and uninviting. No green areas.
No Mo

United States

#8 Mar 7, 2010
Nobody even calls it NOHO.

City people have been trying to force that name down our throats for years.

It's like "the southland". The only people who say "southland" are tv weatherpeople.
nikki

San Diego, CA

#9 Mar 7, 2010
@ Juice ¨The CRA projects benefit the rich. And the buildings look ugly and uninviting. No green areas.¨

Right on. They are government paper pushers who have no idea what art is. Time for them to go. How much did they pay for the disaster art piece that is supposed to represent my area?

Dont Be Stupid

Whittier, CA

#10 Mar 7, 2010
There is still a problem. It is in Los Angeles. You need to come to grips with the fact that having Tony Villar as mayor is the BEST you are going to get.

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Mar 8, 2010
Yeah, it's on the "verge".....Like it has for the last quarter century, LOL!!
Good Eats

North Hollywood, CA

#12 Mar 8, 2010
please put a Fresh & Easy in to replace Hows. NO Trader Joes, only Fresh and Easy. Or Henry's.
Adam Villani

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Mar 8, 2010
The demographics are wrong for a Hows. That would work in Studio City, but not in NoHo. I agree that a Fresh & Easy would be a great fit for this spot.

Since: Nov 09

North Hollywood

#14 Mar 8, 2010
Norman Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
I am surprised that they claim such high occupancy rates given the exorbitant rents charged. Also this area gets all the attention while another former bustling commercial area near Victory and Laurel Canyon has been left to decay with empty buildings where there once were businesses.
The Daily Snooze does need to get out and drive around and see what is really going on. This article reads like a press release from Paul Krekorian who found it in a file cabinet where Wendy Greuel had left it.
Only locals who live in this area really know that NoHo refers to a specific area of North Hollywood. North Hollywood is such a large area and has been split up into little pieces over the years as certain areas either retain wealth or slowly gentrify. Case in point, Toluca Lake, Valley Village, Valley Glen(piece of it), Toluca Woods, Toluca Terrace, and now a new section called "Old Lankershim Village." The NoHo Arts District is another piece also referred to as NoHo. The northern boundaries are debated (Burbank Blvd vs Hatteras St), but after you go past that point, it becomes general North Hollywood.

The Valley Plaza and Laurel Plaza areas you refer to is considered general North Hollywood and not NoHo. It is in the plans that once Valley Plaza finally gets developed, the area will also be renamed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

REIT Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News RioCan unlikely to build mall in 401 Corridor (Jun '12) Jun '16 nobody doin nuthin 4
Regulations for investing in a Canadian REIT Jun '16 Claire222 1
News Mall construction set for spring (Feb '12) Feb '16 where xtra parking 8
News Canada's Manulife seeks to revive Singapore Rei... (Jan '16) Jan '16 1100 New York Ave 1
CSG Reit (Aug '15) Aug '15 DickG 1
News Wells Fargo economist: Atlanta may add up to 10... (May '15) Jul '15 Sherman got it right 4
News RioCan legal action could thwart mall competitor (Mar '12) Jul '15 TPO 2
More from around the web