Former Chicago Ridge police chief's pay soared under disability deal

Sep 18, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chicago Sun-Times

Baldermann walked away with disability pay of $129,192 a year - nearly $20,000 more than he made as police chief for the southwest suburb Baldermann, 46, is due to collect more than $2 million in disability pay by the time he turns 60 for the back injury he reported suffering while loading a body into a police van four years ago, After he turns 60, ... (more)

Comments
41 - 60 of 252 Comments Last updated Jan 11, 2013
ridge guy

Oak Lawn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

OUT wrote:
Chicago Ridge Mayor Gene Seigel and his Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos and James Saunoris voted to give this sweat heart deal to Balderman. They Need To Be Defeated When They Run For Re Election In April 2013.
Hurry, before they give themselves sweetheart deals
BALDY GOT CAUGHT

Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

WHERE OH WHERE DID THE BALDERMAN GO......No sight of the KING OF SCAM at casa BALDY for the last few days.....????? What rock is he hiding under....
Fifty Shades of Red

Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

No way wrote:
Sounds like a lot of jealous and angry people here. I would have done the same if I could. Kudos to him for taking advantage of a flawed system. People can only blame themselves for this...he was voted in. Double-dipping, triple-dipping, whatever-it isn't necessarily fair or morally right, but it's legal to do if done by the guidelines and regulations set up. Instead of going after Baldy, we should be going after the ones who made this even possible to do in the first place.
Here is the difference that I see between people like you and Tim, vs honest people. You see a loop hole and automatically you think wow how can I take advantage of that? Then proceed to slither your way through it!
When an honest person sees a problem they tend to want to fix it not exploit it.
So if he proudly takes advantage of a flawed system, knowing that our government is flawed,I wonder how many other loop holes he has found.
Ridge Guy

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

OUT wrote:
Chicago Ridge Mayor Gene Seigel and his Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos and James Saunoris voted to give this sweat heart deal to Balderman. They Need To Be Defeated When They Run For Re Election In April 2013.
Didn't Dan Badon, Don Pratl and Bab's also voted for it?
frustrated taxpayer

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

No way wrote:
Sounds like a lot of jealous and angry people here. I would have done the same if I could. Kudos to him for taking advantage of a flawed system. People can only blame themselves for this...he was voted in. Double-dipping, triple-dipping, whatever-it isn't necessarily fair or morally right, but it's legal to do if done by the guidelines and regulations set up. Instead of going after Baldy, we should be going after the ones who made this even possible to do in the first place.
How about we blame all parties involved. There are NO innocents here. Everyone of them knew what they were doing. Corruption is the reason the state of Illinois is in the shape it's in right now. BROKE!!!!
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Retards wrote:
<quoted text>
my fatber-in-law got a similar deal as balderman, when he retired as a engineer for the CPS. His pension was 90k a year and that was about 17 yrs ago, with a 60k upfront check for vacation and sick time unused. The system is currupt everywhere. I hope if Romney/Ryan win they clean up this crap like Wisconsin did.
I'm not seeing the comparison. Unless he got a salary spike on his last day of work and that check for vacation/sick accumulation was figured into the number they based his pension on then it is not a similar deal. One is legal. One is not.
Another Ridge Guy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Ridge Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't Dan Badon, Don Pratl and Bab's also voted for it?
You might be right. Someone needs to check the minutes on this. If Tim wants to sit back on his porch and say the pension board told him not to be a working chief you have to wonder who is in charge of things. If the Mayor told him to stay at his desk, that should have been the end of his working chief days. Maybe look at whatever contract the article mentions. Why was retirement like Kapelinski's and disability like Baldermant's being discussed like they were the same? They are not the same. Who was on the Board in 2010 when Balderman was approved for permanent disability and full retirement benefits? Wasn't that negotiated because the Board wanted him to leave? Pratl and Babcock were off the board. Another thing. Why would Saunoris let his son-in-law sue the Village anyway? Haven't they had it good enough?
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Question for Hold On:

Am I missing something? People keep referring to a "loophole" as the means to how he got away with this. My understanding is that salary spiking on the last day of work is illegal and I have never heard of a pension board adding vacation/sick accumulation pay to the number they use to figure a pension amount.

This sounds to me like out and out illegal combined with a huge mistake on the pension boards part.

Where is the loophole they refer to?
Chgo Ridge

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Appalled wrote:
Question for Hold On:
Am I missing something? People keep referring to a "loophole" as the means to how he got away with this. My understanding is that salary spiking on the last day of work is illegal and I have never heard of a pension board adding vacation/sick accumulation pay to the number they use to figure a pension amount.
This sounds to me like out and out illegal combined with a huge mistake on the pension boards part.
Whatever they did had to be approved by the Mayor of Chicago Ridge and his Trustees. Also, the Pension Board is appointed by the Mayor and voted on by a Majority of the Chicago Ridge Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos, and James Saunoris.
Opinion

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

This guy will never know what it's like to live check to check. Thanks to our tax dollars! I'm glad I bust my ass every day just to make ends meet so he can sit back and laugh at all of us. What a piece of work. The law WILL catch up to this guy too. Just give them time...
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Chgo Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever they did had to be approved by the Mayor of Chicago Ridge and his Trustees. Also, the Pension Board is appointed by the Mayor and voted on by a Majority of the Chicago Ridge Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos, and James Saunoris.
Interesting.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what the Mayor and his posse do or who they appoint.....illegal is illegal.
Heartache

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Opinion wrote:
This guy will never know what it's like to live check to check. Thanks to our tax dollars! I'm glad I bust my ass every day just to make ends meet so he can sit back and laugh at all of us. What a piece of work. The law WILL catch up to this guy too. Just give them time...
Your Right... The Chicago Ridge Politicians live in a different world. How could they do this for Balermann. How could they vote to give former Village Public Works Director John "Jack" Lind a huge early buyout with a huge payout check and health Insurance. How could they allow him Three Government Paychecks. One - his Golden Parachute Pension, Two - Village Trustee Check, Three - Worth Township Check. Plus did he get paid for running the Chicago Ridge- Ridge Fest?
Mitt

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Chgo Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever they did had to be approved by the Mayor of Chicago Ridge and his Trustees. Also, the Pension Board is appointed by the Mayor and voted on by a Majority of the Chicago Ridge Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos, and James Saunoris.
brad grove Marist guy, timmy marist guy....see the connection????
Hold On

Hanover Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Appalled wrote:
Question for Hold On:
The loophole is that the case is tied up with a lawsuit filed in the courts to keep receiving this pay amount. Its well known that pension spiking including last day bonus pay and including unused vacation time is pension spiking and therefore illegal. So even though it is illegal and has been ruled on by the department of insurance he keeps getting the wrong pay amount that he should have never gotten. He also knows that if he loses in the courts he will get a lowered corrected amount but will not have to pay back the monies he should not have gotten for several years.
And every member of that pension board could be sued for failing to meet their fiduciary responsibility to the pension fund for voting on this final pay used to determine the pension amount. All members of a pension board are required to take at least 16 hrs of mandatory training per year in such matters. And should have consulted their pension fund lawyer and the department of insurance if they were unsure what to base his last day of pay on. They would have been glad to help out the board make the correct determination. In my opinion only this looks like a fraud, but it most certainly is a travesty at best. And you would have hoped that someone who was a police officer, mayor and now school superintendent would have the integrity to do the right thing. However we all see that is not the case, in fact he is suing the pension fund for attempting to do the proper thing and adjust his payments to the proper level. That should tell you something about the mans character right there. I mean he would still get close to $70,000 a year tax free. Then his 18,000 as mayor and now $127,000 as the superintendent of a 110 student school district. That comes out to about $215,000 a year. Not too shabby. But I guess that extra $59,000 tax free a year comes well ahead of whats right and honest to do. Yes sir a real role model for the kids.
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Hold On wrote:
<quoted text>
And every member of that pension board could be sued for failing to meet their fiduciary responsibility to the pension fund for voting on this final pay used to determine the pension amount. All members of a pension board are required to take at least 16 hrs of mandatory training per year in such matters. And should have consulted their pension fund lawyer and the department of insurance if they were unsure what to base his last day of pay on. They would have been glad to help out the board make the correct determination.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

I am familiar with Mayors pulling fast ones like last day salary spiking, but I was really surprised that the pension board allowed the vacation/sick pay to be figured in. When that number came up higher than his working salary, questions should have been asked. That was an immediate and obvious red flag and I find it really hard to believe that was a legitimate mistake.
Hold On

Hanover Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Directly qouted from Balderman in the paper. "all of this was done in the light of day, there was nothing sneaky or undercover. If the shouldnt have done it, they shouldnt have done it. But they did."

Ok former police chief. If my bank makes a mistake and puts a thousand dollars in my account, I should get to keep it? Only in this case the amount is $59,000 of ill gotten money going into his account by mistake every year. If that does not speak for itself, maybe this will. He is screwing every officer who is currently working in Chicago Ridge and every retired officer who counts on that pension fund. As well as the citizens of Chicago Ridge and the whole state of Illinois by taking this money. Right there tells me this guy is a complete piece of crap.
Truth

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Appalled wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly what I was thinking.
I am familiar with Mayors pulling fast ones like last day salary spiking, but I was really surprised that the pension board allowed the vacation/sick pay to be figured in. When that number came up higher than his working salary, questions should have been asked. That was an immediate and obvious red flag and I find it really hard to believe that was a legitimate mistake.
The Chicago Ridge Pension Board did what the Chicago Ridge Mayor and his Chicago Ridge Trustees wanted. Then the item was voted by the full Chicago Ridge Village Board. Once the media got involved the Chicago Ridge Politicians circled the wagon and filed a legal action. Bottom line Chicago Ridge Mayor and Village Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos, James Saunoris voted to give Baldermann and Jack Lind the sweet heart deal.
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Hold On wrote:
Directly qouted from Balderman in the paper. "all of this was done in the light of day, there was nothing sneaky or undercover. If the shouldnt have done it, they shouldnt have done it. But they did."
Ok former police chief. If my bank makes a mistake and puts a thousand dollars in my account, I should get to keep it? Only in this case the amount is $59,000 of ill gotten money going into his account by mistake every year. If that does not speak for itself, maybe this will. He is screwing every officer who is currently working in Chicago Ridge and every retired officer who counts on that pension fund. As well as the citizens of Chicago Ridge and the whole state of Illinois by taking this money. Right there tells me this guy is a complete piece of crap.
I don't think the screwing ends in CR. Public employees everywhere feel the heat because citizens hear these numbers and use them to justify their argument that ALL public employees make too much money and are out to screw the taxpayers.

I really hope that if anything comes out of this, it is the understanding that not all public employees behave or condone this kind of behavior.
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>The Chicago Ridge Pension Board did what the Chicago Ridge Mayor and his Chicago Ridge Trustees wanted. Then the item was voted by the full Chicago Ridge Village Board. Once the media got involved the Chicago Ridge Politicians circled the wagon and filed a legal action. Bottom line Chicago Ridge Mayor and Village Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos, James Saunoris voted to give Baldermann and Jack Lind the sweet heart deal.
I've lived under that kind of regime and I know the weight it can carry. Still, illegal is illegal and I always live with the hope that these cheaters get their just due.
golly gee folks

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Balderman just wanted to join Mitt in the 1%, that is why he became a RepubliCON.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••