a shot at 'the preserve'

Full story: Hartford Courant

Even the darkest of clouds can have a silver lining. As painful as the economic disruption has been, it presents a unique opportunity to save a jewel-like piece of land - a 1,000-acre forest near Connecticut's ...
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2013
Bob

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2008

Judged:

This property should definitely be protected, but unfortunately the state is facing a massive budget deficit so it will be a hard sell.
Gladys

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

You are worried about trees , what about all the retirement money that is tied up in the Lehman collapse. Don't you realize that our future comes before your need to "smell the roses" how selfish of you!
Brian

South Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

It is amazing that in these troubled economic times the "open space" crowd keeps right on advocating for spending our tax dollars. Here is a note to the clueless author of this editorial. We don't have the money to buy any land in CT. This land should be sold to the highest bidder, and if that bidder happens to be a land trust, then so be it. If it is sold to a developer, that is fine too.
diver

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Brian wrote:
It is amazing that in these troubled economic times the "open space" crowd keeps right on advocating for spending our tax dollars. Here is a note to the clueless author of this editorial. We don't have the money to buy any land in CT. This land should be sold to the highest bidder, and if that bidder happens to be a land trust, then so be it. If it is sold to a developer, that is fine too.
The author of this article is far from clueless. She and others like her have sacrificed hours of time and money fighting this development. Its preservation is in the best interest of the state and future residents who care about clean drinking water and the quality of life in general. While the State of Connecticut may not have the financial resources available at this time, it will at some point, and in conjunction with land-preservation groups that have financial strength this gem can be purchased and turned into a State Park that everyone can enjoy and benefit from. In the end, all financial wealth comes from and depends upon nature.
diver

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

When the economy gets better the State, working with the Town of Old Saybrook and conservation groups like The Nature Conservancy should purchase and protect this land. It could become a state park that everyone can enjoy. Its protection from development will help increase our quality of life, protect drinking water and provide countless benefits for future generations.
Bernie

Guilford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2008

Judged:

What little land we have is our heritage. It is what we have to give to our children and grandchildren! THINK about what will be left for them. Think about what we are doing to our country. Tink about the ecological consequences of development. Think. Hey! And I don't know how I will pay the nest mortgage. There are priorities.
Jeff Main_New Fairfield

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2008

Judged:

The Connecticut coastline forest community has gone the way of much of the shoreline around Long Island Sound, a history of little restrained development and a 'picking away' at the greater ecosytem of which our precious Sound is the center. It is important for the people of Connecticut and its leaders, both public and corporate, to step up to the plate and help make this parcel a permantently protected and functional part of what makes the L.I. Sound an essential, and perhaps the defining, part of the quality of life for all of us in the region. The pursuit of this stop-gap approach is in lockstep with the Long Island Sound Stewardship Initiative and the Federal legislation that supports these endeavors. Let's not let this opportunity slip away..
Long term resident

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2008

Judged:

The shoreline is replete with open space - not only state, federal and town parks but few understand that we, for the most part, have two acre zoning that adds literally square miles of woodland to our environment. What the pretend tree huggers real objective is to keep new people out - Nimbys - "I am here now and I do not want any change". Per usual they are shooting the wrong messenger. What is needed is to stop the population growth that continues to push for more and more housing - stop being ansy about restricting illegal and legal immigration, abortion and birth control that would stabilize the housing market and make breaking new ground unattractive. Another factor would be to stop listening to the myrid retirees, with sizeable pensions and other income and nothing concrete to do. Instead of playing golf or dying off, too many are seeking a second career reforming the environment .
I have walked the land

Buzzards Bay, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Don't any of you get it? Money, is the king. L.. Brothers', tree's, retirement, starving children, none of that counts because money rules. Is that a bad thing? NO. We need money to live. We need money to save trees. We need money to save our economic system.We spend too much, we do not save enough. We must all do what is right for our families. Food vs trees, not much of a choice. Do what is right ! I did.
Bobby Lexington

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

Let's rise above the day to day concerns about short term economic situations and do something for civilization and the future, shall we?

Would you like to be remembered one thousand years from today for preserving beautiful land or keeping your savings safe?
Jeffrey Tauarez

Crownsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

never thought i would find one that was totally free, they all usually ask you for a credit card, but this one didnt! i was able to chat and use every feature of the site for free, send and receive messages, check my flirts and even free video chat. you guy and girls should really check this one out! its definitely worth a look http://tinyurl.com/mtaocof

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••