Woman's death in reported St. Paul break-in ruled a homicide

Heidi Firkus, 25, was fatally shot Sunday during an apparent break-in at the St. Full Story
VCDaedalus

Saint Louis, MO

#314 May 8, 2010
dora wrote:
<quoted text>
so very true Mmg...I hate guns too..people who dont have an expertise in handling them should not be running around thier house with a rifle going after an "intruder"..CALL THE COPS! And ya know, its not like it was a little hand gun..They were supposedly wrestling over a rifle..doesnt it make sense that the shots that went off would likely be in the air or towards the ceiling???? Not in you wifes back!
Well, maybe it happened this way: He's wrestling the guy, and they've got the gun between them, crosswise. Heidi tries to edge around behind her husband and get to the kitchen (for whatever reason). Husband yanks down and back on the gun, trying to get it away, and it goes off at just the right angle to hit her in the back as she turns away from him. That's a possibility. As for the second shot, who knows.
Wasp

Minneapolis, MN

#315 May 8, 2010
VCDaedalus wrote:
It could have been purchased by a real-estate investor and would be "staged" for a new buyer. It wouldn't necessarily mean an immediate occupancy.
Oh, Please, if I could get a good deal on a house in this economy, I wouldn't care if it belonged to Jack the Ripper before me.
flowergirl

Saint Paul, MN

#316 May 8, 2010
She could have been running towards the back door, it's thru the kitchen. It's very sad whatever happened. The house had a wonderful energy when I lived in in for 5 and a half years before the Fircus' bought it. I've had trouble sleeping thinking that something so bizarre and tragic could have happened in my old house. I think many people would hesitate to buy a home with a history like this. I wonder when/if we'll ever know what really went down.
malachy

Minneapolis, MN

#317 May 10, 2010
again, shouldn't the pioneer press - and other, local media - be pressing the police about whether or not there is a burglar/murderer on the loose in saint paul? my only other assumption is that the police gave the media a wink-and-a-nod deal on this one, like, "we'll give you info right away when we charge the guy."
A Friend

Minneapolis, MN

#318 May 10, 2010
I am disgusted. Everyone of you should be ashamed. How dare you judge Nick before any real evidence has actually been released. The first week of news articles was all purely guesing with the only real facts being what little the police would actually reveal. My brother spoke with nick at the funeral and he revealed that so much had not been revealed because they were waiting for the investigation, such as the fact that they were attempting to get our of the house when they encountered the intruder. I know that your jumping to judgment is not really your fault, you see so much of this in the news and on tv that you automatically assume. Nick is not OJ, he had a higher purpose in life that losing his house would not deter. It has now been 3 weeks, no arrest. Will you all apologize when it comes out that he did not kill his wife? I wonder.
guess again

Cottage Grove, MN

#319 May 10, 2010
A Friend wrote:
I am disgusted. Everyone of you should be ashamed. How dare you judge Nick before any real evidence has actually been released. The first week of news articles was all purely guesing with the only real facts being what little the police would actually reveal. My brother spoke with nick at the funeral and he revealed that so much had not been revealed because they were waiting for the investigation, such as the fact that they were attempting to get our of the house when they encountered the intruder. I know that your jumping to judgment is not really your fault, you see so much of this in the news and on tv that you automatically assume. Nick is not OJ, he had a higher purpose in life that losing his house would not deter. It has now been 3 weeks, no arrest. Will you all apologize when it comes out that he did not kill his wife? I wonder.
>
>

Blah! Blah! Blah!
Has he taken a polygraph yet?
DannyBoy29

Calgary, Canada

#320 May 11, 2010
A Friend wrote:
good, I am glad to hear you are disgusted.....should we throw a party in Nick's honor? Yes, many of us are jumping to conclusions, speculating what relly COULD have happenend, SO WHAT? It is human nature, it is our God given right to write what we want, to post what we want and to think what WE want to think. I will speak for myself only when I say that I think Nick did it. The facts, as they have been presented here indicate some troubling issues going on with Niok and Heidi, issues that often, well let's just say the endings usually aren't too happy. This story is very interesting and yes, we are all waiting to hear or see what happens next...in the meantime, we can speculate all we want. I am not bashing Nick, attacking his character or anything of that nature for you see I do NOT know the man. All I know is that they were having money problems and now his wife is dead....have we seen this type fo scenario before? Of course we have, hence, that is what a lot of folks are basing their opinions on. I was young and married and had finanacial problems too and I know first hand how difficlut they can be to deal with ...I will be first in line to give Nick credit and apologize if need be. I have no problem at all admittting when I am wrong so I will sit and wait like the rest of us have to. In the meantime, you console and support your friend as friend's are supposed to do and we will all sit and wait to hear St Paul's finest and their next move. peace.
DannyBoy29

Calgary, Canada

#321 May 11, 2010
flowergirl wrote:
She could have been running towards the back door, it's thru the kitchen. It's very sad whatever happened. The house had a wonderful energy when I lived in in for 5 and a half years before the Fircus' bought it. I've had trouble sleeping thinking that something so bizarre and tragic could have happened in my old house. I think many people would hesitate to buy a home with a history like this. I wonder when/if we'll ever know what really went down.
I am sure it must be very strange for you, I can only imagine. I used to live over there myself, actually thought it was THE house I lived in but it was not, I used to live at 1732 Minnehaha back in the 80's.. It is a nice area and neighborhood. My sis and BIL live 3 blocks from there so I am over there once in a while and again, it's a nice area...BUT we all know that people can snap at anytime and that they are capable of anything when pushed into a corner, much like an animal. This is a very intriguing story and we are all waiting for the next bit of info to leak out..
observer

Harleysville, PA

#322 May 11, 2010
A Friend wrote:
Apparently you were not a friend of hers, too...
Mmg

Saint Paul, MN

#323 May 11, 2010
I have to jump on danny's boat. Nobody wants or is trying to disparage anyone,look through the posts time and time again we have stated maybe it happened this way or that way ? I live 600 feet from them and hope and pray the case is solved fast! So consider friend ....most of us here(some are harsh,true) but most do look at both sides fairly. Peace, out!
Mmg

Saint Paul, MN

#324 May 11, 2010
Also friend... This is my neighborhood and everyday now I worry if there is a murderer intruder loose or wtf! I pay to own a home adjacent to where some poor woman was murdered and it scares me to think someone actually broke into their house though I pray that's what in fact happened!
Mmg

Saint Paul, MN

#325 May 11, 2010
Lastly and I will stop (sorry but you rattled me on this one) friend . Are you telling all of us that you have Not discussed this case with anyone? Different scenarios have not gone through your mind? I know it must b hard for you, I get that really but don't judge us like we are all hoping it was the husband cause it's simply not true. As a neighbor I just fear it may go unsolved 4 certain......regards,mmg.
malachy

Minneapolis, MN

#326 May 11, 2010
A Friend wrote:
ok, so he was trying to get out of the house, with his wife and loaded shotgun, when he came upon the intruder. how does that change anything? police say there was no sign of struggle. what does nick say to that? they were just leaving with their loaded shotgun, the intruder grabbed the gun, shot the wife in the back as she ran and then nick in the leg, then the intruder ran off without any sign of scuffle? nothing taken? no forced entry? i mean, if you talked to nick, tell us what he offered up that makes him look less like the probable murderer here. because, as i see it, his saying they were trying to leave doesn't change the probabilities here. i hope he's doing all he can to help police find the real killer - maybe undergoing hypnosis to try to remember the intruder's race or any physical description beyond 6' tall with a hoodie on.
anonymous

Saint Paul, MN

#327 May 11, 2010
What is typical for cases such as this, when there is a lack of information coming from the police - is this unusual or does it happen often?

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#328 May 11, 2010
anonymous wrote:
What is typical for cases such as this, when there is a lack of information coming from the police - is this unusual or does it happen often?
I don't think a case like this is typical.

The police said that they needed to have a lot of tests run - a lot of forensics stuff. Unlike CSI, where all of the tests can be done at an in-house lab in under an hour, the real deal can take months and usually a lot of the testing is done by private contractors at offsite labs. It could be a while before we hear anything new regarding this case.
Wasp

Minneapolis, MN

#329 May 11, 2010
I wonder if the husband had a large life insurance policy on his wife?
DannyBoy29

Calgary, Canada

#330 May 11, 2010
Wasp wrote:
always a possibility and I bet one of the first things the police investigated....
VCDaedalus

Saint Louis, MO

#331 May 11, 2010
How soon was Susan Smith arrested after drowning her kids? It seems like that took more than a week.
Rosemary Thyme

Saint Paul, MN

#332 May 11, 2010
Wasp wrote:
she did work for a life insurance company.....hmmmm....
Lily

Saint Paul, MN

#333 May 11, 2010
It is hard to imagine that a husband could kill his wife, who he seemed to so darly love.
Even loving, Christian people can be overcome with stress and do the"unthinkable". That is the essence of "sin" and is why we broken people need our God.
Life is a gift and is our chance to do right, whether the first time or later. If her husband did err and commited murder, he can come clean, gain forgiveness, and get right with his God/Lord.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mortgage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arizona Lender Donates Interest Profits to Charity (Aug '13) 15 hr SandyWilliams 2
Phoenix Real Estate: Low Demand for Homes, High... (Apr '14) 15 hr SandyWilliams 3
JOBS: 10 Valley companies hiring now 15 hr SandyWilliams 4
Study: Mortgage Rates have Domino Effect on Eco... Mon creditrepairhouston 1
ROSENBERG: I've Been Through A Lot Of Crises, B... Oct 19 indict IVAN BOESKY 1
Architect of the Housing Bubble, Barney Frank, ... (Nov '11) Oct 17 tha Professor 655
Core Security Selected to Advance Eskan Banka s... Oct 17 MOMIN ANSARI 2

Mortgage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE