Pastor sentenced for misuse of church funds | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

The former pastor of World of Pentecost Church will spend five years in prison for misusing church funds, falsifying financial records and filing false income-tax returns.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of47
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
hrstrnr

West Chester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

I am so glad that he going to prison.. Maybe being a man of the cloth (and luxury cars) he can train fellow inmates, oh, I mean save fellow inmates from doing the same thing. Let's hope that he not be able to take funds from his fellow inmates, or even the guards, warden or the prison system itself. I'm sure he wil not participate in any illegal activities on the internet. Let us all remember him in our prayers!!!!!!!!!!
Mary

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

I wonder if this was one of non-denominational churches were the pastor is totally in charge and does not have to answer to anyone. Believe me, after having been in a church like that for twenty years (before I finally fled), I can say that such unbridled power will corrupt anyone. Perhaps my former pastor will be next.
sam the sham

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

That's either a bad haircut or an even worse toupee. Either way, I say it's justification to tack an extra year onto his sentence.
Not a Buckeye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

I'm sure he was a god fearing Christian who taught everyone to hate gays, put a lot of money in Republican Causes, and had impecable family values. Just like all the other hateful Christians.

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Greed is human. Adam's eyes got big when he saw the Apple that Eve had. Once you get addicted to money you just want more. Harnessing the craving for money is divine.
Buckeye Fan

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

This former Pastor will be doing hard time. Very sad. I pray for his safety for the five years that he is in prison.

The love of money is the root of all evil. We are so blessed to have a forgiving God. If this Pastor wants forgiveness, God will give it.
Rob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

if god were real, this man would be in deep doodoo!
Preachers Kid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

David Thompson was in The "UPC" United Pentecostal Church International. As the child of a UPC minister, I am familiar with many of the UPC church problems in Ohio. These postings got me to thinking about all of the UPC church scandals that I have heard about over the past 20+ years. I started enumerating them in my mind and was shocked at how long the list was. The list of present and former UPC ministers reads like a who's who, of bad behavior.

The most obvious ones are of course the ones currently in the news. That would be the David Thompson fraud and embezzlement trial and the Daniel Monk sex case.

Also, in just the past few years: There was a former UPC church on Dempsey Rd., in Westerville, where pastor Robinson sold the church for over a million dollars. He eventually took all of the churches money and left town.

There was a UPC church in Galloway where the pastor was ousted for being involved with illegal drugs and a woman of ill repute.

There was a UPC church on Groveport Rd. where the pastor resigned over some complaints about his money dealings. He now pastors the UPC church in Westerville.

There was a UPC church on Toy Rd., near Groveport, where the pastor closed the church, sold their new church building to the Muslims and moved out of town. It is now a Muslim Mosque.

The UPC Ohio District Superintendent's son, also a UPC minister, was recently divorced amidst some scandalous accusations

Going back a few more years:
The pastor of the UPC church that was formerly on Greenwood Ave., one of the larger, main, churches, divorced his wife and married his mistress, a church secretary.

A UPC pastor in Lancaster, was having extramarital affairs with two different women in his church at the same time. As I recall, it was exposed when one of the women became pregnant.

There was a UPC pastor in Wheelersburg that was voted in to serve on the UPCI State board of presbyters. Within a few weeks he was ousted for having an extramarital affair.

According to TV news reports, there was a former UPC pastor named Willie Davis that also crossed paths with the law. Coincidentally, he was once pastor of the same UPC church that is at the center of the David Thompson fraud and embezzlement trial. The news reports said that Davis was running an illegal pyramid, ponzi scam. They reported that millions were stolen form various UPC and other church members. Davis's son-in-law, also a pastor, later lost his pastorate over an extramarital affair with a woman in his church.

The UPC Ohio District church officials were sued in a Franklin county court by one of their own UPC ministers.

There was a UPC church in West Jefferson where the pastor was ousted for forgery and other crimes.

An older UPC pastor in Reynoldsburg was removed for having an extramarital affair with a young woman in his church.

An older UPC pastor in Delaware OH, was also removed for having an extramarital affair with a young woman in his church.

A pastor in one of the UPC churches in Toledo, was reportedly having extramarital gay sex with young men that were UPC church members.

There was another UPC minister in the news named Ron Smith. He evidently went to prison on drug charges and later died of a drug overdose.

This is just some of the Ohio stuff I can think of now. There have been some big time UPC headquarters men that turned out to be gay, One of them was even arrested for soliciting gay sex in a public park.

One could write a 1000 page book on this UPC scandal stuff.

What is so bogus about these UPC preachers is how they try to control everyone's life in their church, when they cannot even control their own life. Obviously, I saw to much when I was young and don't want anything to do with the UPC. Fortunately, my father saw the light before he passed away and left the UPC too. There are a lot of good churches out there that people can go to without being church slaves to these hypocrite UPC pastors.
Truth Teller

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

The "UPCI" does not allow their women to cut their hair, wear slacks, makeup, etc. The Pastors in this cult-like fellowship have almost total control of the church. They retain that control by ridding the church of any member that challenges or disagrees with them. Retiring pastors, often hand down their pastorate to relatives. This keeps their tax-free, family business, in the family. Installing a son as pastor will insure that one keeps getting money from the church during retirement. David Thompson was the pastor of his father's hand-me-down church before he was arrested.

"Only two types of ministers can belong to the UPCI. Those who are dishonest themselves and/or those who are comfortable turning a blind eye to dishonesty." Having faith does not mean having blind faith. To be accepting of the conduct of UPCI leaders, requires one to ignore reality. It is not an affront to God and/or religion to expose corrupt leadership. Hiding, spinning, and covering up the truth is the genuine affront to God and religion. The public understands that people do wrong. What they despise is those who attempt to cover up wrongdoing in the name of religion.

The UPCI has a long history of covering up the sins of their pastors. Especially, if the pastor is well connected in their fellowship. They do not come clean until they are forced into the light by others who expose them. The core problem with the UPCI is that the thousands of local church lay members, who pay the bills, have no say at all in the running of the church organization. Only the politicos and pastors have a vote. "Absolute power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

While many good and honest people may attend local UPCI churches, the core leadership of the UPCI is totally corrupt. The scandals and lawsuits that they have endured in recent years, verify this fact. The corrupt leadership stays in power by hiding their embarrassment from the local church members. It is actually a good thing that law enforcement is finally stepping in and taking action against some of these criminal pastors. Hopefully it will encourage the local church members to better consider what they have been supporting. The lay members need to rise up and demand a say in the running of their local churches and their national UPCI fellowship. If the lay members are not granted a vote and a voice, they should go elsewhere to church.
HolierThanThou

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

liars,cheaters,adulterers,exto rtionist,rapist,pediphiles,mur derers,pillagers,boogeyman believers...where do I sign up to be apart of these hypocritical, fear mongers of the unknown (pick up a science book retards)that call themselves christians? You people are such a joke and are too stupid to know that the majority laugh at your ignorance.
Centaur

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

I went to that church once after being invited by a church member. I was shortly asked to leave, because they didn't like my attitude. I went in for an attitude adjustment, because I thought that what church was for.
I guess I didn't put enough in the offering plate.
CountDrac

Maybrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Go Figure wrote:
He probably wishes he was the rev. Rod Parsley. Parsley's church can afford to lease a large jet for $500,000/year. There people don't ask what the money is for, they just hand it over, no questions asked. Poor Sheep.
AMEN..!!
There's sure a hellava flock "crock of sheep" out there!
Chri$tmas was a bunch of $$$ elves everyday following this joker!
Now it's CHRISTmas in the big fun house/he'll go from the little sheep to some wildass babooons!

proud pentecostal

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

@preachers kid

dude seriously? did you just copy and paste your comment from the previous article when this first came out?? lol i'll pray for you dude
Preachers Kid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

proud pentecostal wrote:
@preachers kid
dude seriously? did you just copy and paste your comment from the previous article when this first came out?? lol i'll pray for you dude
I have no problem repeating myself. I want everyone to know what the UPCI is really about. I can only hope that these recent events will open some eyes before they waste their life in this cult.
proud pentecostal

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

Preachers Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem repeating myself. I want everyone to know what the UPCI is really about. I can only hope that these recent events will open some eyes before they waste their life in this cult.
"Judge not lest ye be judged" comes to mind. the UPCI is not a cult, they don't brain wash people into their mode of thinking. They have a list of standards and beliefs that are taught and many follow. Yes there are churches that are not very welcoming unless your hair is a certain length or your skirt is a certain length, and you've never seen a movie, etc. But not all churches are like that and to stereotype all UPCI churches that way is simply wrong. What message does that send to someone who might be reading this about the love and grace of Jesus Christ? Are you trying to say that Jesus can't be found in a UPCI church? I would beg to differ, and if I was looking for a church and read some of the things that have been posted on here, I would simply turn away from christianity as a whole. Thankfully I am a born again believer and don't have that problem. So like I said I'll pray for you.
Rod

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

This is happening more and more in churches across America. You should go to www.watchmansecurityconsulting.com . They do a great job of keeping people informed of what is going on in churches throughout the world. Praise God for His forgiveness.
Truth Teller

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

proud pentecostal wrote:
<quoted text>
"Judge not lest ye be judged" comes to mind. the UPCI is not a cult, they don't brain wash people into their mode of thinking. They have a list of standards and beliefs that are taught and many follow./ So like I said I'll pray for you.
You go with that "Proud Pentecostal" if it gives you mental comfort. Unfortunately, your Galilean speech has betrayed you. You are the typical UPC cult follower. Every time the truth is exposed and someone airs the UPC's dirty laundry, they are told they shouldn't judge, they have a bad spirit, they are bitter, etc. I have heard it all a thousand times.

"Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." The truth is not what it just good P-R for the UPC. It is a sad state of affairs, if one has to cover up the wrongdoing of UPC ministers and their organization officials, to promote religion. As I said earlier, it is not an affront to God and/or religion to expose corrupt leadership. Hiding, spinning, and covering up the truth is the genuine affront to God and religion. The public understands that people do wrong. What they despise are those who attempt to cover up wrongdoing in the name of religion.

The UPC, like any other church fellowship, has the ability to do great things. Unfortunately, that will never happen without a major house cleaning of their corrupt leadership. That house cleaning will never happen as long as the local church lay members, who pay the bills, have no say at all in the running of their church organization. Start limiting the funds that UPC ministers control and have access to and one will see a huge thinning of the herd.

Try visiting some other types of churches and you might see a better way to do things. But then if you do visit some other types of churches, open your mind and try to better inform yourself, you will no longer be welcome in the UPCI cult.
Grown up

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2010

proud pentecostal wrote:
@preachers kid
Even though they are repeated, Preacher's Kid's comments are accurate, and his suggestions are needed. He's just discussing situations in Ohio. Please check out other sources for cases of fraud and criminal misconduct connected with the United Pentecostal Church in other states. I'm a former United Pentecostal, and after trying to work within their system for years, I decided for my health and my sanity that I no longer wanted to be associated with the organization.
Grown up

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2010

ReActShunAry wrote:
One more example of the persecution of Christians in this country. I am sure these charges were trumped up in order to do the work of the Devil. Free the pastor NOW!!
I agree that this is an example of Christians being persecuted, but I don't mean the pastor. The Christians being persecuted were sitting in the pews. Honest, hardworking people who just wanted to do something for God. How much of their money should they give without questioning this guy's misconduct? How much of their existence should be controlled by this type of person? When is it enough?
Amanda

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2010

Pastor Thomspon is the assiant pastor at my church I believe that everythng that is going on will be a testimony for him.God has a plan for him and everything is going to work out for the good..U wont be in there for long hold on we r all peaying for u and dont mind what others say..Love u Pastor T!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of47
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••